Thomas to be moved to Safety?

JWalkRulz84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kffl.com reported that the Pack is toying with the idea of moving Thomas to safety. Personally, I would love this move. Thomas is 6'1 195 lbs and a fast guys as well. I love this move. Give me Joey Thomas and Thomas Davis at safety and that would be awesome...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Yea, that is true. I've been hearing/reading JT moving over along side Roman[hopefully to be replaced soon by a different name].

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm for trying anything that will help the team. With the state of the D they'll need to try a number of things to get better, but I believe they will. :D

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be a good move. We would probably draft CB again in the draft, but we do have Chris Johnson comming off of injury to push for the nickle spot. We would then have Jason Horton at the Dime spot. Not great, but no worse than last year.

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joey Thomas didn't seem to be the most steady tackler last year I guess Jim Bates must see something in him to think about moving him to safety.

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He likes his bawl hawking skills as well has his speed and range. That's what you look for in a free safety that hangs back and "plays centerfield".

walker84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am really interested to see if Thomas can produce this next season. Carrol should be challenged next year. I hope he gets his act together too.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
grabthar said:
He likes his bawl hawking skills as well has his speed and range. That's what you look for in a free safety that hangs back and "plays centerfield".
Exactly - let's hope he has a step or two more than what we've seen with the last Safety tandems we've had. I sincerely don't.. wanna see anymore 4th&26's.... you?

The definition as I have been told... of a Free Safety - not the Strong Safety...
is..... to watch the center... make it a point to focus on the QB's eyeballs and work to ferret out where he will be trying to make plays, then gain that extra step ahead of the called play to go out & grab (ball-hawking) the interception(s). Sharper was at his best when they set him with one goal on each play - and that was to try and sack the QB, or cause him to hurry up.. that Bear's game - he was outstanding... too bad it didn't last!

I still say we could use one of those that are coming up in the Draft
- I hope a couple slide down so we can take a real good look at 'em.

PackFanatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think about it Thomas and Thomas equals T N T and that could be dynamite

definitley have the right coach in Bates now need to get it together and win for Brett time is near

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Slick - I think you said you have a PackersNews login, too (?)

For the rest of the Gang ---- If you go to PackersNews.com and look over to the right side, usually - you find a Larry McCarren web page which is called: Learning the Game --- There you will find a list which was created with a new add-on each & every week last Season. I've done my best to stay on top of that review from Larry and I have copied with credit to Larry - everything that was ever posted (I think)...

If ya can't see it on PackersNews - then jump over to www.IndyPackerBackers.com and look for this link on the left side column of choices....

PLAY THE GAME

What you'll see are some (mostly) basic definitions and descriptions for the lay-fan of NFL Football - The Club Members really appreciated seeing these articles each week and by the end of the season, quite a few had actually quit yellin at the screen at the wrong times.... LOL

No doubt, I even learned a thing or two.... no kiddin'! -- :roll:

==================================

I just went back to look - and the regular open access does NOT feature a link now...
Probably be best to visit our Club web site and view 'em all over there.....

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i trust bates if he wants to try joey back there.

we need him to be a poor mans rodney harrison. that guy is all over the ball.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing Thomas tried at safety, but I wish he was about 20 pounds heavier to be able to handle the bruising runningbacks a little better.

It makes sense to try it though with Harris and Carroll pretty much locked in at corner. Butler and Lott started out as corners who moved to safety. So it doesn't hurt to give Thomas a try too since we have a need there with Sharper gone, and since Thomas is a young guy with some potential. We actually have 2 needs there because Roman isn't the answer either at safety.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I'm hoping Bates pays attention to is this -----

Have ya noticed that everybody on Defense has taken to grabbing the Opponent around his shoulders when tackling? As if the guy should suddenly just collapse.... DOH --- They need to return to fundamentals with tackling exercises..... every damn one of 'em! I cannot count the number of times, I've seen opponents haul our guys down the field into the end zone when they've tried tackling that way.... Marques Anderson was one of the worst.. Sharper wasn't any better.

They just need to be more physical and get back to fundamentals.

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
What I'm hoping Bates pays attention to is this -----

Have ya noticed that everybody on Defense has taken to grabbing the Opponent around his shoulders when tackling? As if the guy should suddenly just collapse.... DOH --- They need to return to fundamentals with tackling exercises..... every damn one of 'em! I cannot count the number of times, I've seen opponents haul our guys down the field into the end zone when they've tried tackling that way.... Marques Anderson was one of the worst.. Sharper wasn't any better.

They just need to be more physical and get back to fundamentals.

That's why we need a sound tackler like Thomas Davis or Crowder to show them how it's done.

I agree that the Packers defense was pretty horrible at tackling last season, but a lot of it was bad positioning. Most of the time the players were 1 on 1 because of all of the stupid "never get to the quarterback" blitzes Slowik ran. Bates will teach them fundamentals and put them in the right place so they can make plays.

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be totally honest, none of us have a clue how Bate's defense will work with our current defensive players. Was it the players or the defensive scheme in Miami that made it work? They had 2 very good corners, Zack Thomas in the middle, and Jason Taylor on the end. We have Barnett & KGB, but I don't think they are as good as Zack and Taylor.

Almost everyone I talked to thought that Slowiks scheme would work great too. They loved the blitzing aspect of it. We all know how that worked out.

We'll have to see who they pick up in the draft and how they fit the new scheme. Just remember, don't go nuts when we play great D in the first game. We already did that once and then lost the next 4.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts