Time For The Packers To Invest In Bulaga's Replacement

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I agree that I am ready to roll with Spriggs moving forward. I would imagine he is working on bulking up this offseason. I would not rule out a possible Bulaga trade. There are some teams in desperate need of a tackle that would not mind spending the money. Look at what 29 year old Nate Solder got from the Giants. Of course he is a LT which is a massive difference but your looking at 22 million, 13 million, 13 million and 14 million, and PFF ranks him at #32 tackle in the league. Most up to date information I could find on Bulaga was from August 2017 and PFF ranked him at #14 tackle in the league. When on the field Bulaga is productive. But at age 29 and 6 million this and next year, many teams would see that as a steal and might even give us something good for him.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is the best player in the league. Any offense which features him and a capable supporting cast will have similar success. But that 3rd ranked offense is completely unrecognizable when he is gone. I want to say we averaged around 16 PPG when he was out, which is near the bottom of the league.

Yes, Hundley sucks. As did the last backups, as will the next. This offense can't operate with backups, it requires Aaron Rodgers. I understand the importance of a QB on any team, but we shouldn't fall from 3rd to 30th. You'd think of McCarthy was an offensive guru as people around here claim, that would have translated somewhat during the time that Rodgers was out. But we looked like any of the other mediocre, cookie-cutter offenses in the league. Plenty of other teams have lost starting QBs without such a dramatic decline.

Exactly. Rodgers makes the this offense go...not McCarthys play calling. I’ve watched the Packers for years, and I’ve watched Rodgers since he took over. Rodgers makes so many plays adlibbing you’d think they didn’t even call plays. This team couldn’t do squat when he got hurt, and the offense was as bad as I’ve ever seen it. McCarthy gets way too much credit.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Rodgers gets credit for audibles but Mcacarthy is blamed for the lack of run game.

Hmmm...who can figure out the problem here?!

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm already passted the Bulaga era in Madden... yikes. finding a replacement hasn't been easy in 2 seasons though :/

I hope that's just Madden though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers is the best player in the league. Any offense which features him and a capable supporting cast will have similar success. But that 3rd ranked offense is completely unrecognizable when he is gone. I want to say we averaged around 16 PPG when he was out, which is near the bottom of the league.

Yes, Hundley sucks. As did the last backups, as will the next. This offense can't operate with backups, it requires Aaron Rodgers. I understand the importance of a QB on any team, but we shouldn't fall from 3rd to 30th. You'd think of McCarthy was an offensive guru as people around here claim, that would have translated somewhat during the time that Rodgers was out. But we looked like any of the other mediocre, cookie-cutter offenses in the league. Plenty of other teams have lost starting QBs without such a dramatic decline.

The Packers averaged 24.9 points in nine games with a backup quarterback starting before this season. That number would have ranked a respectable ninth in the league last season. There's no doubt the offense struggled in 2017 but it seems that Hundley not being ready to perform at a decent level was the main reason for it.

I would not rule out a possible Bulaga trade. There are some teams in desperate need of a tackle that would not mind spending the money. When on the field Bulaga is productive. But at age 29 and 6 million this and next year, many teams would see that as a steal and might even give us something good for him.

I highly doubt any team would trade for a 29-year old, injury-prone right tackle coming off a torn ACL possibly not ready for the start of the season.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Bryan Bulaga, hate to say it but I think your time in Green Bay is about done with. You'll be in the OL hall of fame along with Ken Rutgers, Frank Winters, Aaron Taylor, Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher and everyone else whose had our 2 HOF QB's blindsides.
Let's be clear, the Packers have three quarterbacks in the HOF: Herber, Starr, and Favre. I assume that you meant that Rodgers will be the fourth. As for tackles, you left off Cal Hubbard and Forrest Gregg. They were monsters of the game, Hubbard protecting Herber and Gregg protecting Starr.

Only question is, do we get this guy via draft and hope he plays an all-pro his rookie year? Or do we look via the FA wire and see if he's out there?
I didn't like TT re-signing Bulaga in 2015. He's an outstanding tackle but unfortunately also has an extensive injury history. His hip injury ended his 2012 season way too soon, he missed the entire 2013 season with a torn ACL, and then he stayed relatively healthy for one year in 2014 save for his Week 1 ankle injury that lingered all season. We gave him a massive contract with a big guarantee and big signing bonus in 2015. Later that season he suffered another ankle injury that cost him time, he had his healthiest season in 2016 merely suffering a mid-season back injury, and then came out of the gates in 2017 with an ankle injury before finally blowing out his ACL again last November. He usually has a bad ankle, foot, or back slowing him down and STILL is effective, but only when on the field.

McCarthy always talks about being accountable and available. I'd love to keep Bulaga around for the veteran's minimum as the backup, so that his body is available when needed. This may happen at the end of camp if they cut him due to injury and then bring him back the next day. However, I think that Murphy and Spriggs will get their shot to grab the starting position and Gutekunst will do the usual and draft a tackle in the 3rd to 5th round.

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy always talks about being accountable and available. I'd love to keep Bulaga around for the veteran's minimum as the backup, so that his body is available when needed. This may happen at the end of camp if they cut him due to injury and then bring him back the next day.

There's no way Bulaga agrees to deal close to the veteran's minimum.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers averaged 24.9 points in nine games with a backup quarterback starting before this season. That number would have ranked a respectable ninth in the league last season. There's no doubt the offense struggled in 2017 but it seems that Hundley not being ready to perform at a decent level was the main reason for it.

I highly doubt any team would trade for a 29-year old, injury-prone right tackle coming off a torn ACL possibly not ready for the start of the season.
You are talking ancient history. McCarthy was arguably a decent OC in 2013, but offenses have evolved, defenses have adapted to our scheme, which has been very evident over the past few years. John Fox coached a team which scored nearly 40 points per game in 2013, and he's out of the league because the game has passed him by, which IMO applies to McCarthy as well.

Offenses score fewer points now than 2013, btw. It's not a huge difference, but it's apparent when judging team stats over the years that it is tougher to score now. Which is why we were so dreadful at it last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

You are talking ancient history. McCarthy was arguably a decent OC in 2013, but offenses have evolved, defenses have adapted to our scheme, which has been very evident over the past few years. John Fox coached a team which scored nearly 40 points per game in 2013, and he's out of the league because the game has passed him by, which IMO applies to McCarthy as well.

Offenses score fewer points now than 2013, btw. It's not a huge difference, but it's apparent when judging team stats over the years that it is tougher to score now. Which is why we were so dreadful at it last year.

The Packers scored 26.8 points (would have ranked fifth in the league) in the six games Rodgers started and finished last season and finished fourth in points scored in 2016. It seems that McCarthy is still a successful play caller.

You realize the reason Fox is out of the league is because the Bears weren't able to provide him with an adequate starting quarterback while he had Peyton Manning starting in Denver.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers scored 26.8 points (would have ranked fifth in the league) in the six games Rodgers started and finished last season and finished fourth in points scored in 2016. It seems that McCarthy is still a successful play caller.

You realize the reason Fox is out of the league is because the Bears weren't able to provide him with an adequate starting quarterback while he had Peyton Manning starting in Denver.
Jeff Fisher didn't have adequate QBs in Jared Goff or Nick Foles, either. Turns out the team just didn't have a coach. Fox was given excuses for years, when in reality he was just stubborn like McCarthy and made terrible personnel decisions for his staff. I expect to see a different QB and team next year in Chicago.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jeff Fisher didn't have adequate QBs in Jared Goff or Nick Foles, either. Turns out the team just didn't have a coach. Fox was given excuses for years, when in reality he was just stubborn like McCarthy and made terrible personnel decisions for his staff. I expect to see a different QB and team next year in Chicago.

Fisher and Fox are both defensive minded coaches who didn't coordinate their offenses though. It's definitely possible the Bears and Trubisky will be improved this season.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fisher and Fox are both defensive minded coaches who didn't coordinate their offenses though. It's definitely possible the Bears and Trubisky will be improved this season.
It's not that they didn't coordinate them, they just completely ignored them and had no idea what they required to be successful.

Pretty significant difference between those guys and Zimmer, who just hired a coveted QB coach from he SB team to run his offense. Meanwhile, McCarthy hires his buddies who nobody else wants, and is very unlikely to have anyone on his staff capable of being promoted to a coordinator position.

D

Deleted member 6794

Meanwhile, McCarthy hires his buddies who nobody else wants, and is very unlikely to have anyone on his staff capable of being promoted to a coordinator position.

Philbin and McAdoo were hired as head coaches out of Green Bay. But technically you're right, they weren't promoted to coordinators.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philbin and McAdoo were hired as head coaches out of Green Bay. But technically you're right, they weren't promoted to coordinators.
I think the league has learned a little something about those guys and Rodgers since then. The belief was that they helped him become what he was, when the exact opposite was true.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the league has learned a little something about those guys and Rodgers since then. The belief was that they helped him become what he was, when the exact opposite was true.

It's ridiculous to suggest the Packers coaching staff doesn't deserve credit for Rodgers' development since getting drafted.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no way Bulaga agrees to deal close to the veteran's minimum.

Then bye. If Jordy Nelson can be cut for not taking a massive pay cut? then Bulaga can definitely be cut for the same exact reason. This team is accustomed to having several linemen missing at one time. Bulaga is usually always one of them.

D

Deleted member 6794

Then bye. If Jordy Nelson can be cut for not taking a massive pay cut? then Bulaga can definitely be cut for the same exact reason. This team is accustomed to having several linemen missing at one time. Bulaga is usually always one of them.

Once again, I wouldn't mind the Packers parting ways with Bulaga if there's an adequate replacement on the roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

We could also say the coaching staff is horrific based on Hundley's performance.

The coaching staff definitely made a mistake in evaluating Hundley. I'm not convinced any other coach could develop him into an adequate NFL quarterback though.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can find guys mid rounds to replace Bulaga if the kids they drafted in 2016 aren't working. Now if somehow McGlinchey is at #14, I gotta take him.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can find guys mid rounds to replace Bulaga if the kids they drafted in 2016 aren't working. Now if somehow McGlinchey is at #14, I gotta take him.

Generally I would say if there is anything I trust from our scouting department it is olinemen between round 4-6. But the only guy left in that department is now our GM. Still I think there are plenty of prospects in the mid rounds that match more with our oline specs. Guys that have moved around multiple positions in college and still did rather well.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not that they didn't coordinate them, they just completely ignored them and had no idea what they required to be successful.

Pretty significant difference between those guys and Zimmer, who just hired a coveted QB coach from he SB team to run his offense. Meanwhile, McCarthy hires his buddies who nobody else wants, and is very unlikely to have anyone on his staff capable of being promoted to a coordinator position.

I believe you mean head coach position, because he's had people on his staff perfectly capable of being coordinators. McAdoo certainly was fine as a coordinator, though not so good as a head coach, and Philbin certainly was here when our 2011 offense went off.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could also say the coaching staff is horrific based on Hundley's performance.

I'm getting tired of people not acknowledging that Hundley is just a dud and is incapable of success period in the NFL. I don't think Alex Van Pelt, our now ex-QB coach was anything special, though other than Hundley we didn't really get to see him break any rookies in. But Hundley is just trash and put him on any other team in any other circumstance and I guarantee the results will be exactly the same.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This. Seems some people are so stupid they fell asleep when Flynn got his shot at the controls. I just have to keep on saying it that Flynn is Joe Montana compared to Hundley.

Members online

Latest posts