The Spark our run game needs?

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen Christan Michael run the ball for us much yet. But with the game vs the Texans tomorrow I'm hoping we start to see him getting involved in our offense. Starks just isn't getting it done for us, and even though Rip is effective you cant rely on our FB to run 15 times to get the defense to respect that phase. I'm predicting we see Michael have a big game vs the Texans and play his **** off vs his former Seahawks. If we can get the run game moving it will make our playoff run much easier!

D

Deleted member 6794

I haven't seen Christan Michael run the ball for us much yet. But with the game vs the Texans tomorrow I'm hoping we start to see him getting involved in our offense. Starks just isn't getting it done for us, and even though Rip is effective you cant rely on our FB to run 15 times to get the defense to respect that phase. I'm predicting we see Michael have a big game vs the Texans and play his **** off vs his former Seahawks. If we can get the run game moving it will make our playoff run much easier!

While I agree that a decent running game would improve our offense I have a hard time believing Michael has grasped the Packers complicated playbook by now, especially after rumors about him having trouble with other teams in that area. It's essential for him to know his assignments though before getting significant playing time in Green Bay.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He can't be any worse than Starks. Sure, KD was a bust, but at least Michael doesn't seem to have injury problems plaguing him the whole way to China, and god do I hope TT throws Starks outta here by the time this season is done.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The spark our run game needs is for our passing game to be consistently good. If Rodgers is on fire, you could stick anybody from off the street into the backfield and they would perform at a serviceable level.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should run exactly as many times as they need to to win. Considering how much better Rodgers is than anyone in the backfield and how hot Adams has been lately, I expect to see 40+ passes again tomorrow. That said, I hope to see more of Montgomery. He's not some burst and he can catch out of the backfield without me holding my breath every time. Starks has to be the guy who gets the most carries if for no other reason than that he's a lot sturdier than any of the rest and can deliver some hits himself, but I don't expect to win because of him. If we win, it'll be because of 12 and whoever he's throwing to and the oline blocking Merciless.

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should run exactly as many times as they need to to win. Considering how much better Rodgers is than anyone in the backfield and how hot Adams has been lately, I expect to see 40+ passes again tomorrow. That said, I hope to see more of Montgomery. He's not some burst and he can catch out of the backfield without me holding my breath every time. Starks has to be the guy who gets the most carries if for no other reason than that he's a lot sturdier than any of the rest and can deliver some hits himself, but I don't expect to win because of him. If we win, it'll be because of 12 and whoever he's throwing to and the oline blocking Merciless.

I'm with you on this. They need to continue with what's been working on offense for the past few games when their offense was working. Usually when their offense doesn't work is when they either try to run too much or completely abandon the run. I'm perfectly fine with AR throwing it 40+ times a game as long as they still run just enough to keep the defense honest.

D

Deleted member 6794

The spark our run game needs is for our passing game to be consistently good. If Rodgers is on fire, you could stick anybody from off the street into the backfield and they would perform at a serviceable level.

With Rodgers throwing the ball a ton of times pass protection is one of the primary assignments for a running back. Therefore Michael won't get a significant amount of snaps before fully grasping the playbook.

I'm perfectly fine with AR throwing it 40+ times a game as long as they still run just enough to keep the defense honest.

Rodgers getting rid of the ball extremely fast slows down the pass rush as well. Currently there!s no reason to hit a predetermined number of runs during a game.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2000 Philadelphia Eagles were the last NFL team to have their quarterback lead the team in rushing. Eddie Lacy ended the season with 360 rushing yards. Aaron Rodgers currently has 285 yards. Ty Montgomery has 147 yards rushing and James Starks is in 4th place with a whooping 141 rushing yards (2.5 yards/carry).

Can the Packers make history? Rodgers only needs to average 15 yards/game to tie Lacy for the team lead.

D

Deleted member 6794

The 2000 Philadelphia Eagles were the last NFL team to have their quarterback lead the team in rushing. Eddie Lacy ended the season with 360 rushing yards. Aaron Rodgers currently has 285 yards. Ty Montgomery has 147 yards rushing and James Starks is in 4th place with a whooping 141 rushing yards (2.5 yards/carry).

Can the Packers make history? Rodgers only needs to average 15 yards/game to tie Lacy for the team lead.

That hamstring injury might prevent Rodgers from rushing for another 75 yards the rest of the season.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That hamstring injury might prevent Rodgers from rushing for another 75 yards the rest of the season.

If that's true, might as well just shut it down. Rodgers rushing for a first down on third-and-long has been the Packers best offensive weapon this season.

D

Deleted member 6794

If that's true, might as well just shut it down. Rodgers rushing for a first down on third-and-long has been the Packers best offensive weapon this season.

I think the hamstring injury will result in Rodgers being less mobile, just like at the end of the 2014 season. The ball control, short passing offense should still be able to work effectively though and maybe even force the team to stick with it.

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not able to watch game today. Is Michael playing much?

He had 9 carries for 19 yards, 2.1 avg. He didn't look as bad as his stat line says though, IMO. Had a few good runs and showed some quickness, something that backfield has been lacking. Could have had a few more good runs if the line held just a bit longer. I believe I only remember seeing one of his runs that I questioned the hole it hit. Did not look too good in pass protection though.

Still was better then Starks fabulous 1 yard on 4 carries. Looked like he wanted to tango with the defense other then running the damn ball.