Thoughts on the three guys not signing?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you guys THINK will happen with Tramon before midnight tonight?
What do you think will happen to Tramon here long term?

What do you want us to do with Tramon tonight before this deadline?
I think the Packers follow the CBA and reduce their offers, which is legal.
And while still negotiating with Tramon's agent, they tout Pat Lee up as a capable starter right now, and they hype of Underwood. The problem with Underwood is he might get charged with soliciting a hooker. Where the hell is Antonio Cromartie when you need him?

Read this tidbit here from ESPN first.

Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com reports there has been some confusion this week about the state of the Green Bay Packers' class of restricted free agents. The NFL reported that none of the three remaining RFAs -- defensive end Johnny Jolly, cornerback Tramon Williams and safety Atari Bigby -- had signed their tenders by Monday afternoon.
But between then and late Monday night, according to Greg A. Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Jolly signed his $2.521 million tender. Bedard reports that neither Williams nor Bigby signed before the deadline, leaving both subject to reductions in their contract figures. For Bigby, the amount is minimal: About four percent of what he would have received had he signed the tender. Williams, however, could see his salary go from $3.168 million to about $585,000 if the Packers choose to exercise the reduction some time before 11:59 p.m. Tuesday. NFL rules make this reduction the team's option.
If that happens, Williams could be headed for a long holdout. He's projected as a starter while Al Harris recovers from a serious knee injury, so a protracted absence would be significant. We'll keep you updated.
First off, we're talking about a guy with potential in here.
For the rest of the league, Williams is best known as Captain Armbar.

So though we THINK that he'll be the future starter, he hasn't played like one yet.

I think the Packers will reduce the tender, and they'd be right in doing so. They've already proven that they pay the guys that play by the rules, so playing hardball isn't going to do him any good.

Like I said, him being out, with Harris also out, will hurt the Packers. But him being a FA or holding out doesn't benefit him AT ALL.

So I think he'll skip some mandatory work, but will sign a long term deal before the first preseason game.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tell you what, if Tramon does end up holding out all this time & nothing is offered to him (i think 3 mil+ for the tender is pretty damn good), I'm really hoping that TT and company grow the heck up, and sign or trade for a serviceable corner...why should their be a delusion of these inexperienced guys (pat lee, underwood) that they are capable of playing & producing...I'm afraid our season could take a big hit right here. wtf?!?!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tell you what, if Tramon does end up holding out all this time & nothing is offered to him (i think 3 mil+ for the tender is pretty damn good), I'm really hoping that TT and company grow the heck up, and sign or trade for a serviceable corner...why should their be a delusion of these inexperienced guys (pat lee, underwood) that they are capable of playing & producing...I'm afraid our season could take a big hit right here. wtf?!?!
And your concerns are totally warranted.
I know some fans think "Whatever Ted says, does, it will all work out", and that's NOT the actual case.
We already saw a possible Super Bowl season end last year because the back end sucked once one of our experienced CB's was out, and even WHEN HE WAS THERE... Harris was there in both torchings by Farve, so I don't even give him the injury excuse. Plus the Colts and Saints lost more starting games due to injury in the DB than we did.
2007 DPOY Bob Sanders played 2 games for the Colts all season long. Imagine us missing 2009 DPOY Woodson for all but 2 games.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Greg A. Bedard this morning:
So the Packers could be heading down the road for contract drama with cornerback Tramon Williams.
I say ‘could’ because we don’t know anything definitive yet.

We do know Williams did not sign his tender by 4 p.m. on Tuesday. We know the Packers told Williams and Atari Bigby they would have their tenders replaced with 110% of their 2009 salary if the players did not sign their original tenders.

Maybe Williams signed late last night. Maybe the Packers decided not to use the 110% rule after all. Maybe they decided to give him a contract extension. Maybe I’ll be thin someday.
But all signs were pointing toward Williams not signing his tender, and the Packers cutting his potential 2010 salary by over $2 million.

So the popular question I’ve been getting is, “Does Williams deserve beyond his one-year, $3.168-million tender?”
No.
And yes.

As a matter of personal opinion, I believe a player is entitled to get whatever he can because the NFL is a harsh business. I believe special players that clearly are better than their rookie contracts should have their contracts redone as soon as possible.

I also believe the NFL should live up to their original contracts. That means for players that were set to become unrestricted free agents this year, I think it’s categorically unfair that, because the owners opted out of the CBA early, players are the ones that suffer.

You can say all you want about they should have known or their agents should have known, but come on. How was a college kid or even their agent supposed to anticipate in 2006 that two years later, without much conversation ahead of time, the owners were going to suddenly change the rules?

So guys in their fourth or even fifth year, I feel for them and think what the owners have done is just wrong.
But here’s the thing: none of that applies to Williams.

He’s only played three years. And while a good player, he’s not special yet. And his tender is more than fair for a player with only 20 starts under his belt.

So in that sense, no, I don’t think Williams deserves a contract extension, all things being equal.
But they aren’t. And the Packers have only themselves to blame for that.

The Packers set themselves up for this on Aug. 5, 2008 when at the height of the Brett Favre drama and with Russ Ball handling his first major contract as the Packers’ contract man after Andrew Brandt departed, the Packers caved in and gave running back Ryan Grant a four-year contract that was worth $20 million at the time.

Now it’s worth much more.
It wasn’t hard to see how that decision was going to come home to roost for the Packers at some point. Some of us have talked about it a time or two.

Up until that point, the Packers had been decidedly disciplined in how and when and to whom they gave contract extensions to. It was a big reason why they got in good cap shape in such a hurry after Mike Sherman.

The players that got new deals had put in their time, signed their tenders and just played along with the program.
But the decision by Ball and Ted Thompson to do that deal then with Grant eroded much of what the Packers had done previously.

You can point out how the Packers had to do that deal at that time. And you can also say looking at it now, it was a good deal for the Packers and continues to be.
Both may be true.
But they don’t mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Certainly not to other players and agents.

Some of you don’t like it when I say that every contract has ramifications inside the Packers’ locker room. That if so and so gets this, then this guy is going to want this.

Tough. It’s the truth. Happens in every single locker room in every sport.
And you certainly aren’t going to hear any player talking about the ramifications of a teammate’s contract. That’s a big locker room no-no. Doesn’t mean there’s not a lot of complaining going on behind closed doors. There is.

So when the Packers gave Grant that deal, after his first accrued season in the NFL, his first with the Packers, after 15 games played and seven regular-season starts, they set the stage for guys like Williams to want theirs.
He and they have a point.

How can the Packers give Grant his deal, yet refuse to give the same kind of deal to Williams after he did everything they asked of him for three seasons and he started more than twice as many games as Grant (20 - 10 last season)?

Can the Packers tell Williams that Grant was more valuable when he got his contract? I don’t think so.
Throw in the situation at cornerback and that it’s an uncapped year, and it’s hard not to see that Williams has a fairly compelling case to want his contract extension now.
So at face value, does Williams deserve a new deal? No. But context does he? Probably, yeah.

And the Packers made this bed and now it appears they’ll have to lay in it.
About the only way for the Packers to have avoided this, besides telling Grant to kick rocks, was to make him a take-it-or-leave-it one-year offer of about $3 million with the promise to do something down the road if he continues to perform. That’s essentially what they’ve done with Williams.
Maybe the Packers are trying to get back on contract message with the Williams negotiations and they’ll make a stand on this.
Will it work out? No one knows.

Is this the right time and position to do it after what happened last year in the secondary and with the team on the brink of being a Super Bowl contender?

That might be the key question.
And that, also, is in the Packers’ hands.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
This morning (Wed)There was report over WDUZ radio "The Fan" here in Green Bay by Milw JS sports reporter Gregg Bedart that a source has told him that Tramon Williams had indeed signed his contract tender and it was faxed to the Packers on Monday night. Milw Js sports reporter does not know why the Packers had not release this information concerning this signing. The JS reporter is confident of his sourc efor this information.

There may some information on this possible signing at Packer head Coach Mike McCarthy news conference this afternoon (Wed) or in NFL press release at 4:00 pm this afternoon, when the NFL usually releases this type of information.

Members online

Latest posts