Time For The Packers To Invest In Bulaga's Replacement

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's ridiculous to suggest the Packers coaching staff doesn't deserve credit for Rodgers' development since getting drafted.

I actually think a lot of Rodgers development had to do with watching Brett Favre, good and bad. As well as just Rodgers will. The first thing he told favre was that he was gonna be better than him. And then he went out and did it. Yeah McCarthy and company deserve some credit but I'd say they are 3rd in line behind Rodgers will to prove others wrong and himself right and watching a future hall of famer

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This. Seems some people are so stupid they fell asleep when Flynn got his shot at the controls. I just have to keep on saying it that Flynn is Joe Montana compared to Hundley.
Yes, the offense looked fine against some of the worst teams and defenses in the league with a backup who had a strong supporting cast and a scheme which had yet to be exposed.

Now it is average to slightly above average at best, and everyone knows the plan- predictable iso routes with slower receivers. Rodgers just went on a crazy tear last year and after he settled in at the beginning of this year, and I just don't believe any other QB in the league could have consistently put the ball into tight spots and completed throws and finished plays with such a high level of difficulty.

Hundley is not nearly as bad as anyone claims. Dealing with pressure and anticipation are his biggest flaws, which can be hidden somewhat in a good offensive system. Jared Goff was pretty horrific at both of those, still horrific with his pocket presence, but they get enough of the good out of him that it doesn't matter. This is a 6 win team with an average QB, which we should expect out of a backup. Let's not act like Hundley killed the Golden Goose after taking over.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the offense looked fine against some of the worst teams and defenses in the league with a backup who had a strong supporting cast and a scheme which had yet to be exposed.

Now it is average to slightly above average at best, and everyone knows the plan- predictable iso routes with slower receivers. Rodgers just went on a crazy tear last year and after he settled in at the beginning of this year, and I just don't believe any other QB in the league could have consistently put the ball into tight spots and completed throws and finished plays with such a high level of difficulty.

Hundley is not nearly as bad as anyone claims. Dealing with pressure and anticipation are his biggest flaws, which can be hidden somewhat in a good offensive system. Jared Goff was pretty horrific at both of those, still horrific with his pocket presence, but they get enough of the good out of him that it doesn't matter. This is a 6 win team with an average QB, which we should expect out of a backup. Let's not act like Hundley killed the Golden Goose after taking over.

I forget which game it was but the Packers were losing and it was a must win game in order to give Rodgers a chance upon his return, I believe the browns. It was 4th and goal in the 4th quarter and hundley straight up forgot what the play call was after the ball was snapped so he just stood there and got sacked. It was mind boggling that a starting NFL qb even a backup could forget the play in such a key situation in both the game and the entire season. Had hundley remembered the play and pitched the ball to Aaron Jones he walks into the end zone. To me that play sums up hundley, he's just not that smart of a player, he didn't take his job as the backup seriously and he wasn't prepared to play. As the qb how can you possibly forget the play and if you do, you make something happen you don't just stand there looking confused for 2 seconds and then get sacked.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This here just proves my point about stupid

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think a lot of Rodgers development had to do with watching Brett Favre, good and bad. As well as just Rodgers will. The first thing he told favre was that he was gonna be better than him. And then he went out and did it. Yeah McCarthy and company deserve some credit but I'd say they are 3rd in line behind Rodgers will to prove others wrong and himself right and watching a future hall of famer

I do believe it played a role in Rodgers not becoming a gunslinging reckless QB like Favre, but it takes way more than watching a QB to get your technique down and get the nuances. Rodgers was pretty raw at this when he first got into the league and it definitely is part of the coaching staff's job to help a QB perfect and grasp the nuances of the game.

Having said that, it's only part coaching staff while the rest is on the QB himself. Some guys like Rodgers and Flynn come in raw but end up getting it as they get polished. Others like Tolzein and Hundley are so bad that it's a sht show every time they take the field.

D

Deleted member 6794

We can find guys mid rounds to replace Bulaga if the kids they drafted in 2016 aren't working. Now if somehow McGlinchey is at #14, I gotta take him.

The Packers shouldn't select a tackle at #14 as they have more pressing needs on the roster.

This is a 6 win team with an average QB, which we should expect out of a backup. Let's not act like Hundley killed the Golden Goose after taking over.

The Packers faced some above average defenses with Flynn putting up decent numbers as well. Don't fool yourself but the talent level on the roster isn't good enough to win six games with an average quarterback.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do believe it played a role in Rodgers not becoming a gunslinging reckless QB like Favre, but it takes way more than watching a QB to get your technique down and get the nuances. Rodgers was pretty raw at this when he first got into the league and it definitely is part of the coaching staff's job to help a QB perfect and grasp the nuances of the game.

Having said that, it's only part coaching staff while the rest is on the QB himself. Some guys like Rodgers and Flynn come in raw but end up getting it as they get polished. Others like Tolzein and Hundley are so bad that it's a sht show every time they take the field.

I agree I think it actually led to Rodgers being too cautious with the ball at times especially early in his days as a starter. You can't compare hundley and tolziens development to Rodgers because neither is anywhere close to as talented as Rodgers. There's a reason Rodgers went in the first and those guys were latter round picks. Also I would argue just like favre, Rodgers does not play with the best technique because like favre he has the arm talent not to, often throwing off his back foot etc. McCarthy is a good coach but he's certainly been aided greatly by the luxury of having 2 hall of fame qbs. Do I think Rodgers has success without McCarthy, absolutely. Do I think McCarthy has success without Rodgers and favre absolutely not

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy is a good coach but he's certainly been aided greatly by the luxury of having 2 hall of fame qbs.

McCarthy definitely had the luxury of taking over a team featuring a HOF quarterback in Favre. He deserves credit for developing Rodgers into a QB headed to Canton though.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy definitely had the luxury of taking over a team featuring a HOF quarterback in Favre. He deserves credit for developing Rodgers into a QB headed to Canton though.

Yeah I said he deserves credit, just 3rd place behind 1. Rodgers will, which isn't debatable and 2. Learning by watching and being around a first ballot hall of famer. Which is debatable but I believe that knowledge to be priceless in terms of value to Rodgers development. Favre was the Michael Jordan of the NFL now Rodgers is and I don't think it's a coincidence.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah I said he deserves credit, just 3rd place behind 1. Rodgers will, which isn't debatable and 2. Learning by watching and being around a first ballot hall of famer. Which is debatable but I believe that knowledge to be priceless in terms of value to Rodgers development. Favre was the Michael Jordan of the NFL now Rodgers is and I don't think it's a coincidence.

I'm just guessing here but believe that a lot of fans overvalue Rodgers watching Favre for three years as a major part of his development.

As a side note neither Favre nor Rodgers should be compared to Jordan as the Packers quarterbacks have combined to win only two championships in 26 years while Jordan won six rings in 15 seasons.

Members online

Latest posts