Offensive Line - Personnel

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently there are 11 o-linemen on the 53 man roster. Zero on the practice squad.

Breakdown:

Tackles - Bakhtiari, Nijman, Walker, C. Jones
T/G - Jenkins, Newman, Tom, Ryhan
Guards - Runyan
C/G - Hanson
Center - Myers

With zero on the practice squad, the Packers are clearly trying to protect Walker and C. Jones from being sniped by the growing number of teams with offensive line problems. I just don't see a legitimate scenario where any of them get traded until very close to the trade deadline.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The trade deadline is 4PM (EST) 11/01/22.

I don't foresee trading any of our current OL unless Gute has no intentions of re-signing Jenkins AND the chances of going deep into the playoffs is less than 5%.
- IF Bakhtiari is playing, well, then he stays.
- IF he's still injured & not playing I doubt any other team will trade for him and absorb his huge salaries.
- Everyone else is either a starter or has the potential to become one in the next 2 years, so they're worth much more to GB than a late round pick.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see Zack Tom get a few starts at RG next to Jenkins. Newman is average at best while Tom has the potential to be another Jenkins. The knock on Tom is that he's a bit "small" for a tackle which I doubt but putting him inside plays to his strengths.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of our players Yosh carries the most likely path to trade IMO for multiple reasons -

He may not be part of our future depending on how staff sees our OL future 2023 and 2024 prospects at Tackle
He's proven with each game now that he is a capable starting level tackle in the league.
Low cost hit if moved.

Jenkins fits the bill too, but I don't envision a world where we let him leave. If we traded Jenkins he would clearly garner massive return - I just don't see it happening.

IF Green Bay pulled a surprise trade it could be a guy like Newman, lot of starts, but perhaps we don't envision his future here. A rookie deal cheap for a team that may be hungry to cling to playoff hunt could be interested.

Personally I see us not trading any OL though and this is purely an exercise of discussion above.

Reaction score
I still have high hopes for Rasheed Walker.
Yes. I can see him developing into a solid starter. I’m also intrigued by Zach Tom, he just looks very young Elgton Jenkins like. I’m hoping between those 2 we get 1 above average starting OT.
You know That’s the thing with position groups. The more draft “dart throws” the higher the possibility you hit a bullseye.
It’s not always draft placing that gains a quality starter. Sometime you get a group of 7th Rounder-Priority UDFA types and through developing they just click. I see Nijman as a close example of that and he’s still relatively inexperienced.
On the other side you trade up and get a Jason Spriggs and they just don’t translate. It’s a strange deal, but we seem to find a sweet spot at OL in the draft between #125-#175 overall neighborhood.
Bak and Corey are good examples.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Bakh did well, not great, but well in his tandem approach back with Yosh. I think if Bakh is back it makes for some really interesting decisions along the front....now assuming Josh Myers is good to go and not an issue moving forward...I'd argue your best 5 OL are (in no order): Myers, Bakh, Jenkins, Yosh and JRJ. To me that signals I role Jenkins back to a guard slot, Yosh at RT and go.

Thoughts? If Myers is out easy, shove Jenkins at Center of the front Bakh LT and Yosh RT and roll.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If and when Myers gets hurt again, I would move Jenkins to center and put Yosh at RT. Same move if any of the guards go down. I also think it's time to replace Newman with Tom. Zach Tom has a much higher ceiling and has shown he can compete. When fully healthy, I would go with Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, Tom and Jenkins.

D

Deleted member 6794

So Bakh did well, not great, but well in his tandem approach back with Yosh. I think if Bakh is back it makes for some really interesting decisions along the front....now assuming Josh Myers is good to go and not an issue moving forward...I'd argue your best 5 OL are (in no order): Myers, Bakh, Jenkins, Yosh and JRJ. To me that signals I role Jenkins back to a guard slot, Yosh at RT and go.

Thoughts? If Myers is out easy, shove Jenkins at Center of the front Bakh LT and Yosh RT and roll.

Nijman hasn't played a single snap on the right side of the offensive line in the NFL so far though. While he started at RT for one season in college back in 2018 that might be a thing to consider as well.

When fully healthy, I would go with Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, Tom and Jenkins.

In my opinion Nijman should currently be considered a better option as Tom.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nijman hasn't played a single snap on the right side of the offensive line in the NFL so far though. While he started at RT for one season in college back in 2018 that might be a thing to consider as well.

Hang on...didn't Nijman play RT with Elgton LT last year before Jenkins went down?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently not... this is a decent article on potentially switching him to RT. Love the analogy by Billy Turner. :)
See my above post, already conceded as I confirmed he hasn't. I was shocked, clearly drank too much one game and saw reverse or it was preseason maybe? I don't know. Either way, its a good problem to have where we don't think Yosh is our best option at LT because Bakh is back.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nijman isn't a guard and isn't a good option to replace Newman. The Packers could move Jenkins to RG and put Nijman at RT to get Newman to the bench but I want my best player, in this case, Jenkins at OT.

D

Deleted member 6794

See my above post, already conceded as I confirmed he hasn't. I was shocked, clearly drank too much one game and saw reverse or it was preseason maybe? I don't know. Either way, its a good problem to have where we don't think Yosh is our best option at LT because Bakh is back.

Nijman has played a total of 19 snaps at right tackle during the preseason with all of them coming in week 3 of last year at Buffalo.

Nijman isn't a guard and isn't a good option to replace Newman. The Packers could move Jenkins to RG and put Nijman at RT to get Newman to the bench but I want my best player, in this case, Jenkins at OT.

In my opinion the best line combination would be from left to right: Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Nijman. That's if Nijam can actually play right tackle.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion the best line combination would be from left to right: Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Nijman. That's if Nijam can actually play right tackle.
I don't disagree at all with this "best 5" list, but I believe Runyan has only played RG one or two games & Nijman RT only preseason. Having an entire right side in new positions might be a short-term step backwards?

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't disagree at all with this "best 5" list, but I believe Runyan has only played RG one or two games & Nijman RT only preseason. Having an entire right side in new positions might be a short-term step backwards?

You're right about it that Runyan has hardly played on the right side at the pro and collegiate level as well. It might not be a smart approach to put him on that side next to Nijman after all.

Reaction score
You're right about it that Runyan has hardly played on the right side at the pro and collegiate level as well. It might not be a smart approach to put him on that side next to Nijman after all.
My wish is to have Bak-Runyon-Meyers-Jenkins-Nij

I like that because Jenkins shores up that Right side as a relative strength as Yosh's partner (who is talented but still newer) and the Bak and Runyon combo is pretty formidable. That gives us Newman and Tom as first option backups, which I feel better about for now

Last edited:

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's time to move Jenkins back inside. His run blocking is fine, but he's not moving well enough to contain dominant pass rushers like Judon. Give Nijman a shot at right tackle now that DBakh appears to be able to go for a full game.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about Bak, Jenkins, Meyers, Tom, Nijman. I do like getting Bak and Jenkins next to each other that makes for a dominant left side by the time the playoffs come around

Reaction score
How about Bak, Jenkins, Meyers, Tom, Nijman. I do like getting Bak and Jenkins next to each other that makes for a dominant left side by the time the playoffs come around
I’m thinking more along the line of putting the best 5 out there and I’m not convinced Tom is better than Runyon just yet (maybe he is in the long-term?)
I do remember Tom filling in for Runyon at LG when he injured @MN, but there’s a reason they reverted back to Runyon.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's time to move Jenkins back inside. His run blocking is fine, but he's not moving well enough to contain dominant pass rushers like Judon. Give Nijman a shot at right tackle now that DBakh appears to be able to go for a full game.

totally agree. I think the only issue we will face is that Elgtin might want top OT money... So do you pay a Top 5 (or 3) ELITE offensive guard a top OT money when he is just "so so" at OT?

this is my guess

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins has made $9.348Mil total over the last 4 years for an average of $2.337Mil/yr. He's played at an All-Pro level as LG, and more than adequately filled-in at OC, LT & RT (don't think he's played in a game at RG). Jenkins is 27 years old, still has plenty of years left, and will get handsomely paid by someone. The '23 Franchise Tag is expected to be around $17.67Mil for OL.

Per OTC the top salary is currently at:
LT - $23.01Mil/yr
LG - $20Mil/yr
OC - $14Mil/yr
RG - $16.5Mil/yr
RT - $19.2Mil/yr.

Gute may be able to structure a deal similar to Bakhtiari - 5yr/$92Mil ($23Mil/yr)and heavily backload the last year or 2 salaries... but should he? IF there's enough adequate (not necessarily All-Pro level) replacements (Tom, Newman, Runyan, Rhyan) maybe use that cap money to shore-up 2-4 other positions & be happy with a '24 3rd round comp pick?

There's a long way until the end of the season and a lot may change with Jenkins & Bakhtiari's health and/or the play of Newman, Runyan, Tom, Rhyan, & Hanson. Will be more clear in February.

Staff online

Latest posts