The Season of Cheer

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.kenoshanews.com/article_comments/view_comments.php?articleNum=8806

The Packers (5-8) currently sit 10th in the NFC standings and have to climb up to No. 6 to reach the postseason.

Given the way Green Bay frittered away victories against New Orleans, St. Louis and at Buffalo earlier in the season fans are probably banging their collective heads against a wall thinking what might of been in an overall weak NFC. But getting into the second season still isn’t out of the realm of reasonable, but some things have to break the Packers way.

*Win out — The Packers have to take care of your own business first and that means getting to 8-8.

Considering the team is 1-5 at Lambeau Field it would be considered a stretch, but then again the Packers haven’t gotten a chance to play the Detroit Lions (Sunday) and Minnesota Vikings (Dec. 21) at home yet. The season finale against a team with nothing to gain in Chicago may give the Packers a chance to complete the trifecta. If they do so, it takes the Vikings completely out of contention.

*Eagles OR Giants lose out — The second biggest hurdle to overcome is getting Philly (7-6) or New York (7-6) to lose out. The two teams play this weekend in New York, so one team will have one loss. Looking ahead, it’s better (easier for the Packers) if the Giants lose out. New York plays New Orleans and at Washington while Philadelphia plays at Dallas and hosts Atlanta.

*Two losses for Atlanta — The Falcons (7-6) host Dallas and Carolina before traveling to Philadelphia for the season finale. Two of those have to be losses. This is why it’s a better bet that the Giants lose out. The Packers will likely need Philly to beat Atlanta, dropping the Falcons to 8-8.

*One loss for Carolina — The Panthers (6-7) host Pittsburgh before traveling to Atlanta and New Orleans. One loss gets them at best 8-8.

*One loss for St. Louis — The Rams (5-8) own the head-to-head, so it’s best to get them to at best 7-9. Games at Oakland, hosting Washington and at Minnesota remaining.

If the five items above happen, it would leave 3- or 4-way tie at 8-8 with the Falcons, Panthers, Packers and Vikings. In this case you sort out the division first — leaving the Packers to match up with the Falcons.

Green Bay would claim the final spot based on a better record (7-5) against the NFC. The Falcons would be 6-6.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know its a long shot for us to get into the playoffs, but nothing is impossible if we play well the rest of our games..

Thanks for posting the article californiacheez!!!!!!

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are not making the post season. But that is OK with me. Did we all expect the Pack to make the playoffs with all the changes this year and going 4-12 last season? I didnt. I was optomistic, but that is a tough thing to do with a whole new coaching staff and such a young team. I think we made some decent strides this year and we should be proud of the way a lot of the Packer players have done this season.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice Post. I kind of was curious of the things that need to happen for GB to make the playoffs. It won’t happen but if they can get to 7 wins that’s something to build off of IMO.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:rotflmao: That's classic. With the NFC being so lousy again makes you think we're missing out by having our down years now. Next year there's no reason why we can't be in it if we start well which we havn't done for a few years now. I know it's a bad attitude but it doesn't bother me as much not making the playoffs when I don't see us competeing anyway. Some years like the year we lucked out in Philly I remember thinking if we just sneak in we could do something. I don't really feel that this year but just to be a playoff team would be cool

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers should have beat Buffalo and had the Rams for part of the game.

And no post-season team would give up their home turf as easily as the Pack have.

Teams that don't beat who they should beat will not make it to the post-season (kind of Maddenesque).

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say we had a good chance in Seattle too, I consider the "roughing the passer" call to have ended our season.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mike_donnelly said:
I say we had a good chance in Seattle too, I consider the "roughing the passer" call to have ended our season.

Ah yes, I forgot about that. There have been some bad calls this season against the Packers.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is true but I will say that usually Championship teams never have to talk about this play or that play or a bad call. It was a bad call but if it's enough to be the difference I think we got a way to go yet. BUT next year...

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After wins and losses Conference Record is the main thing.

Head to head matters only with Philthydelphia, MN, Rams, and SF.

After today it looks a little brighter. The Packer game will be done before the others play this week. They must win.

1. You want New Orleans to win against the Giants.
2. You want Carolina to win at Atlanta.
3. You want Philthydelphia to lose at the Cowboys.

It is very possible they are into it until the weekend. That is okay.

St. Louis has to lose to either Washington this upcoming weekend or to Minnesota on the final game. It is best they lose to the Redskins as the vikings are terribly unreliable.

Members online

Latest posts