This Super Bowl doesn't excite me

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not at all excited about the Super Bowl next week. I like to watch Payton Manning. When he is on his game, he's as good as it gets. The Bears just seem average to me. They've got a bad quarterback with average receivers. Their running game is intersting at best and I'm not all that impressed with their defense. It just looks to me like it's going to be kind of a "blah" super bowl Sunday.

On the other hand, I'm excited about this off season for the Packers. I wish Brett would make up his mind because that would give the Packers and upper hand on what they need to do at QB in free agency as well as the draft. I'm curious about how Ted is going to tweak this team. He has to find some young corners and safeties that can play. We need at least one receiver, a tight end that can catch the ball, and some depth in the line and at running back. I believe these are all things that can be accomplished during the offseason.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this sb does not excite me because i dont really like either team.

if we accomplish the things stated above and brett comes back we will be a playoff team for sure.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'll watch just cuz I like football.

Teams I like to see lose...
NFC
Vikings
Bears
Seahawks
Cowboys
Eagles

AFC
Colts
Jets
Broncos

My luck would have it Bears Colts in the SB...

Reaction score
I'm not so excited for the Superbowl for a different reason...

Don't get me wrong, it'll be fun to see two friends who are great coaches go up against each other, and have a top Offense like the Colts go up against a top Defence like the Bears. It is a classic O vs D match, only made more interesting by the fact that both teams employ very similar cover 2 systems.

The problem I have is the crap of Coach Dungy and Coach Smith being constantly talked about as the saviors of the NFL; the whole "First every black coaches to get there" nonsense.

The way they were going on (at least in Canada), you'd think slavery was abolished last year and this is the first big and most important step for the black man. Honestly I didn't even know Lovie was the first black coach to make it to the Superbowl, nor do I care. The best teams get there, and the best team usually has one of, if not the, best coaches. Irrespective of skin colour, the people that deserve to go there get there.

However when nonsense about this being a huge step forward for the NFL starts appearing in the media (it has been, at least in Canada), it's stupid. Being black now seems to have a whole new meaning just because two black coaches made it to the NFL, and that is just sick. The NFL broke racial barriers a long time ago.

To demonstrate how sickening it is to listen to this crap; the topic for a radio show in Toronto: "Finally the NFL has caught up with baseball in regards to black individuals"..... Need I say anymore?

IF this is the garbage they will be feeding during the broadcast, then I will not bother listening or watching the game. If I hear it once, goodbye Superbowl, hello 'doing nothing'.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not so excited about the Super Bowl Neither. Even the commercials are blase. But if you remember 10 years ago yesterday, the SB excited us because its where the Packers beat the Patriots. I still have that one on tape.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, the writers were looking for something new to chew on, and this was as good as anything. The problem is that this kind of coverage leads some to believe that the NFL has somehow held back blacks in the past and now, finally, has allowed them to take center stage. Some of these clowns have even chastised the league for not having minority owners as if somehow the NFL has prevented blacks from putting up $900mil to buy a team. Could it NOT be that the blacks with that kind of money don't care that much about pro football? NAH!! It MUST be some conspiracy! It's about creating victims.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, the writers were looking for something new to chew on, and this was as good as anything. The problem is that this kind of coverage leads some to believe that the NFL has somehow held back blacks in the past and now, finally, has allowed them to take center stage. Some of these clowns have even chastised the league for not having minority owners as if somehow the NFL has prevented blacks from putting up $900mil to buy a team. Could it NOT be that the blacks with that kind of money don't care that much about pro football? NAH!! It MUST be some conspiracy! It's about creating victims.
I agree SO much with this. And they wonder WHY blacks and whites don't get along! Cause they are constantly bombarded with this kind of crap! I don't care WHAT color they are. If they are best qualified, they deserve the job, PERIOD!
Wasn't Shell the coach of the Raiders when they made the Super Bowl? I probably am wrong on this, but i thought he was.
Man......if we look at things that way, maybe we should make guys like Donald Driver and Ahman Green sit so some slower, less talented white guy can get a shot. After all, arn't there MANY more black players at the WR and RB positions in the NFL? And what about basketball. To me, the most talented people should be playing or coaching.
They tell us we arn't supposed to see color, then THEY bring it up at EVERY chance they can!!!

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't Shell the coach of the Raiders when they made the Super Bowl? I probably am wrong on this, but i thought he was.

Art Shell's Raiders never went to the Super Bowl. Art Shell played in Super Bowl XI, but never coached a team in one.

The Raiders were hot in the 80s. Shell coached from '89 - '94 and the Raiders made it as far as the AFC Championship in only 1990.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not so excited about the Super Bowl Neither. Even the commercials are blase.

They show superbowl commercials..before the superbowl? I know those commercials are shown after the superbowl(again and again) but don't most DEBUT during the game?

Also, this should be a good SB. Interesting storylines

-Great D vs. Great O (maybe THE greatest of all teams this year on both sides)

-Peyton Mannings ****** trip

-Evil Rex or Good Rex? And can the Bears win if evil rex shows?

-2 black head coaches. This really is a non-issue, and I HATE the media for bringing it to my attention. I'd rather just say "2 great head coaches first trip to the big game" as if I give a **** what color they are.

Also, seeing as the Bears are in the big game now, this should renew the GB\Bears rivalry, since the Bears are the big dogs now instead of unloveable losers the last 20 years. I am getting tired of vikes\GB being the 'big rivalry' and hopefully the heat returns to the GB\Bears one now.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You will all hate me for this.... But I am going to be cheering for the Bears. I have many friends that are Bear Fans, and I think we all know that there are some GOOD Bear fans who come to this site and contribute. They are as passionate as Packer Fans.

The other reason I am rooting for the Bears is because they have been in the NFL a great deal longer than the Colts. That means right now, there is a Grandfather, who has been a Bear Fan his whole life, just like I am a fan and you are a fan, he has passion. Next Sunday he will have the whole family over, Sons, Daughters, Son in laws, and Daughter in Laws, Grandchildren, and even some of his old school mates that might still be alive.

He deserves a Superbowl before he passes...

The Colts fans are Basketball fans.... They have High school B-Ball to fall back on. Indy is not a true Football town like Green Bay and Chicago.

Go Bears.

RP

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The media has nothing to hype. They don't know what to talk about. It is just a real football game and they do not know what to say because they live off of the circus freak show stuff.
There are no major ***holes for either team.
The coaches act like professionals instead of some over bearing *******.
There is no stupid East coast vs. West coast thing.
There is no over rated Dallas Cowboys, T.O. and Big Tuna. No Romo.
There is no jerk that has to have props hidden on the field so he can dance like a drunken moron over a TD.
No one spit on another player and now it is payback time.
Just two teams playing for the world championship and casual fans have nothing to latch onto.

Anyone who finds a real Super Bowl boring really does not know that much about the game and were raised on MTv. They have no attention span and they need P-Diddy to liven up the show.
Maybe the people who do not like this match up can watch pro wrestling next Sunday instead.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The media has nothing to hype. They don't know what to talk about. It is just a real football game and they do not know what to say because they live off of the circus freak show stuff.

^^^^^this is pretty much it right here..

i think the race issue is noteworthy. they would probably be negligent not to mention it, as far as making it the focal point goes...defer to the quote above.

Cubanpenguin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
Im not so excited about the Super Bowl Neither. Even the commercials are blase.

They show superbowl commercials..before the superbowl? I know those commercials are shown after the superbowl(again and again) but don't most DEBUT during the game?

Also, this should be a good SB. Interesting storylines

-Great D vs. Great O (maybe THE greatest of all teams this year on both sides)

-Peyton Mannings ****** trip

-Evil Rex or Good Rex? And can the Bears win if evil rex shows?

-2 black head coaches. This really is a non-issue, and I HATE the media for bringing it to my attention. I'd rather just say "2 great head coaches first trip to the big game" as if I give a **** what color they are.

Also, seeing as the Bears are in the big game now, this should renew the GB\Bears rivalry, since the Bears are the big dogs now instead of unloveable losers the last 20 years. I am getting tired of vikes\GB being the 'big rivalry' and hopefully the heat returns to the GB\Bears one now.

LoL I forgot that Dungy is even black. He's more of a Milato. A half and half.

But anyways why would they point that out? Who cares if they're black, white, pink, purple or blue they are great coaches no matter what.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just the fuss. mention it once or twice, ok, i understand.

but a week(well 2 weeks) full of it is...well it shows how far America hasn't come, and it saddens me.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't care what color they are. Except them for who they are and what they have done.
The media loves to beat a story, any story into the ground because it takes less effort that way. Heaven forbid if they actually had to come up with something that has not been written about or talked about on ESPN over and over again.

You know, if the Colts and Bears had both lost last week would there have been any headlines that said "Black coaches fail to go to Super Bowl again"?
I doubt it.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
You know, if the Colts and Bears had both lost last week would there have been any headlines that said "Black coaches fail to go to Super Bowl again"?
I doubt it.

You're right to doubt it. It wouldn't have been mentioned at all. It'd be shedding a negative light on the 'black' community, but its okay to say over and over and over again that this SB will have the first two. That's okay.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
I doubt it.

You're right to doubt it. It wouldn't have been mentioned at all. It'd be shedding a negative light on the 'black' community, but its okay to say over and over and over again that this SB will have the first two. That's okay.

The more they mention it the more they make it seem like it was just luck or a fluke.
Just the opposite of what they claim to be stating really.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The media has nothing to hype.

Well, there is Tank Johnson.

Tank Johnson Excited About Florida’s Concealed Carry Law

Chicago Bears defensive lineman Tank Johnson, who was cleared by a judge in Illinois on Tuesday to leave the state for the Super Bowl, says he is ecstatic to make the trip to Miami so he can take advantage of the state’s liberal gun carry laws.

“Apparently Florida is practically like the Wild West,” said Johnson. “You get a permit and you can pack anywhere you want. I can’t wait to get down there. Going to the Super Bowl in Miami is going to be the greatest time of my life.”

Johnson, a 2004 draft pick by the Bears, was arrested in 2005 outside a Chicago nightclub for carrying a concealed Ruger 9mm under the seat of his SUV. He was arrested again last February for assaulting a police officer, to whom he said: “You ain’t the only one with a Glock. If it wasn’t for your gun and your badge, I’d kick your ***.” And then last month Johnson was arrested again when a police raid on his house uncovered handguns, rifles and some 550 rounds of ammunition.

And while Johnson is aware that he must have a permit to carry a weapon in Florida – a permit that can often take three months to acquire – he is focusing more on the spirit of the law.

“Getting an actual permit is just pointless paperwork,” said Johnson. “Basically, Florida lets people pack heat. That’s all I need to know. The rest is just details. It’s like how I’m not allowed to leave the state. But since I’m a rich, famous, football player, two judges are letting me leave to play in the Super Bowl. So if any cops try to give me trouble for having a gun in Florida without a permit, I’ll remind them that I’m an NFL player so that type of stuff doesn’t apply to me."

sportspickle.com

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DEAD BEATS!

This is an interesting matchup with QB Peyton Manning vs a solid Bears defense. Manning is one of the best QB's to play in the NFL. Can he get it done vs a good defense?

Can Rex Grossman step up and get the job done to quiet his critics? Can the Bears running game move the ball vs the Colts defense?

This is what the NFL is all about.

For the babies who aren't interested because the Packers aren't involved, if the Bears win you can claim the Packers are the real "CHAMPS!" The Packers beat the Bears 26-7 in Chicago on December 31st, 2006. You can root for the Bears! :cheerleader:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Philtration said:
I doubt it.

The more they mention it the more they make it seem like it was just luck or a fluke.
Just the opposite of what they claim to be stating really.

Yup Phil! Thats how i feel.
To me, nothing wrong with mentioning it, but hearing it day after day is stupid. As a country, don't they teach us now that skin color doesn't matter? Yet something like this comes up, and it's "jump on the color issue" boat. I'm honestly glad there are TWO black head coaches in it, as ONE of them HAS to win. Then they can't hype it so much.
Both of them seem to be great men, with class!

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but I CAN'T root for the Bears. I go back too many years. That said, I have a feeling that the Bears will win by utilizing the mistakes(fumbles, INTs) that actually decide most NFL games. I don't see them doing it by passing OR running. Manning will get harassed enough to gut his effectiveness. 20-16, Bears.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but I CAN'T root for the Bears. I go back too many years. That said, I have a feeling that the Bears will win by utilizing the mistakes(fumbles, INTs) that actually decide most NFL games. I don't see them doing it by passing OR running. Manning will get harassed enough to gut his effectiveness. 20-16, Bears.

I disagree, Manning will get his Super Bowl ring.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a tough call. The Bears seem to give up alot of passing yards, but also create alot of turnovers. Manning has been throwing ints this post season. Although the Colts have also proven they can play smashmouth football if need be against a good defense(Ravens). I think the Colts win, though I will be rooting for da bears.

Members online

Latest posts