The problem of franchising Flynn.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hottest topic in town. Here's another link to an article about the unlikelihood of Flynn being franchised.
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/02%2F25%2F12_Packers_unlikely_to_tag_Flynn/479?feed=2
in it they point out what I said earlier in this thread.
tagging Flynn would violate the spirit of the franchise tag. Tagging a player with the sole intention of trading him, while not technically against league rules, is frowned upon.
“(The Packers) don’t do business that way,” one NFL source said at the NFL Scouting Combine.

plus a number of other reasons. he tagged and traded Joey Galoway back in 01 but that was an entirely different set of circumstances.
It may be frowned upon by the NFL, but it is nearly impossible to enforce. TT can always say, he signed Flynn to be a backup, hoped he would sign a long term deal, couldn't reach an agreement so he traded him. Even if the trade occurs 30 minutes into free agency, nobody can prove this was not the intent. TT will not discuss a 'trade' with other GMs, but I'm sure he is asking other GMs, 'so what do you think Flynn is worth?'. He knows and the other GM knows they are talking about a trade, but legally? Its just two buddies discussing a player on Ted's team.

A scout said the Packers don't do business that way, not Thompson. Thompson has done it before, so we know he isn't morally opposed to it. I'm not sure why the reported didn't mention that. Its almost like some of our beat writers have some kind of agenda.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hottest topic in town. Here's another link to an article about the unlikelihood of Flynn being franchised.
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/02%2F25%2F12_Packers_unlikely_to_tag_Flynn/479?feed=2
tagging Flynn would violate the spirit of the franchise tag. Tagging a player with the sole intention of trading him, while not technically against league rules, is frowned upon.
“(The Packers) don’t do business that way,” one NFL source said at the NFL Scouting Combine.

plus a number of other reasons. he tagged and traded Joey Galoway back in 01 but that was an entirely different set of circumstances.

Corey williams? or whatever his name was that was tagged and traded to the Browns

Also the packers have been reportedly in talks with houstons center so its not like the Packers are above the tampering.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The most telling quote from this article is as follows... when asked if the Corey Williams "tag and trade" was an example of when a tagged player would be better as a commodity than a player on the roster (which is basically asking if he sees "tag and trade" as being acceptable within league rules) Thompson said, “It was just the way it worked out in that particular situation. In Seattle, we had a franchise guy (Galloway) that we wound up trading. But I think if you tender someone, it’s a tender. It’s not, ‘Let’s trade you.”

Unless he said that to be deceptive (which I don't see the need to be in this situation), this response by TT pretty much tells you he's not going to tag Flynn. Oh well.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
It may be frowned upon by the NFL, but it is nearly impossible to enforce. TT can always say, he signed Flynn to be a backup, hoped he would sign a long term deal, couldn't reach an agreement so he traded him. Even if the trade occurs 30 minutes into free agency, nobody can prove this was not the intent. TT will not discuss a 'trade' with other GMs, but I'm sure he is asking other GMs, 'so what do you think Flynn is worth?'. He knows and the other GM knows they are talking about a trade, but legally? Its just two buddies discussing a player on Ted's team.

A scout said the Packers don't do business that way, not Thompson. Thompson has done it before, so we know he isn't morally opposed to it. I'm not sure why the reported didn't mention that. Its almost like some of our beat writers have some kind of agenda.
7 more days and we will know once and for all. Make you a bet, if they franchise him, put a 20 in a slot on me and if it doesn't win I promise I will pay you the 20:D

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The difference between when TT tagged and traded Galloway and Williams, is that they were starters and very impactful players. If he wound up keeping them on the roster for the full year it would have been perfectly fine and acceptable. If he tags Flynn it's for the sole purpose of trading him...which he has said he thinks isn't in the spirit of the rule (“... I think if you tender someone, it’s a tender. It’s not, ‘Let’s trade you.’”

It sucks, but I think we have to come to the realization that this isn't happening. As I said before, anything is possible here. But it doesn't look good.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Last week I heard Jason Wilde say he talked with some at the combine who were convinced the Packers weren’t going to tag Flynn and some who were convinced they were. So there you have it: At this point I’m certain they’ll either tag him or they won’t. ;)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. It's not going to happen though. It's not the way Ted works. We will most likely not tag anybody, but if we do, it will be Scott Wells.
Tagging wells would be more shocking to me than not tagging Flynn.

Tagging Flynn is a done deal already decided several weeks ago. (Seeing how others have posted it won't happen with certainty, I will go out on a limb with my beliefs)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think if the Packers were going to do it, they'd have announced it already; not wait until zero-hour.
TT is just making those who are so sure about him start gloating, then he will swoop in with 2 mins left and franchise Flynn. :)

Quote this. If I'm wrong, feel free to bring this up every time I make a point in the future "yeah, you're the idiot who was sure that TT was going to franchise Flynn"

30 minutes to go!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember he is going to be working with alot of draft picks this year. Could be he is saving his bullets for the draft, which we all know is his prefered modus operandi.
The Packers have only their own draft pick in each round plus an extra seventh rounder. They may get a compensatory pick at the end of round three but that pick can't be traded.

Members online

Latest posts