Time Outs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never understood that QBs seem to think that getting a 5 yard too much time penalty is the worst thing in the world. It must be the coaches telling them. Sure, there are situations when it makes sense. But there are also more situations where saving the time out is more important. I believe they need to think this out better.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never understood that QBs seem to think that getting a 5 yard too much time penalty is the worst thing in the world. It must be the coaches telling them. Sure, there are situations when it makes sense. But there are also more situations where saving the time out is more important. I believe they need to think this out better.
Agree. This happened last night. Forcing what I thought was an unnecessary TO. And the price was paid in Q4 when GB was out of TOs and otherwise would have been able to challenge and overturn an obviously bad spot on 4th and 17. It looked like Rodgers called that TO, and it appeared to be a bad judgement call, something very rare for him. Or maybe it was called by MM. Either way, it was a complete waste of a TO.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's OK to waste time outs in the first half but in the second half you need to treat those time outs like gold. It's not just Rodgers and McCarthy who do this. It's all around the league. I don't understand how this is such a hard concept to understand. If this happens in a playoff game it will probably cost you the game. Five more yards for the best offense in the league is hardly a death blow. Like was said, if Rodgers and/or McCarthy don't squander away all those time outs they can challenge the bad spot and it's game over. Let's hope this doesn't happen in a playoff game where we only have a three point lead.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in a game inches, yes, sometimes 5 yards is all the difference. I defer to MM and AR on how they'd choose to use them. I don't think any of those were "good' in the sense that it was a momentary lack of focus that caused them to be used, but to save 5 yards when driving, yes, that is a good use of a TO.

D

Deleted member 6794

There´s no doubt in my mind that the clock management has to improve. During the first three games it already happened twice that the Packers were out of timeouts early in a half (1:24 left in the first quarter vs. the Seahawks and 7:34 in the fourth vs. the Chiefs).

I´d rather have them take a five yard penalty once or twice than burn all timeouts for no reason.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, to be FAIR, the game seemed to be "in hand" at that point and perhaps they figured the TO's wouldn't come into play later on in the game. We were winning big at that point. So figured why not and called TO instead of taking the 5 yard penalty.

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, to be FAIR, the game seemed to be "in hand" at that point and perhaps they figured the TO's wouldn't come into play later on in the game. We were winning big at that point. So figured why not and called TO instead of taking the 5 yard penalty.

I hope they have learned not to do that anymore from the NFCCG.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Situational I suppose, but who wastes timeouts more than this coaching staff?

I don't mind too much in the first half, but when they start throwing them away in the second half it bugs me. I wish McCarthy would make that "a point of emphasis".....

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's 3rd and 9, time out? take the 5 yards? near the 20 on your side of the field? 3rd and 14 is easier right? from the 15?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is the kind of thing that’s easy to criticize in hindsight. Five yards can certainly be the difference between getting a first down or not, even for the best offense in the NFL (the Packers are currently 4th in scoring offense). If a TO is called that saves a TD drive, it’s obviously worth it, particularly in a playoff game in which they have a 3-point lead – but of course there’s no way to know what would have happened absent the TO. IMO the focus of this discussion should be getting the play calls into Rodgers more quickly. Since Clements is now the play caller, there’s really no excuse not to: He doesn’t have any of the other HC concerns McCarthy had when he called the plays. Clements, Rodgers and the offense are skilled at the hurry-up offense so they can obviously get the calls in more quickly. And IMO Rodgers knows the offense as well as Clements or McCarthy at this point. Get the plays in on time and trust him to adapt to the defense and the situation at the LOS.
Situational I suppose, but who wastes timeouts more than this coaching staff? I don't mind too much in the first half, but when they start throwing them away in the second half it bugs me. I wish McCarthy would make that "a point of emphasis".....
I agree second half TOs are more important, but you'd have to watch all the games in the league to know who "wastes timeouts more", wouldn't you?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the kind of thing that’s easy to criticize in hindsight. Five yards can certainly be the difference between getting a first down or not, even for the best offense in the NFL (the Packers are currently 4th in scoring offense). If a TO is called that saves a TD drive, it’s obviously worth it, particularly in a playoff game in which they have a 3-point lead – but of course there’s no way to know what would have happened absent the TO. IMO the focus of this discussion should be getting the play calls into Rodgers more quickly. Since Clements is now the play caller, there’s really no excuse not to: He doesn’t have any of the other HC concerns McCarthy had when he called the plays. Clements, Rodgers and the offense are skilled at the hurry-up offense so they can obviously get the calls in more quickly. And IMO Rodgers knows the offense as well as Clements or McCarthy at this point. Get the plays in on time and trust him to adapt to the defense and the situation at the LOS. I agree second half TOs are more important, but you'd have to watch all the games in the league to know who "wastes timeouts more", wouldn't you?

It's a myopic view to be sure, but it does seem that in general during the McCarthy era clock management has been, at least at times, less-than-stellar. Having no time-outs left with the bulk of the fourth quarter remaining not only limits your ability to control the clock, but leaves you with no challenges. Such was the case Monday night, when the Chiefs were awarded a first down on a bad spot by the referees. Having a challenge there would have effectively ended Kansas City's comeback efforts. It didn't end up hurting Green Bay this time, but sooner or later that will bite us in the butt.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is the kind of thing that’s easy to criticize in hindsight. Five yards can certainly be the difference between getting a first down or not, even for the best offense in the NFL (the Packers are currently 4th in scoring offense). If a TO is called that saves a TD drive, it’s obviously worth it, particularly in a playoff game in which they have a 3-point lead – but of course there’s no way to know what would have happened absent the TO. IMO the focus of this discussion should be getting the play calls into Rodgers more quickly. Since Clements is now the play caller, there’s really no excuse not to: He doesn’t have any of the other HC concerns McCarthy had when he called the plays. Clements, Rodgers and the offense are skilled at the hurry-up offense so they can obviously get the calls in more quickly. And IMO Rodgers knows the offense as well as Clements or McCarthy at this point. Get the plays in on time and trust him to adapt to the defense and the situation at the LOS.

I agree that the Packers should be able to avoid having to call a timeout by getting the play call in faster.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta say that even though timeouts in the first half may not seem as important as those in the 2nd half; they should still be treated with the respect due an important part of the game. You only have 3 and your thinking should take that into consideration. imho

Members online

Latest posts