TNF: Green Bay goes to Seattle

H

HardRightEdge

He may pull a hammy if I run away from him :cool:
Or just leave the "fairy" stuff out of it and find a word for "brittle" that rhymes with "Perry".

Though not rhymes, hear are a couple that are alliterative if not particulary artful:

Perishing Perry
Powdery Perry (though that's kinda what you want to avoid)
Pulverizeable Perry

Or we could just go with injury prone.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or just leave the "fairy" stuff out of it and find a word for "brittle" that rhymes with "Perry".

Though not rhymes, hear are a couple that are alliterative if not particulary artful:

Perishing Perry
Powdery Perry (though that's kinda what you want to avoid)
Pulverizeable Perry

Or we could just go with injury prone.
Perry does not drink Dairy!.....equals brittle!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron hasn't been the same since he gave up dairy. We need to start a petition to get him consuming dairy in the self-proclaimed dairy state!

D

Deleted member 6794

They are second in attempts and average nearly 5 per run without a dominant "lead back" type of guy. This tells me they aren't gaining these yards by simply running the ball every play rather being efficient in their attack. I would say that makes them a pretty darn good run blocking team. I watched Chris Carson play in person on numerous occasions and he is no Pro Bowl caliber RB. He was buried on the depth chart during much of his time in Stillwater. He is a nice enough player but the run blocking has allowed him to flourish as much as he has.

The Seahawks average 4.76 yards per rushing attempt with 3.13 coming after contact. Although the Packers offensive line is often criticized for their run blocking running backs average 2.48 yards per carry before being contacted.

Though this game is huge for the Packers as well, even with a loss, they could bounce back against the Vikes and be right back in the thick of the division race.

I don't want to be playing devil's advocat here but the Packers could end up 2.5 games behind the Bears with six games left if they lose at Seattle.

Absolutely not, the contract TT gave him was ludicrous.

Geez, Cobb was coming off a season with 91 receptions for 1,287 yards and 12 touchdowns when the Packers re-signed him. He even took a discount to stay in Green Bay. For the umpteenth time, Thompson didn't have the benefit of using hindsight to make a decision.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hindsight only you say? What were his stats prior to that 1 season? Here they are from 2011-2013 over those 3 seasons combined he had 136 receptions for 1762 yards and 13 tds. So on average, leading up to the contract year that you pointed out, he had 45 catches, 587 yards and 4 tds per year. About the same production we have gotten out of him since. Only time he has produced anything above average was in a contract year. I am not convinced 1 above average season puts a guy in nfl elite status but for you and TT it apparently does. Perry is another example of a 1 hit wonder That TT figured was worth paying top dollar for. Just a bit skeptical when there is a drastic change in production when the contract is almost up, to me it’s a big red flag, look at the big picture. Idk what was going on during this time frame in TT’s mind, but on more than 1 occasion the guys he let walk turned out pretty darn good and the guys he locked up long term to top dollar contracts have failed to live up to their contracts. It is impossible to miss on that many moves and stay on top in this league.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hindsight only you say? What were his stats prior to that 1 season? Here they are from 2011-2013 over those 3 seasons combined he had 136 receptions for 1762 yards and 13 tds. So on average, leading up to the contract year that you pointed out, he had 45 catches, 587 yards and 4 tds per year. About the same production we have gotten out of him since. Only time he has produced anything above average was in a contract year. I am not convinced 1 above average season puts a guy in nfl elite status but for you and TT it apparently does.

You completely ignore two things.

First of all Cobb didn't play a lot during his rookie season which isn't surprising considering the team featured Nelson, Jennings, Finley, Jones and Driver as pass catchers.

In addition his 2013 season was cut short because of a freak injury he suffered in Cincinnati but he had 111 receptions for 1,387 yards and 12 touchdowns in only 21 games during his second and third year in the league.

Thompson made the right decision to re-sign him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't average Cobb's 1st 3 seasons and say "see, he wasn't that good" He was a ****ing rookie for goodness sakes 1 of those years. What you look at his his trend, and every year it was up. up. you know what that means? Before your revisionist history he had a decent rookie year a really good 2nd year, was on his way to a really good 3rd year being the leading receiver on the team and then broke a leg missing much of the season. Then came back and had a monster year. Those are the guys you do reward and keep around. The guys trending up, not the guys that have peaked. And Perry had his injury history built into the contract. Guys with his potential and production get paid all the time in this league. When healthy it would have been a steal for us, if injured it only would hurt some. Unfortunately it hurt some. That's how it goes.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You completely ignore two things.

First of all Cobb didn't play a lot during his rookie season which isn't surprising considering the team featured Nelson, Jennings, Finley, Jones and Driver as pass catchers.

In addition his 2013 season was cut short because of a freak injury he suffered in Cincinnati but he had 111 receptions for 1,387 yards and 12 touchdowns in only 21 games during his second and third year in the league.

Thompson made the right decision to re-sign him.
You seem to be ignoring the fact that when healthy Randall Cobb is an average nfl receiver.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You seem to be ignoring the fact that when healthy Randall Cobb is an average nfl receiver.
Cobb is an average receiver at this point in his career but he was a young, elite one when Thompson re-signed him in 2014.
Regardless, I think we can all agree that he's most likely a goner this off season unless he takes a massive pay cut.

D

Deleted member 6794

Regardless, I think we can all agree that he's most likely a goner this off season unless he takes a massive pay cut.

Even in that case it might be smart for the Packers to let Cobb walk away in free agency next offseason.

H

HardRightEdge

Even in that case it might be smart for the Packers to let Cobb walk away in free agency next offseason.
Probably. The injuries have been stacking up. Calendar age is one thing (29 next season), wear and tear is another.

There isn't anybody on the roster who could reliably take his place. Moore fits the mold at big slot, but at this point there's zero confidence in throwing him the ball. I don't think you can wait around for preseason to find out if he's worked past the hands issues. Put slot receiver on the draft priority list.
2014 Cobb was very, very good.
Yes he was. Besides the obvious stats, he caught 72% of his targets and made a first down on 78% of his catches. That second stat is insanely high. Here's the thing. He was the go-to guy on extended plays. For whatever reason he has not been that guy since.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can’t foresee Cobb being back at any price other than minimum type deals. Too injured too often. Still not sure what happened to him this time be he does no good I’m the training room and not in the field. He looked good to start the year, then had a poor game wit ball security and hasn’t seen it remotely healthy since.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like this game could be a big indicator of how the rest of the season will go. Unfortunately, I don't have a very good feeling about it. Seahawks, 24-20.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I can’t foresee Cobb being back at any price other than minimum type deals. Too injured too often. Still not sure what happened to him this time be he does no good I’m the training room and not in the field. He looked good to start the year, then had a poor game wit ball security and hasn’t seen it remotely healthy since.
I'm good rolling forward with Adams, MVS, EQ, and Allison on a cheap deal. Maybe Moore will have made a big leap forward by next season as well.

It's good that we have a couple young guys getting meaningful snaps right now. Might hurt us a bit this season, but it will set us up nicely for the next few years. MVS has the potential to explode.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am feeling pretty confident about tonight's game. Wilson always worries me because he is that guy that crushes your spirit when it's 3rd and 9 and you have him dead to rights and seconds later he is hook sliding 10 yds down field. I expect them to pound the rock with the run game so being assignment sound and maintaining gap integrity will be very important tonight. We also need to wrap up and get guys like Carson to the ground. Carson can be a load if you let him get his wheels going so sound, physical tackling will be huge. Offensively, I think we put plenty of points up against this D that is a shell of its former self. It also appears that KJW will be a no-go and that's great news for us. Jones should be able to run the ball effectively and I see him having another big game somewhere in the neighborhood of 17/110 and a score. The sample size is large enough now, this kid is a gifted RB and he needs to be utilized as such. I have been waiting for a game where the TE's are really used and I think tonight may be that game. Mercedes FINALLY had an explosive play last game and I would love to see more sets with both ML and JG on the field with ML being used to stretch the field and open some things up for others. Both of these guys are enormous human beings and I think they could cause some problems for the middle of this SEA D. Tae will score at least 1 TD because that's just what he does and MVS should have another nice game as well. RW gives us a costly pick and we roll from there...

Gimme Good Guys 31
Seahags 23

G P G!!

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm good rolling forward with Adams, MVS, EQ, and Allison on a cheap deal. Maybe Moore will have made a big leap forward by next season as well.

It's good that we have a couple young guys getting meaningful snaps right now. Might hurt us a bit this season, but it will set us up nicely for the next few years. MVS has the potential to explode.

The Packers might still need to add a slot receiver in Cobb's mold next offseason though.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers might still need to add a slot receiver in Cobb's mold next offseason though.
Good point. I actually meant to add that as a foot note in my post.

A reliable, cheap-ish free agent veteran would be ideal. The Packers will have the flexibility to do it with the savings from releasing Cobb.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is very close to AR, just had a baby, and has been in Green Bay a long time.

I can see him taking a pretty dramatic pay cut in order to stay, and I really don't see other teams in the league breaking the bank for him. Just a hunch though. The same exact thing could be said for Jordy and we know how that turned out.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Cobb is very close to AR, just had a baby, and has been in Green Bay a long time.

I can see him taking a pretty dramatic pay cut in order to stay, and I really don't see other teams in the league breaking the bank for him. Just a hunch though. The same exact thing could be said for Jordy and we know how that turned out.
Only difference with Jordy and Cobb is that (besides 2015 of course) Jordy has stayed pretty healthy and remained a reliable target for Rodgers. Cobb might have a little more trouble finding work outside of the Packers given his nagging history with hamstring injuries.

I could definitely see it going both ways, but I agree there's a good chance Cobb restructures to stay in a reduced role.

Members online

Latest posts