Thoughts on McCarthy?

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that you folks were mostly calling for MM's head back in October. Have you changed your minds since you made the SB, or does he still suck?

We've been the same way with our OC Bruce Arians. We still mainly don't like him, superbowl notwithstanding. :D

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that you folks were mostly calling for MM's head back in October. Have you changed your minds since you made the SB, or does he still suck?

Correction- The Favre fans still pissed that Brett was traded out of Green Bay wanted Mike McCarthy's head on a platter. Most of us actual Packers fans didn't panic, understand he has weaknesses like everyone else, but also understood he was facing an uphill battle due to all the people we lost for the year.

McCarthy definitely has some things to improve on as a head coach. His clock management seems a bit off, and his play calling can be questionable at times.

That said, he seems to get better every year, and this team really respects him and plays their hearts out for him. Win or lose this weekend, I see no reason at all why he should be fired, though I am certain some two bit ***-hats will call for his head again should we lose.

OP
OP
GoSlash27

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Incubes12,
Thanks for the link. I think we're about in the same place with BA right now.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it was a rough first 6 weeks for the Packers in the beginning of the season and I was pissed, things have gotten so much better, b/c we've had some continuity w/ the personnel (b/c the injury bug finally stopped) and it showed in the final 5 weeks

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correction- The Favre fans still pissed that Brett was traded out of Green Bay wanted Mike McCarthy's head on a platter. Most of us actual Packers fans didn't panic, understand he has weaknesses like everyone else, but also understood he was facing an uphill battle due to all the people we lost for the year.

McCarthy definitely has some things to improve on as a head coach. His clock management seems a bit off, and his play calling can be questionable at times.

That said, he seems to get better every year, and this team really respects him and plays their hearts out for him. Win or lose this weekend, I see no reason at all why he should be fired, though I am certain some two bit ***-hats will call for his head again should we lose.
Not a Favre fan.
Wanted MM's head on a platter.

There are very rare Favre fans in here, Chris, yet a lot of us wanted MM fired. What you're saying about bitter Favre fans simply isn't true. Don't put me up with those nutjobs.

Regarding McCarthy, nobody invented those errors of his. Those are well documented, if you look at the thread linked in here before, you'll see the same complaints over and over again.

What happen is, most of the people complaining about him, including me, didn't expect a change in his coaching come playoff time. And it's nothing that wasn't out there, 07 and 09 he performed very well, and the constant mistakes of his team didn't show up.

Fact of the matter is that McCarthy has his flaws, but he's a better coach than 90% out there.

And come playoff time, he's at his best. He gets creative, he makes adjustements when he has to (most of the time), he sticks with what's working, be it spread offense (ARI, ATL games), be it ground and pound (SEA, PHI games). The penalties that plagued us during most of MM's tenure have been corrected, in fact, we were one of the fewest penalized teams in the league, after pratically leading the league in penalties the years prior.

I'm not gonna call for MM's head ever again.
First of all, I trust TT's judgment almost blindly, as he has consistantly proven me and his doubters wrong (not that I've doubted him much, because I haven't, specially regarding Free Agency).
And his coaching tendency has been spotted by me. I know how's his demeanor during regular season, and how it is during important games and the playoffs.

So I won't "panic" if the Packers struggle again against a bad team due to coaching...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Incubes12,
Thanks for the link. I think we're about in the same place with BA right now.
I remember reading through some of your forums where some fans wanted his head because he was too much of a passing guy, whereas Steelers football has always been ground and pound.

Do you think you being a more balanced team now has anything to do with Arians being less attacked?
And do you think, in retrospective, that a back like Mendenhall this year had anything to do with it?

We have accused MM of not running the football enough, but our backs and OL weren't exactly helping. And with Starks, it has been a more balanced team. So there's that comparison...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been a supporter of MM's until after the Lions' game. We were flat and the o-line looked awful(again). I said then that unless MM turned things around and we missed the playoffs it would likely cost him his job.

He has turned things around, magnificently. His job is secure, but I'd stlll like for us to develop a dominating o-line and be better in special teams--both areas where I believe we could upgrade the coaching, regardless of the outcome of Sunday's Championship.

If we win Sunday, with our youth and depth, it could be the beginning of another Packer era in the NFL .

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
McCarthy is now a god.

In reality though, no coach is perfect, and it seems like the little things, and the off the field, and the pre-game things that McCarthy excels in. Yeah every-once in a while he is on drugs and makes a ridiculous clock management call, or sometimes he is a little stubborn with the play calling, but what coach isn't. McCarthy might be one of the best non-gameday coaches the packers have ever had. Whoever hired Capers needs to get an award though.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing I can't stand about MM right now is his 3rd and short play calling. I hope they threw all those plays out the window and started over.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing I can't stand about MM right now is his 3rd and short play calling. I hope they threw all those plays out the window and started over.

short yardage problems lie more with the o-line's inability to control the line of scrimmage than with the play-calls, imo.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
short yardage problems lie more with the o-line's inability to control the line of scrimmage than with the play-calls, imo.
Sure, but it's still on the coach to make due with what he's got. MM should realize that the line isn't going to get the push and call short plays like screens, slants, bootlegs, etc to get that yard.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, with thirty of the fifty total votes. McCarthy didn't receive even one. That surprised me a little. I think Thompson should get exec of the year.

OP
OP
GoSlash27

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're welcome. Who's BA?
Sorry I lost track of this thread. BA= Bruce Arians.

I don't think Arians is any more popular these days, even though we're in the superbowl. I think some folks have eased up a little because Big Ben likes him.
The big beefs with him are
1) Not enough run plays to keep us happy.
2) play calling too predictable.
3) Offensive scheme unimaginative.
4) Red zone offense sucks.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were times when I questioned MM I will admit.

But no denying what he did with a team that suffered a slew of injuries to key personnel.

I don't get how he doesn't even get one vote.

That's flat out ridiculous.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No votes for McCarthy. No votes for Tomlin. I think either of them would be happy with a Super Bowl win instead of coach of the year. So would Belechick.

Latest posts