Thoughts on the three guys not signing?

dtracy7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you think about the three palyers not signing yet! I am really only worried about TW. I think we have enough depth at the other spots.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I understand that Jolly has legal troubles and his court date is scheduled on the first day of training camp. So I'm not surprised at all that he didn't sign considering that he'd like to get his court duties over with before returning to the team. I am on the other hand concerned about T. Will and Bigby. We have Burnett there to compensate Bigby's absence but he is such an uncertainty that I'd rather have Bigby there to start off the season, better to be safe than sorry. T. Will is a given, he's the only starting caliber CB we have outside of Woodson.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I understand that Jolly has legal troubles and his court date is scheduled on the first day of training camp. So I'm not surprised at all that he didn't sign considering that he'd like to get his court duties over with before returning to the team. I am on the other hand concerned about T. Will and Bigby. We have Burnett there to compensate Bigby's absence but he is such an uncertainty that I'd rather have Bigby there to start off the season, better to be safe than sorry. T. Will is a given, he's the only starting caliber CB we have outside of Woodson.

Jolly to me is the most surprising as you would think he would need the money (not sure if any is paid up front) and will be left with few options if found guilty and then suspended.

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
Jolly to me is the most surprising as you would think he would need the money (not sure if any is paid up front) and will be left with few options if found guilty and then suspended.
While I agree with you I think -maybe- this may be a case of putting the team before oneself...Wishful thinking perhaps, but its a possibility...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For more drugs perhaps... yeah I went there. ;)

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could really care less about Jolly. And I say that knowing that he is actually one hell of a DE in both the 3-4 and 4-3. He is so athletic for his size that sometimes it's just stupid. However you would think that he would try and sign that tended before all these legal problems come to fruition. I mean he is already not on good standing with the team because of all of this, wouldn't you think that he would try and save some face a little and just sign?

As for Bigby and Williams. I agree that I think we need Bigby, and I say this because he could be a great mentor to Burnett and an amazing 2nd string safety net for Burnett if he does indeed start.

We need Williams more than everyone, because if Harris doesn't start the season we will be woefully thin at CB, and that is especially worrisome considering the first game against the Eagles. And yes I know Kevin Kolb isn't an elite quarterback, but his two games last year he threw for over 300 yards in each game.

Ghost of Billy Mays

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon is the only one with leverage, and I would think Ted is/has offered him a long term deal. Why he hasn't accepted is confusing, again, he does have leverage over the team. If the team has sent letters to Jolly and Tramon they stand to lose a lot of money. One rumor I read is Jolly is hoping to be released hoping for a big signing bonus with another team. Bigby will not lose much money, and he is the only one, that I have read, that has received a letter. IMO, he can sit if he does not want to sign, same with Jolly, Tramon needs to be signed though. I don't believe that the cart pulls the horse, just like with Javon Walker, and I loved that guy at the time.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFT reports on this exact issue: Packers wait for their RFAs to sign their tenders | ProFootballTalk.com

The salary reductions are pretty noticeable so I'm guessing once the guys get their head on straight, they might actually sign. Also, Bigby got a letter from the Packers that they might take away their tender offer. It's likely that the other guys got the same notice.

Its only about 50k difference for Bigby, which is alot to most people but in comparison to his salary is really chump change.

Its amazing how little business sense these guys really have. While not the same for all teams, the packers will take care of guys that want to work with the team. Pull a Javon Walker and throw a hissy fit? Gone. or a Mike McKenzie. or you could go about all this with class and trust in the team to treat you how you treat them. If anyone should have threw a fit it was Collins, but nope he was all class about it (he might not have shown up to a couple mini camps but im not 100 on that) and got rewarded big.

Jollys just showing himself the door. Either way we own the rights and I believe he is back in the same situation next season if he sits out.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jolly and Bigby WANT to escape Green Bay.
You have to admit, neither guy is a Green Bay kinda guy.
I wish we could trade them both for a good #3 CB.

And this from Bedard on Jolly:
He could very well be hoping the Packers, who probably won't be offering him a long-term contract at any point, release him so he can get his new deal with a signing bonus someplace else as soon as possible.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jolly and Bigby WANT to escape Green Bay.
You have to admit, neither guy is a Green Bay kinda guy.
I wish we could trade them both for a good #3 CB.

And this from Bedard on Jolly:
He could very well be hoping the Packers, who probably won't be offering him a long-term contract at any point, release him so he can get his new deal with a signing bonus someplace else as soon as possible.

Release him? Not likely. its easier just to sit on him and not pay him the whole season. But if he is convicted in court and has to go to prison then by all means drop him.

gbforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need to get Tramon signed to a long term deal. Woodson is getting older and Harris is a big question mark. Tramon is already a starting caliber CB and that's what we need with Harris and Woodson getting older. We have too litte depth at CB to let an obvious CB of the future walk. I would like to see Bigby sign because of the quality depth we would have at safety with Burnett, Collins, and Bigby especially since Capers likes to use three safeties in various situations, but i do think the Pack would be fine without Bigby. Jolly is only hurting himself by not signing the tender, seriously what does he expect with his legal troubles? Too much extra baggage to warrant a big deal at this time.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see why Jolly signed his, he really has no other options until his legal troubles are passed.

I really hope the Packers are trying to Williams signed to a long term contract. I think he can be a starter.

Bigby has nothing to loose by not signing his. Ok, just 50k. So its worth it for him to hold out.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An important part of Jolly signing his tender is that at any time the packers can release him with no financial hit to the team since its not guaranteed. Also he gets paid in only weekly installments.

I would expect him to try and play his *** off if he wants a serious contract from someone in spite of his legal problems.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its only about 50k difference for Bigby, which is alot to most people but in comparison to his salary is really chump change.

Its amazing how little business sense these guys really have. While not the same for all teams, the packers will take care of guys that want to work with the team. Pull a Javon Walker and throw a hissy fit? Gone. or a Mike McKenzie. or you could go about all this with class and trust in the team to treat you how you treat them. If anyone should have threw a fit it was Collins, but nope he was all class about it (he might not have shown up to a couple mini camps but im not 100 on that) and got rewarded big.

Jollys just showing himself the door. Either way we own the rights and I believe he is back in the same situation next season if he sits out.

Exactly my thoughts. Jolly is expendable now; Bigby is a nice to have - I think he will get beat out in the starting lineup, but is a nice third safety. Williams is the guy that is needed most, but he needs to sign and then work with Thompson on a longer term contract. If he performs, the money will come. That is the way Thompson operates.

We may not all like all of the decisions that Thompson makes, but he is consistent and players should know by now how to work with the system because of this consistency.

BTW .. apparently letters went to all 3 of these players that there tender offer would be reduced. If true, I hope that Thompson follows through and reduces their offer. This would send a clear message to others contemplating the same strategy.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that Thompson follows through and reduces their offer. This would send a clear message to others contemplating the same strategy.
I agree.
He's only following the CBA, which was agreed to by the NFLPA.
These players know their career is short so they are greedy by nature. But they also know their career is short and they really don't want to waste a full year holding out getting no money.

I can tell you this: any player who *** themself and misses a whole year unpaid- their agent will not be getting any new clients the next year.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. Williams needs a long term deal. Period. It doesn't make any sense to waste time holding out. Everyone knows that when you keep your head on straight and perform, you get rewarded. I'm sure that if Williams would play and act like he wanted to be here, and then played well, he would get a bunch of money thrown at him.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. Williams needs a long term deal. Period. It doesn't make any sense to waste time holding out. Everyone knows that when you keep your head on straight and perform, you get rewarded. I'm sure that if Williams would play and act like he wanted to be here, and then played well, he would get a bunch of money thrown at him.

Agreed. Williams never publicly spoke about any indifference or apathy he has with his current deal. He should've been rewarded like Collins for keeping his mouth closed and playing football. The past two seasons he accumulated 112 tackles, 1 sack, 9 INTs and 2 forced fumbles. And that's after starting only 20 out of 33 possible games. I think with Al Harris and Charles Woodson in the fold, Williams was just seen merely as a No. 3 CB in the eyes of the organization. However he should be paid more like a No. 2 guy.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i really like tramon, he's been fairly dependable and I concur that he should be paid more like a #2 guy, but this CBA is a crap situation

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you guys THINK will happen with Tramon before midnight tonight?
What do you think will happen to Tramon here long term?

What do you want us to do with Tramon tonight before this deadline?
I think the Packers follow the CBA and reduce their offers, which is legal.
And while still negotiating with Tramon's agent, they tout Pat Lee up as a capable starter right now, and they hype of Underwood. The problem with Underwood is he might get charged with soliciting a hooker. Where the hell is Antonio Cromartie when you need him?

Read this tidbit here from ESPN first.

Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com reports there has been some confusion this week about the state of the Green Bay Packers' class of restricted free agents. The NFL reported that none of the three remaining RFAs -- defensive end Johnny Jolly, cornerback Tramon Williams and safety Atari Bigby -- had signed their tenders by Monday afternoon.
But between then and late Monday night, according to Greg A. Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Jolly signed his $2.521 million tender. Bedard reports that neither Williams nor Bigby signed before the deadline, leaving both subject to reductions in their contract figures. For Bigby, the amount is minimal: About four percent of what he would have received had he signed the tender. Williams, however, could see his salary go from $3.168 million to about $585,000 if the Packers choose to exercise the reduction some time before 11:59 p.m. Tuesday. NFL rules make this reduction the team's option.
If that happens, Williams could be headed for a long holdout. He's projected as a starter while Al Harris recovers from a serious knee injury, so a protracted absence would be significant. We'll keep you updated.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He can sit out the first 10 games, then sign his contract, then be a FA next season. But he risk the organization getting pissed and just benching him and preventing him from having any exposure whatsoever

Members online

Latest posts