The Steelers have been to the SB more recently. BFD

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cannot stand this argument I see on here about the Steelers.
"The Steelers are going to win because they have more experience in the big game."
Well I had no idea the Packers were playing touch football up to now.

It's an irrelevant argument since the Packers just won 5 playoff games in a row with three of them on the road and being the underdogs in a few of them.

So if the Pack can do it in 5 big games, the SB does not look like that big of a deal.
This Packers team has proved that they have just as much experience as the Steelers in terms of big games.
Do not underestimate the Packers just because this team has not been to the SB before.
:superman:

pghkev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"The Steelers are going to win because they have more experience in the big game."

It's an irrelevant argument since the Packers just won 5 playoff games in a row with three of them on the road and being the underdogs in a few of them.

So if the Pack can do it in 5 big games, the SB does not look like that big of a deal.
This Packers team has proved that they have just as much experience as the Steelers in terms of big games.
Do not underestimate the Packers just because this team has not been to the SB before.

Bro,,, I have read allot of your posts the past few days. If anyone is doing the "underestimating", its you! Yes the Pack are hot, yes they have a great team. But don't go celebrating your SB victory just yet.
Kisses

BlackNGold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Experience is huge in the Super Bowl. Yes the Packers have won some big games to get to this point, but the hype leading up to this game is all to easy to get caught up into. Many of the TV heads who have played in Super Bowls have attested to this. The Steelers have a 25 players who have been to the Super Bowl, quite a few of whom have been to two already. The Packers have 2.

Now with that said, you still have to play the game. Ben has said that he still gets butterflies before big games. The Steelers players are still going to be just as nervous as the Packers. Everything is riding on this one game. Nothing that was done up to this point matters anymore, including past Super Bowls and playoff experience.

I don't think that Super Bowl experience matters at all after the opening kickoff. I think it is mostly only a factor leading up to the game. Some teams may over prepare and approach the game differently than they normally would. It's easy to get caught up in the media hype. Once the players get on the field it's going to be business as usual.

Experience or not, it's going to be a great game between two very evenly matched teams.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score

I don't know if you're old enough to have much memory of SB XXXI (some here aren't), but for two straight weeks prior to the game, it was "Parcells, Parcells, Parcells" and all about how he told the Patriots: "If you get me to the Super Bowl, I'll show you how to win it." We were supposed to be afraid because he'd done it before. He was the genius, the guru, the Rasputin of Pro Football, blah, blah, blah...Holmgren's inexperienced Packers could supposedly never match what Parcells brought to the table.

We all know how that turned out. I just tune out the "Steelers' experience" argument, too, because I just don't think it means that much.

They might win the game, but I very much doubt that will be the reason if they do. If anything, I think because of it, the Hunger Factor™ belongs to Green Bay.

BearDroppings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bro,,, I have read allot of your posts the past few days. If anyone is doing the "underestimating", its you! Yes the Pack are hot, yes they have a great team. But don't go celebrating your SB victory just yet.
Kisses

Really troll? REALLY? None of us are THAT confident in our team. Maybe it's your fanbase that seems to be quite arrogant every year about a superbowl. Look you do have experience, and that counts. But you do realize its two teams battling out for the lombardi. But hey you know the Steelers are "the team" that is supposed to win it. Yup congrats....

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 1996 Patriots weren't that good. They were lucky to get into that game. We were clearly the superior team.

Super Bowl experience matters a lot.
I guarantee you that Rodgers and our guys will be more nervous than R***lisberger and the Steelers. That probably won't matter much after the beginning stages, but it could get us off to a bad start. Never know.

But the part that is a for-sure factor is the late game heroic crap. We've seen that bast*** Roethlisberger pull wins out of his *** many times, both in regular season games (like against us), and in a Super Bowl. His drive and perfect pass to Holmes that beat Arizona was amazing. Remember, Rodgers had that same chance to beat Arizona in overtime with a way more-open Greg Jennings, and he overthrew him completely. That was a playoff win there with a good pass in the clutch. And an easier pass than the one to Santonio Holmes.

Let's cut the BS here and admit those facts. Now what it means next Sunday, we don't know yet. But those are facts so far.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I think our QB leader who has dealt with pressure and expectations up to probably no other is still rather cool as a cucumber. The guy couldn't even tie his shoes without being told that he is no Favre, and he isn't. Our Defensive and team leader Woodson, has been to the Super Bowl and lost, he is the experienced leader telling them what to expect. And the guy is pretty confident, he told our President that it will be his team to greet him at his house their next visit. Our team knows about pressure, and they recognized their mistakes from last year that kept them out. They know they are fighting to bring the Lombardi home.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
I think our QB leader who has dealt with pressure and expectations up to probably no other is still rather cool as a cucumber. The guy couldn't even tie his shoes without being told that he is no Favre, and he isn't. Our Defensive and team leader Woodson, has been to the Super Bowl and lost, he is the experienced leader telling them what to expect. And the guy is pretty confident, he told our President that it will be his team to greet him at his house their next visit. Our team knows about pressure, and they recognized their mistakes from last year that kept them out. They know they are fighting to bring the Lombardi home.

THIS. These guys are professionals, and they're focused. They've said they're thinking of it as playing the Steelers. I think that's a good way for them to look at it.

(And we can ask Tom Brady and Bill Belichick if experience always wins you the Super Bowl.)

I'm not saying we definitely win - just saying I like our chances and I'm just not that worried about this particular factor.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did the experience help the colts last year? Weren't the colts supposed to destroy the saints?
Ya know, all of America was rooting for the Saints because of Katrina and they just deserved to win.
And now all of America will be rooting for the Pack because they know that Green Bay is titletown.
There is just something more lovable of the good 'ol Packers compared to the Steelers.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Just curious, how much good did all that experience do for us in the 97 SB?

I was going to say the same thing. 97, the experience did squat for us. Broncos rolled over us. Guess there are always the homer element in any fanbase who just can't help themselves.

Experience? Last time I checked the rules for the SB are the same rules the teams have played by all year. Seriously, what does it matter if a team was in the SB last year vs this year? Other than maybe confidence which they should have now since they are IN the SB.

Nope, the team that wins is victorious because they are the better team, not because of experience from a game played 12 months ago. IMHO.

pghkev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya know, all of America was rooting for the Saints because of Katrina and they just deserved to win.
And now all of America will be rooting for the Pack because they know that Green Bay is titletown.
There is just something more lovable of the good 'ol Packers compared to the Steelers.

I wouldn't believe what the media is selling about the Pack being the most loved. I live in South Carolina and there are so many Steelers fans here that they show every Steelers game on the local television station. I also drove past one of the more popular golf courses here in MB and they have a congratulations Steelers sign on their billboard (this is South Carolina!) No doubt the national media hates Pittsburgh and they will take many shots at us the next 10 days. Don't believe the hype

BigBayBlues

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Experience is huge in the Super Bowl. Yes the Packers have won some big games to get to this point, but the hype leading up to this game is all to easy to get caught up into. Many of the TV heads who have played in Super Bowls have attested to this. The Steelers have a 25 players who have been to the Super Bowl, quite a few of whom have been to two already. The Packers have 2.

Now with that said, you still have to play the game. Ben has said that he still gets butterflies before big games. The Steelers players are still going to be just as nervous as the Packers. Everything is riding on this one game. Nothing that was done up to this point matters anymore, including past Super Bowls and playoff experience.

I don't think that Super Bowl experience matters at all after the opening kickoff. I think it is mostly only a factor leading up to the game. Some teams may over prepare and approach the game differently than they normally would. It's easy to get caught up in the media hype. Once the players get on the field it's going to be business as usual.

Experience or not, it's going to be a great game between two very evenly matched teams.

I gotta agree with this post. I really do believe that the experience applies mostly to the two weeks leading up to SB. An example of distraction caused by inexperience is the way Barnett and Finley handled the picture fiasco. If you have a complaint that's fine...don't go airing those complaints in public when your team is trying to stay focused and get ready for the biggest game of most of its players' lives.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't believe what the media is selling about the Pack being the most loved. I live in South Carolina and there are so many Steelers fans here that they show every Steelers game on the local television station. I also drove past one of the more popular golf courses here in MB and they have a congratulations Steelers sign on their billboard (this is South Carolina!) No doubt the national media hates Pittsburgh and they will take many shots at us the next 10 days. Don't believe the hype

hmm fact or fiction that "they show ever steelers game on the local television station." in SC. well I dont know where exactly the poster lives in SC but we should still be able to see if this is true.

Week 1 Atlanta @ Steelers - about 10% of the state (Georgia border) got this game on CBS. Most likely due to being so close to ATL.

Week 2 Pitt @ Tenn - about 75% of the state got this game, as the only logical choice was this or the Miami Minnesota game. Tenn is bordering so it only makes sense.

Week 3 Pittsburg @ Tampa Bay - no one in the state got this game unless you had sunday ticket. 90% of the state saw the carolina game (im sorry) and the rest saw the Titans Giants game.

Week 4 Balt @ Pitt - most of the major markets got this early game including 85% of SC

Week 5 bye

Week 6 Cleveland vs Pitt - 10% of the state of sc got this game. Not the same part of sc that got the week 1 game. Most saw Balt vs NE and some say Packers vs Miami.

Week 7 - a 1/3 of the state got the Steelers Dolphins game. Others got the Falcons game and a few got the Jags game.

week 8 - Sunday night game. Entire nation got it.

week 9 - Monday night game. Entire nation got it.

week 10 - Sunday night game. Entire nation got it.

week 11- oakland at Pittsburg. No one in SC got this game

week 12 Pitt @ Buffalo. No one in SC got this game.

week 13 Sunday night game. Entire nation go it.

week 14 Pitt vs Cinci - most of the nation got this game. SC split this game and the Jax game.

week 15 - Jets @ pitt - most of the nation got this later game. Only if you lived in colorado or west of there did you get anything else.

week 16 - Thursday night game. No local providers had this game.

week 17 - Pitt @ Cleveland - SC got this game.

so no you didnt get every game. But before you brag about the prime time game you got, the packers were featured 7 times in the afternoon(3:15 game which is a majority of the country game) or night slot (Sunday or Monday night). While the Steelers were featured 5 times.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
also according to the most recent harris poll (2010) the packers were the 3rd most popular team while the Steelers were 4th.

Black and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta agree with this post. I really do believe that the experience applies mostly to the two weeks leading up to SB. An example of distraction caused by inexperience is the way Barnett and Finley handled the picture fiasco. If you have a complaint that's fine...don't go airing those complaints in public when your team is trying to stay focused and get ready for the biggest game of most of its players' lives.

That's how I see it as well, essentially. Distractions can cause problems with preparation and focus, but I don't think experience adds to any team's performance.

Jimmy Johnson was on Mike & Mike this morning with the basically the same message. He said he kept practices nearly identical to any other game--the difference was whether or not he had one week or two to prepare. If he had two weeks, the first week was all football and little game planning (obviously excepting the coaching staff.) Otherwise, he had liasons for players to handle non-football related problems like arranging tickets for friends and family which kept the players focused on football.

I see Green Bay as having a sort of institutional experience (Lombardi, history of excellence, great fanbase) that bleeds into the team. I don't see the picture comments as significant except as a learning experience to a couple of individuals. Same goes for any perceived edge Pittsburgh might have; I don't think there's much weight to that argument at all.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can all disagree on how experience plays a role in the SB. I dont think it does, as the packers failed to repeat in 97, and the Bills could never seem to benefit from going to SBs. Bottom line its always any given sunday.

cakoski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Experience matters. It is the ability to handle distractions and control emotions. Last year it took Rodgers a couple of series to settle down in his 1st playoff game as a starter. We have already created a self-distraction with who gets to be in the team photo. I do believe we will be able to handle this because Rodgers showed the ability to recover from a nervous start and Woodson has been there and will get the defense in line.

As for 1997, one the a few of the Broncos had Super Bowl experience including Elway. And we had a huge distraction all that week with whether Holmgren was going to go to Seattle which he did a year later.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would imagine an equal number of Steelers and Packers are throwing up just before gametime. Once the hitting starts, the nervousness is gone, and the team that doesn't beat itself will win.

I like the Packers.

BearDroppings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can get Steelers games in Baltimore as well, the reception will touch as far as the DC burbs as well. DC has a HUGE Steelers fanbase, and there's also a ton of Packers fans as well living in the DC metro. I was in Rockville just today, and I saw a GIANT Steelers billboard off 270 driving up into Frederick. Trust me they have a presence out here. The Redskins have not been good since the early 90's so the feeling is in the air.

Members online

Latest posts