This Offensive Line

D

Deleted member 6794

The pass protection has been outstanding this season and they do a good job blocking for the run. McCarthy's was right in assuming this would be the best OL during his tenure.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pass protection has been outstanding this season and they do a good job blocking for the run. McCarthy's was right in assuming this would be the best OL during his tenure.

Rodgers literally could not run the whole second half yesterday. He was limping down the field after plays and he still was not touched. It was incredible.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass protection was great but so was run blocking. Lacy certainly made some of his trademark great moves but the lineman were moving one of the best defensive lines in recent history.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I remember some talk around here about how Aikman is biased against the Pack.

But I always thought his announcing was that of a football fan. When something is done well and consistently, he praises it, regardless of the team.

As a great ex-QB, I think he knows a thing or two about what a good Offensive Line should look like and he had pretty high praise for the Packers O Line.

So, I didn't have a problem with Aikman before yesterday and now I'm certain that he just likes to see good football regardless of who's playing it.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been worrying about the O-Line since the year we won the Superbowl. I am happy too say, this season it is least of my worries. This is the best O-Line I've seen here in years. During one of the games, one of the announcers remarked on how Rodgers himself said and I paraphrase, this is the best O-Line he's ever played with.

Putting that to the test, I don't think Rodgers, with his injury would of come out in the 2nd half to play behind an O-Line he didn't fully trust to protect him.

Well done O-Line so far this year. It's been tested against Seattle and even the D of the Bills. Both are games we lost. I am a bit concerned with how this team performs against teams with good defenses. I don't think that is something we can put on the O-Line itself.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously!!!!!!!!!
Really, well if you have access to a replay of the game and you watch from the dispicable act on, you will see Lang jawing at him face to face in between plays. And he was the only one!

So after watching the replay, the only player who could have seen in live was Bakhtiari. Lang must have either seen the video board or was going off of what Rodgers said.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So after watching the replay, the only player who could have seen in live was Bakhtiari. Lang must have either seen the video board or was going off of what Rodgers said.
You are correct Bakhtiari did see it, you can see that on the replay, yet chose not to call the dirt bag out.
What difference does it make how Lang knew about it, at least he had the balls to call him on it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have often been critical of this unit in the past, but I'm extremely pleased with them. They've been rock solid in both the run and pass games. I'll make the claim again; Josh Sitton is the best guard in the NFL.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I have often been critical of this unit in the past, but I'm extremely pleased with them. They've been rock solid in both the run and pass games. I'll make the claim again; Josh Sitton is the best guard in the NFL.

I think the O line has been the most consistent group on the team, if you look at the last 8 or 10 weeks of the season.
Not sure if it was last year or the year or two prior but Rodgers was one of the most sacked QBs in the league. No more.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the O line has been the most consistent group on the team, if you look at the last 8 or 10 weeks of the season.
Not sure if it was last year or the year or two prior but Rodgers was one of the most sacked QBs in the league. No more.

From 2011-13 only three teams gave up more sacks than the Packers. Rodgers' tendency to hold on to the ball and extend plays is part of the reason for that though.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
From 2011-13 only three teams gave up more sacks than the Packers. Rodgers' tendency to hold on to the ball and extend plays is part of the reason for that though.
He still extends plays. He just doesn't get sacked that much when doing it.

D

Deleted member 6794

He still extends plays. He just doesn't get sacked that much when doing it.

Exactly. The thing I tried to point out in my previous post is that whike the sack numbers have been high over the last few seasons it wasn't always the OL's fault. They're doing an excellent job of keeping Rodgers clean even if he extends plays this season.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Exactly. The thing I tried to point out in my previous post is that whike the sack numbers have been high over the last few seasons it wasn't always the OL's fault. They're doing an excellent job of keeping Rodgers clean even if he extends plays this season.

Yea. It's quite a nice surprise and it gives me hope against Seattle which to me is our greatest obstacle to the SB.

I haven't given much thought to Dallas but they are legit as well. We have not seen the December swoon that Romo usually gives.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it was PART of the problem. I hold the opinion he made the offensive line look better than they were for a long time. once and a while he'd hold the ball too long. Many times he wouldn't even get to his drop point and have to move off his target because of almost instant pressure. Then yes, he was forced to hold the ball, because he was forced to find a new throwing lane and platform to set up or throw from running and that threw off timing and progressions and still he was one of the best in the business. But there were so many times he didn't even have 2 seconds to get the ball out and he had to move.

the last 3/4 of this season they have been extremely good at their protections, better than I ever thought they could be.

D

Deleted member 6794

it was PART of the problem. I hold the opinion he made the offensive line look better than they were for a long time. once and a while he'd hold the ball too long. Many times he wouldn't even get to his drop point and have to move off his target because of almost instant pressure. Then yes, he was forced to hold the ball, because he was forced to find a new throwing lane and platform to set up or throw from running and that threw off timing and progressions and still he was one of the best in the business. But there were so many times he didn't even have 2 seconds to get the ball out and he had to move.

Rodgers had 2.86 seconds (2011), 2.88 (2012) and 2.86 (2014) average time to throw the ball, so it doesn't seem like he has more time as a passer this season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so you think the past 3/4 of the season the oline has looked like last year or the year before? Because I don't, and I don't care what some statistical average tells me

D

Deleted member 6794

so you think the past 3/4 of the season the oline has looked like last year or the year before? Because I don't, and I don't care what some statistical average tells me

The pass blocking is better this season than in previous ones but not as dramatically as you might expect. The total amount of sacks allowed doesn't tell the whole story.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe not a very popular opinion but I'm proud of the boys today. Maybe they were sending a message to Suh and Seattle or maybe a message got sent to them since the Detroit game, but that near brawl in the 2nd half made me damn proud. THIS is what should've happened (at least) when Suh stepped on Rodgers. Lang took the penalty and looked like an a**hole, but at some point you have to to prove "hey we aren't wusses" and be the a**hole. Bakhtiari I don't know who he grabbed and threw down but it looked like Brock Lesnar getting ahold of a midget! I believe all 5 guys were in on it, so it was good as well to see them stand as a unit, instead of the other guys looking at one of them and basically saying 'well do we have 5 or 4 here?'