The Ripkowski thread

D

Deleted member 6794

If u truely watched u would see the player behind him was holding his other arm so he couldn't put two hands on the ball or he would have. Not his fault just outplayed by defenders.

While it was a smart play by the defender Ripkowski has to take care of the ball. He was a positive surprise carrying the ball this season but there´s no doubt that fumble is on him.

Was Kuhn cut by NO?

No, Kuhn will become a free agent in March though if the Saints don´t re-sign him.

At first I did not like Hyde but he reminded me of what Woodson use to do on routes and he was missed

Hyde isn´t anywhere as talented than Woodson was. I would like the Packers to bring him back for a reasonable deal though.

Packers were tied at #18 (with 5 other teams) with 8 fumble recoveries. K.C. led the league with 15.

Even worse the Packers ranked only 27th in forced fumbles with 10. The Cardinals led the league with 25.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree but it was still his fault he fumbled. People think being stripped takes all liability away from the runner.
before the first contact Rip saw before he made impact he should have had 2 hands on the ball then, hes a FB not a shifty RB trust it was his fault and mistakes happen.
There could be any number of reasons why he didn't have two hands on the ball.
But I think one will go farther and faster with one hand free for balance.
Also, from watching the video again, it looks like he has one hand free for almost a stiff arm.
And as another poster pointed out, his free arm was getting held back by a defender.

I'm a Packers fan but I'm not so much of a homer where I will not give credit where it is due.
I will not call this fumble a mistake. I will call it a good defensive move and that it wasn't any of our mistakes that cost us the game. We were just outplayed and outmatched by a better opponent who showed they wanted it more than we did.

mongoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw that too. Have no clue what he means when it comes to Allison. He is on a rookie contract through 2018, why "resign" him?

Probably legal issues with the drug incident which the packers have to decide whether they will drop him or not. Wait that incident happened in college right?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Probably legal issues with the drug incident which the packers have to decide whether they will drop him or not. Wait that incident happened in college right?

No, charges were filed this Dec. from a Sept incident.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...kers-allison-faces-marijuana-charge/96399446/

http://www.tmz.com/2017/01/22/packers-geronimo-allison-weed-joints-photos/

I just think Aaron was showing his confidence in Geronimo by saying what he said, renegotiating Allison's contract would totally be unnecessary at this point.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rip carries the ball well, high and tight, but once that many bodies are on you, you have to get both hands on that ball. he wasn't reckless, but a little careless? Carrying piles is nice, but you gotta know ball security is job #1.

mongoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rip carries the ball well, high and tight, but once that many bodies are on you, you have to get both hands on that ball. he wasn't reckless, but a little careless? Carrying piles is nice, but you gotta know ball security is job #1.

It could be argued that he was in the process of trying to cover the ball with his other hand and succeeded if the defender came couple of seconds later to try to strip theball. But he did have it secured and tucked in the right spot.
guy is a beast and not afraid of ramming into defenders.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt it was the turning point of the game: a likely 14 point swing. Once it waent 17-0 there was pretty much over.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There could be any number of reasons why he didn't have two hands on the ball.
But I think one will go farther and faster with one hand free for balance.
Also, from watching the video again, it looks like he has one hand free for almost a stiff arm.
And as another poster pointed out, his free arm was getting held back by a defender.

I'm a Packers fan but I'm not so much of a homer where I will not give credit where it is due.
I will not call this fumble a mistake. I will call it a good defensive move and that it wasn't any of our mistakes that cost us the game. We were just outplayed and outmatched by a better opponent who showed they wanted it more than we did.
Look at the film before he made the second contact he had time to bottle the ball up with 2 hands. So you telling me with a straight face that RIP had nothing to do with the fumbling of the football? Every turnover is a mistake you know why? because turn-overs can lead to points and momentum for the other team. You do know people lose games and win games off of turn-overs fumbles and interceptions? The defense did what they had to do by stripping him nothing taking away from the D. It was a forgivable mistake/fumble because he dont fumble often and he was trying to make something happen.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
especially after he had gotten the first down... the extra yards were great and fun to watch, but as you say ball security is number 1

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If nothing else, the Packers should use this film for their own defense to teach them something few of them seem to do. Peppers learned how to go after a strip fumble and you can see that with almost every tackle the guy makes. Whoever is running the defense next year, needs to play this over and over with the speech "Do this and you might win us a game". While I don't promote tackling the ball, I do feel our defense needs to do a much better job at ripping and punching whenever they see a good opportunity.

Packers were tied at #18 (with 5 other teams) with 8 fumble recoveries. K.C. led the league with 15.

Is it surprising where Peppers played before he came here? The Bears were know for forcing fumbles for a long time. Unfortunately, trying for the strip sometimes means you miss the tackle and we need help in that area as well. Still, more aggression would be nice.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Is it surprising where Peppers played before he came here? The Bears were know for forcing fumbles for a long time. Unfortunately, trying for the strip sometimes means you miss the tackle and we need help in that area as well. Still, more aggression would be nice.
Yes, I think some defenses stress it and others may talk about it but don't necessarily work on it. Its seems to me Peppers had mastered that skill long before coming to Green Bay and you really don't see a lot of Packer defenders doing anything but hoping to get their man down to the ground. If you watch Peppers coming in to sack a QB, he usually has one arm going for the tackle and the other arm/hand in pursuit of the ball. I hope the move rubbed off on some of the Packers, I will really miss that part of Peppers game.

I agree with you though, making the tackle is priority #1. In the case of the Falcons and Ripkowski, I don't know the names of the Falcon players involved, but Rip was obviously going down (2 guys on him) and the guy who reached in and ripped the ball out did it 100 % with a purpose, total momentum changing, smart play!

D

Deleted member 6794

I just think Aaron was showing his confidence in Geronimo by saying what he said, renegotiating Allison's contract would totally be unnecessary at this point.

Allison is set to make the league minimum over the next two seasons therefore there isn't any reason for the Packers to renegotiate his contract.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that the Packers are handing the ball to the fb says a lot. They may be alone in the league in actually having the fb touch the ball much. While I like the surprise effect of sometimes giving the ball to the fb on a quick run up the middle, it would be nice to use a RB that can make somebody miss and has more capacity for a big play. It just shows that MM didn't have full confidence in Ty and michel.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if he scores and doesn't fumble, Atlanta probably goes down and scores a TD anyways.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. I don't think the fumble was as much of a game changer as some people think. I think the Falcons scoring just before half is what really took the wind out of the Packer's sails

Staff online

Latest posts