Titans at Packers [sun 12/27 @ 8:20pm]

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Somethings gotta give this game, I’m putting money on our coverages lol
Sounds like we won't need to punt. And it may be warm enough for Mason to put them deep in the end zone. Won't need our coverage teams in that case.
Admit it, you've never seen our return guys, have you? :p
I've missed several PACKERS games this season. Certainly don't have time for AFC wannabees.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like we won't need to punt. And it may be warm enough for Mason to put them deep in the end zone. Won't need our coverage teams in that case.

I've missed several PACKERS games this season. Certainly don't have time for AFC wannabees.
That would be nice

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they can hold them to 24 points and 350 yards offense, and make some timely big plays, I'm going to call it a good effort by the defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers slipped to the #2 spot in offense this past weak with the Chiefs at #1 now. The Titans rank at #11, but we all know they run the ball more, which can make offensive stats seem lower.

Just for the record, the Titans currently led the league in points scored. With both defenses struggling at times I fully expect the game on Sunday to be a close, high scoring affair.

My game plan would be eliminate special team mistakes (if you can) and focus on stopping Henry. Load up the box if you have to and take your chances with Tannehill. If we allow Henry to run all over us, time will be an issue and will limit our possessions. They may get some big passing plays, but we have to give our offense a chance to keep pace. Can't make turnovers of course for the same possession reasons. Tall order for us this week. It will be a good test to see if we are truly playoff ready.

The Titans passing game with Tannehill, Brown and Davis is good enough to make you pay for loading the box to stop Henry.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Just for the record, the Titans currently led the league in points scored. With both defenses struggling at times I fully expect the game on Sunday to be a close, high scoring affair.

I was talking rankings and not scoring. Some say scoring is the way to rank an offense, which I generally agree with. If you go that route then Titans are 1 and Packers are 3. If you flip to the defensive side in terms of scores allowed the Packers rank 14 and the Titans 21. It appears we have teams with good records because of their offensive play combined with average to below average defenses.

I don't have a good feeling about this one just because of recent history. Good running games have killed the Packers. I don't think I need to point to examples as everyone here knows the pain.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack already has opened up as the favorite???

4 points

FWIW, the spread seems to be an accurate predictor of results.

A quick look at the against-the-spread record for the whole league to date is 216-222-4 (if my scribbled addition is right)-- very close to .500 which is what it is supposed to be.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, the spread seems to be an accurate predictor of results.

A quick look at the against-the-spread record for the whole league to date is 216-222-4 (if my scribbled addition is right)-- very close to .500 which is what it is supposed to be.
Packers are 8-6 and Titans 7-7 ATS. Let those that get paid to do it do the work.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay struggles when the opposing team has a legitimate stud at RB and commits to the run. Mostert wasn't even a stud prior to last year's NFC title game, but he rushed for 220 yards and 4TDs while the Packers were unable to stop the bleeding. This year, Dalvin Cook ran for 226 yards and 4TDs.

Henry certainly has the chops to do better than Mostert and Cook did against our run defense. We have the ability to stop the run, and to keep pace with Henry with our offense, but need to put all of the pieces together for the win.

Seeing the Rams, the Steelers, and other teams struggle down the stretch makes me nervous but also gives me comfort that the Packers have been winning games in December.

Sevenfeet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay struggles when the opposing team has a legitimate stud at RB and commits to the run. Mostert wasn't even a stud prior to last year's NFC title game, but he rushed for 220 yards and 4TDs while the Packers were unable to stop the bleeding. This year, Dalvin Cook ran for 226 yards and 4TDs.

Henry certainly has the chops to do better than Mostert and Cook did against our run defense. We have the ability to stop the run, and to keep pace with Henry with our offense, but need to put all of the pieces together for the win.

Seeing the Rams, the Steelers, and other teams struggle down the stretch makes me nervous but also gives me comfort that the Packers have been winning games in December.

One thing for sure is that unless the game is a blowout, we will not give up on the run, even when we get behind. The only time I remember that happening was in the 4th quarter of the 1st Indy game when we got behind and couldn't score for the rest of the second half. Unusual for this team.

Derrick Henry is about 320 yards away from 2000 yards, which means that if it's possible to leave him in to try to chew up yardage, the coaching staff is not above a stats grab game. But at the same time, that's balanced with the game itself since a victory goes a long way to clinching a payoff berth and securing the AFC South title. We're not a drop back passing team....it's largely keyed on play action since having Henry in the backfield always has to be taken seriously by the defense. Henry only comes out during 3rd and long situations or if they want to get one of the other running backs like McNicols a crack at it. Henry is also one of the few players who gets BETTER as the year progresses. If he's dinged up at all because of the rigors of the season, you'd never know it.

Again, what worries me is our defense. AR won't have to worry about getting his jersey stained since it's unlikely anyone is putting him on the turf. We have 14 sacks...last in the league. We have six games this season without a sack. An experienced HOF QB will have all day to make good decisions. Offenses regularly see 60-75% effectiveness on 3rd down regardless of the skill of the QB.

Sevenfeet

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Never in 21 years of being a Titans fan did i ever expect that this was a stat I'd see.

The Titans passing game with Tannehill, Brown and Davis is good enough to make you pay for loading the box to stop Henry.

True. Henry sees 8+ in the box all season. And he doesn't care much. And this is with an O-line that is not complete/healthy. Our LT is a practice squad guy...we lost the first two to injury. The RT is the backup for our previous one we lost to free agency. Our guards and center are better, but the LG and C are playing banged up. So far, it's been enough for this high flying offense.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record, the Titans currently led the league in points scored.
With the Titans at 436 points scored and the Packers at 434 points scored, that's a pretty even match up. The two best offenses going at it, one with a balanced scoring attack and the other not so much. I'd bet that most of you will be surprised to know that the Titans are the more balanced attack:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

To me, the most important stat is in the turnover margin. The Titans also lead the league with a +12 while the Packers are tied for 8th place at +5. The Packers and Titans are tied for 1st place in give-aways, so the difference is that Tennessee forces more turnovers. They've got 13 INTs and 8 Fumble Recoveries while Green Bay has 8 INTs and 6 Fumble Recoveries. The Packers have to make sure that the turnover margin does not skew in Tennessee's favor.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Henry sees 8+ in the box all season. And he doesn't care much. And this is with an O-line that is not complete/healthy.
This is part of makes the legend of D Henry. Good players can beat the 1 on 1s. Great players can beat the double-teams. Henry routinely sees eight in the box and makes it look easy.

It should be fun. I'll be up north in the woods with my daughter and her friend, so at best I might be able to find a Canadian or long-range US station carrying the game. I'll have to watch it when I get back later in the week! Go Packers.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Titans at 436 points scored and the Packers at 434 points scored, that's a pretty even match up. The two best offenses going at it, one with a balanced scoring attack and the other not so much. I'd bet that most of you will be surprised to know that the Titans are the more balanced attack:

To me, the most important stat is in the turnover margin. The Titans also lead the league with a +12 while the Packers are tied for 8th place at +5. The Packers and Titans are tied for 1st place in give-aways, so the difference is that Tennessee forces more turnovers. They've got 13 INTs and 8 Fumble Recoveries while Green Bay has 8 INTs and 6 Fumble Recoveries. The Packers have to make sure that the turnover margin does not skew in Tennessee's favor.
Determining which offense is more balanced merely by touchdown statistics is rather silly.

Sevenfeet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is part of makes the legend of D Henry. Good players can beat the 1 on 1s. Great players can beat the double-teams. Henry routinely sees eight in the box and makes it look easy.

It should be fun. I'll be up north in the woods with my daughter and her friend, so at best I might be able to find a Canadian or long-range US station carrying the game. I'll have to watch it when I get back later in the week! Go Packers.

If you want a good chuckle on Derrick Henry plays, sports blog Korkedbats.com (which is based in Nashville but not Titans specific) has a series of "Breakdown" videos of great sports plays and they like featuring Derrick Henry, always hilarious.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I kinda feel like this is a game, that while we don't need to win, we do.

I mean obviously from a playoff positioning standpoint we can still lose this game and get the number 1 seed. Especially the Rams do their job up in Seattle. That's not really what I'm worried about.

But I really think the team needs to win from a psychological standpoint. The playoffs, even if we get HFA are going to be tough, and this game is going to have a playoff like edge to it.

Now as much as people are probably going to yell at the defense as they always do for no reason, if we lose it will be the fault of the offense. LaFleur must chew them out for bad 2nd halfs in Detroit and against the garbage Panthers and demand they score 50 in this one. The Titans have offense that no defenses have been able to stop, so you beat them by outscoring them and not taking stupid sacks.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Determining which offense is more balanced merely by touchdown statistics is rather silly.
So is picking and choosing what words you pay attention to...

I merely said balanced scoring attack, not balanced offense. Find something else to nitpick.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So is picking and choosing what words you pay attention to...

I merely said balanced scoring attack, not balanced offense. Find something else to nitpick.
Apparently, I misinterpreted your definition of scoring attack. To me that phrase really encompasses the entire offensive drive leading to a score. Apparently to you, it only refers to the single play that results in a score. I guess that’s fine if you want to drill down to that level, but I’m not sure what value it has when comparing the two teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was talking rankings and not scoring. Some say scoring is the way to rank an offense, which I generally agree with.

In general total yards isn't a great way to rank an offense or defense.

With the Titans at 436 points scored and the Packers at 434 points scored, that's a pretty even match up. The two best offenses going at it, one with a balanced scoring attack and the other not so much.

Just for the record, the Chiefs are ranked second in points scored with 435.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have had a negative attitude about this game for weeks. But I am choosing to have some optimism. I can't see them overlooking this game due to all the talk about Henry and how poorly the defense plays against the run. I'm hoping they want to prove something to themselves and play disciplined football. I'm not saying that they are going to win, but I think/hope they put up a good fight.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I kinda feel like this is a game, that while we don't need to win, we do.

I mean obviously from a playoff positioning standpoint we can still lose this game and get the number 1 seed. Especially the Rams do their job up in Seattle. That's not really what I'm worried about.

But I really think the team needs to win from a psychological standpoint. The playoffs, even if we get HFA are going to be tough, and this game is going to have a playoff like edge to it.

Now as much as people are probably going to yell at the defense as they always do for no reason, if we lose it will be the fault of the offense. LaFleur must chew them out for bad 2nd halfs in Detroit and against the garbage Panthers and demand they score 50 in this one. The Titans have offense that no defenses have been able to stop, so you beat them by outscoring them and not taking stupid sacks.

I'm hoping the guys will come into this game Sunday night with a purpose because so many of them were not happy with their performance against Carolina on Saturday.

Sevenfeet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing being discussed on Nashville sports talk radio is the Matt LaFleur vs. Mike Vrabel angle. We lost LaFleur to you guys a couple years back and it worked out well for him. We're about to lose our second OC since Arthur Smith's name has been spoken about as a head coach candidate around the league.

Fun fact...Arthur Smith, even with head coach money will make a pittance compared to his father, who is the billionaire founder and CEO of FedEx.

Latest posts