To my shame

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
SEA and NE have similarities and differences.

One similarity is they are both active in free agency and are good at it.

The key difference is that NE is more a system team (like the Packers) whereas SEA is a play making team.

The game Chancellor played against NE is a case in point. (It occurred to me check NFC DPOW after writing that last sentence...yup, Chancellor.) We could call him the Chancellor of the O-chequer, a stretched pun (my wife is groaning) that I'm sure you get.

Seattle's D is built around the glue of Wagner and Thomas in the middle of the field, with the other guys swirling around them trying to make plays. They stick Chancellor in the box and just let him do his thing. The last time we saw something like that in GB was Woodson in 2010, and I suspect it was not planned so much as tolerated, in the vein of "no, no, no, yes!" I gotta say, Chandler's diving tackle from the backside at the goal line is a good a defensive play as you'll ever see.

NE, on the other has dispensed, with players like Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins. It's not that NE thinks they are not good players; Belichick just doesn't want to pay top dollar for free-lancing that doesn't quite square with the system.

NE has a TE/slot-centric system that is designed to exploit match-ups, mostly on the cheap compared to a WR/TE-centric system. If the best value propositions in market shift to WRs, though that's hard to envision, Belichick would switch the system back again.

SEA's offense, again, is more a big play affair, especially with Lynch's retirement. They look bad in one series with fits and starts, strike with big plays the next.

Another commonality is they don't like to invest a lot in the O-Line. It's a moneyball-type approach: in most seasons you could characterize their O-Lines as decent run blockers who won't appear very often on any Pro Football Focus list because their pass blocking is usually better than average, sometimes worse.

So, a playmaking team stays fresh with fresh playmakers. A system team stays fresh by adapting the system to the resources that present good bargains.

All good points but in Seattle's case it is important to not leave out Bobby Wagner and what he allows them to do on defense as well.

The other thing that should be brought up here is Seattle was 4-5 last year at this point and still made the playoffs and two years ago there was talk of Tom Brady being finished after a blowout loss to Kansas City and they ended up winning the Suoer Bowl so these teams are not immune to set backs either.

This is a "week to week" league and although I am as frustrated as anyone right now after last three L' s I could still see the Packers making a run this year. Adding Cook to the lineup could prove to be the final piece this offense needs to fully get back on track. On defense getting Randle, Rollins, and Shields healthy could do the same for the defense.

I still believe this Packer team can compete with anyone in the league. One could point to most of the Packers starters and having very low favorable snap counts compared to other teams such as Seahawks or Pats at this time for example. There are many dynamics to all of this and all is not lost. We shall see how it all plays out.

With all that said I like our chances right now better then last year at this time considering the overall scope of tbings.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

This is a "week to week" league and although I am as frustrated as anyone right now after last three L' s I could still see the Packers making a run this year. Adding Cook to the lineup could prove to be the final piece this offense needs to fully get back on track. On defense getting Randle, Rollins, and Shields healthy could do the same for the defense.

With all that said I like our chances right now better then last year at this time considering the overall scope of tbings.

While Cook might help the offense as a tight end capable of stretching a defense it's essential that McCarthy and Ridgers stick to the ball control offense that worked earlier this season.

Unfortunately on defense it will take Randall some more weeks to return to action with Shields most likely done for good. The unit has to significantly improve rushing the passer to perform better.

Overall I don't feel confident the team will be able to turn it around this season but would love to be proven wrong.

Members online

Latest posts