Time For The Packers To Invest In Bulaga's Replacement

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Bryan Bulaga, hate to say it but I think your time in Green Bay is about done with. You'll be in the OL hall of fame along with Ken Rutgers, Frank Winters, Aaron Taylor, Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher and everyone else whose had our 2 HOF QB's blindsides. But I think at this point with Rodgers about to cross the big 35 and with last year still fresh in everyone's mind, it's time to stabilize the OL again and make sure we're not constantly rotating through bodies there.

Bringing back Tramon Williams and having him go opposite Kevin King is one start to getting a position of need, and if someone can step up in Jordy's absence and Jimmy Graham returns to his glory days in New Orleans form, we got a chance to really get something going here. But I think now we gotta start looking at a new RT and if we can get a big hog whose just as effective in the run as he is in protecting Rodgers, I say we've completed the missing link to ensure we go all the way.

Only question is, do we get this guy via draft and hope he plays an all-pro his rookie year? Or do we look via the FA wire and see if he's out there?

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a lot left on the market for tackles and the Packers don't seem very interested by any accounts to getting in on any of them either. It is pretty much Fleming or maybe Howard at this point if you are looking for an upgrade from Bulaga. Otherwise you are probably downgrading using FA.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully, Spriggs gets his **** together. But yes, I agree.

We especially need a RT for the beginning of the season. I don't think Bulaga will be ready to go.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm willing to roll with spriggs. If we really needed an OT this would have been the year. We will likely have our pick of any of them. McGilchey (?) Would do well in our system.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm willing to roll with spriggs. If we really needed an OT this would have been the year. We will likely have our pick of any of them. McGilchey (?) Would do well in our system.
Spriggs is a turnstile. A guy with that sort of athleticism constantly being beat with inside moves is a sign of laziness. You can pick any T off the scrap heap in FA and it wouldn't be a worse option

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs is a turnstile. A guy with that sort of athleticism constantly being beat with inside moves is a sign of laziness. You can pick any T off the scrap heap in FA and it wouldn't be a worse option
Not sure what to tell you. That is not what I saw at all. He didn't make every block, but I was surprised how well he did. He I'll improved tremendously from his rookie year. No reason to think he didn't improve more this upcoming season.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe they are ready to roll with Spriggs, Murphy, Mccray at RT. Don't be surprised though if an OT is picked day 3 by the end of round 5. The OL scheme is designed #1 for pass blocking. Run blocking is an after thought. That style also uses low round picks developed in house for a season or three. Leaves the premium draft slots available for the skill players. I would be almost shocked at a day 1 or 2 OL pick. Spriggs and Sherrod may have burned themselves into Gute's psyche while Bakh and Linsley showed the way.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe they are ready to roll with Spriggs, Murphy, Mccray at RT. Don't be surprised though if an OT is picked day 3 by the end of round 5. The OL scheme is designed #1 for pass blocking. Run blocking is an after thought. That style also uses low round picks developed in house for a season or three. Leaves the premium draft slots available for the skill players. I would be almost shocked at a day 1 or 2 OL pick. Spriggs and Sherrod may have burned themselves into Gute's psyche while Bakh and Linsley showed the way.
I think it is some sort of conspiracy that linemen can only be good at run blocking or pass blocking. Having a great pass blocking unit is a good problem to have- run a zone scheme to put their athleticism to use. Problem solved. If you have a unit that has the ability to dominate in a straight forward running game, I doubt the team loses sleep at night, as they will create more fear in opponents than they will in their own QB.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would grade him as a little better than Barclay, but not by a whole lot. Certainly though we'd better keep an eye on him in training camp because with how our current backup QB situation is looming we definitely can't afford another hit to Rodgers's blindside.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would grade him as a little better than Barclay, but not by a whole lot. Certainly though we'd better keep an eye on him in training camp because with how our current backup QB situation is looming we definitely can't afford another hit to Rodgers's blindside.
Lol that’s not saying much at all. He’s terrible just terrible. Barclay terrible

D

Deleted member 6794

Only question is, do we get this guy via draft and hope he plays an all-pro his rookie year? Or do we look via the FA wire and see if he's out there?

I wouldn't mind drafting a possibly replacement for Bulaga in the middle rounds. There isn't a whole lot left in free agency to acquire a possible starting tackle.

I'm willing to roll with spriggs.

While Spriggs improved over his dreadful rookie season he performed at an average level at best. I would be extremely nervous about him being pencilled in as the starting right tackle entering the season.

Reaction score
I am a proponent of insuring #12 and supplementing our running game.
I have us using 2 OL picks for competition plus a TE.
There’s never too much depth at OL.
I’d estimate at earliest #101 unless we see a 2nd rounder slip deep into the 3rd round and redirect and lock a potential starter.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga can NEVER be counted on to be available. I’m the type of person that will cut ties with players who can’t be counted on to be available. Year after year after year this guy always misses a handful of games because he’s hurt. Packers have faired well in the draft with linemen who were late rd picks. Imo it’s not necessary for Bulaga to be retained.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, with the Packers the defensive line is the only position group with quality depth.

Unfortunately so. Actually, though, I was referring to "you can't have too many____" comments that come up when discussing the majority of positions on the team. Sort of like the "at vet minimum, et. al. comments every time a new player hits the pavement.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not even close to giving up on Spriggs, tbh. He's got all the tools. Some guys take a few years to put it together. We should probably have learned this lesson by now.

H

HardRightEdge

Spriggs stunk. Then McCarthy called him out on his work ethic. Then he improved noticably in the last 6 games.

Unless there's a rare find in the mid-rounds good-to-go week 1 as a rookie, as Bahktirari turned out to be, they'll roll with Spriggs.

RG is a question mark with McCray penciled in.

They can probably work through some growing pains with one or the other, but both struggling would obviosly be a concern.

Murphy should be moved to guard to compete or backup.

Last edited by a moderator:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga isn't being cut barring a big setback in his rehab, or they would have done it by now.

It's only a 4.7M cap savings this year to cut him. Given what you can expect from a healthy Bulaga as far as performance, 4.7M isn't worth cutting him if he'll play. MM said a few weeks ago his rehab is coming along well and the fact that he's still here is a good indicator that they're satisfied with his recovery.

I would guess he spends part of training camp on PUP, but Week 1 is a possibility. More likely I'd guess he misses the first month or so of the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bulaga can NEVER be counted on to be available. I’m the type of person that will cut ties with players who can’t be counted on to be available. Year after year after year this guy always misses a handful of games because he’s hurt. Packers have faired well in the draft with linemen who were late rd picks. Imo it’s not necessary for Bulaga to be retained.

I wouldn't mind Bulaga being released as he's injured way too often. The Packers first have to find an adequate replacement for him though.

Not even close to giving up on Spriggs, tbh. He's got all the tools. Some guys take a few years to put it together. We should probably have learned this lesson by now.

There's no reason to give up on Spriggs at the moment. It wouldn't be smart to rely on him developing into a decent starter either though.

Bulaga isn't being cut barring a big setback in his rehab, or they would have done it by now.

It's only a 4.7M cap savings this year to cut him. Given what you can expect from a healthy Bulaga as far as performance, 4.7M isn't worth cutting him if he'll play. MM said a few weeks ago his rehab is coming along well and the fact that he's still here is a good indicator that they're satisfied with his recovery.

I would guess he spends part of training camp on PUP, but Week 1 is a possibility. More likely I'd guess he misses the first month or so of the season.

It's possible the Packers wait until after the end of training camp to make a decision on Bulaga. I guess that if the coaching staff feels comfortable about another player starting at right tackle there's a chance the team will cut ties with him at that point.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It may surpirse you to learn that Packer running backs were 5th. in rush yards before contact last season according to PFF. They were 1st. running to the right side.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...-best-offensive-lines-in-yards-before-contact
It has always seemed like this offense has potential to run, but there have been problems with personnel and coaching. Fat, slow Lacy is basically the only somewhat NFL caliber RB we've had, and he performed well despite seeping through holes like molasses.

And with Rodgers at QB, it's beyond odd that RBs have never been given a prominent role in the pass game. For goodness sake, we literally had a WR at RB, we put Cobb back there on occasion, and the best he could do was run draw plays up the middle.

The run game looked very effective at times last year, but McCarthy seemed content allowing Hundley to throw ill-advised passes to the defense. Hopefully Philbin can get the most out of this offense, as there seems to be potential , but McCarthy is completely lost as a play caller.

D

Deleted member 6794

The run game looked very effective at times last year, but McCarthy seemed content allowing Hundley to throw ill-advised passes to the defense. Hopefully Philbin can get the most out of this offense, as there seems to be potential , but McCarthy is completely lost as a play caller.

It's beyond my understanding why there are that many Packers fans denying McCarthy the ability to call a productive offense as the team ranks third in points scoring during his tenure. I agree that he didn't do a good job with Hundley starting last year though.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's beyond my understanding why there are that many Packers fans denying McCarthy the ability to call a productive offense as the team ranks third in points scoring during his tenure. I agree that he didn't do a good job with Hundley starting last year though.
Rodgers is the best player in the league. Any offense which features him and a capable supporting cast will have similar success. But that 3rd ranked offense is completely unrecognizable when he is gone. I want to say we averaged around 16 PPG when he was out, which is near the bottom of the league.

Yes, Hundley sucks. As did the last backups, as will the next. This offense can't operate with backups, it requires Aaron Rodgers. I understand the importance of a QB on any team, but we shouldn't fall from 3rd to 30th. You'd think of McCarthy was an offensive guru as people around here claim, that would have translated somewhat during the time that Rodgers was out. But we looked like any of the other mediocre, cookie-cutter offenses in the league. Plenty of other teams have lost starting QBs without such a dramatic decline.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts