The Steelers have been to the SB more recently. BFD

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Experience matters. It is the ability to handle distractions and control emotions. Last year it took Rodgers a couple of series to settle down in his 1st playoff game as a starter. We have already created a self-distraction with who gets to be in the team photo. I do believe we will be able to handle this because Rodgers showed the ability to recover from a nervous start.....
True and we can hope.
But even after he recovered from that nervous start in AZ (remember he threw Int on first pass), he still started the do-or-die overtime period by missing a wide-open Greg Jennings with a bad overthrow, and then freezing up 2 plays later on 3rd down, and fumbling the ball, game, and season away.

It seems like I am the only one in here who remembers his bad things, and remembers how horrible he was over the final 10 drives in Chicago last week (passer rating 25)?

Now, on the flip side, he and this team have now played 5 straight do-or-die games and have won all 5 of them.

-Giants, crushed them behind red hot Rodgers
-Bears, edged them thanks to our defense, 10-3
-Eagles, edged them thanks to their kicker hooking 2 FGs
-Falcons, crushed them behind red hot Rodgers
-Bears, edged them thanks to our defense and punter
-Steelers, ? if the pattern holds, see Eagles game

Steeler Tim

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think experience plays a part in the SB game. The reason I think that is because of players who have played the game have said so.

Now, when they say experience plays a part they aren't talking about the game itself. They are talking about the preparation leading up to the game. They say no matter what others tell you about all the hoopla and distractions you can't imagine it unless you experience it. It will affect your concentration leading up to the game.

Experience doesn't mean you will automatically win the game (Buffalo went to 4 straight and lost them all). It just means you might get a little edge in game prep. You still have to go out and play the game. You still have to play better than the other guy no matter how much experience you have.

If it means Rodgers comes out over-hyped for the first series then that gives the Steelers 1 less series they have to worry about him. It may mean something or it may mean nothing. I can tell you it mattered in Ben's first SB game. He was money in the playoffs winning 3 straight on the road (sound familiar?). He did not throw well at all in the game ... missing a wide open Randle El and instead having it intercepted and letting Seattle back in the game. His next SB game he was great.

Take from all that what you will. It may provide a little edge but certainly doesn't guarantee victory.

Members online

Latest posts