1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The problem of franchising Flynn.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Raptorman, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +826
    So I keep seeing people say, "Franchise Flynn and trade him for a 1 or 2, or more draft picks". Well there seems to be a misunderstanding of exactly what can and cannot happen with the franchise tag. So let's take a look at it.

Say the Packer put the non-exclusive franchise tag on Flynn. What does this mean. It means if Flynn signs the offer the Packers have to pay him somewhere around $14 million. Now we all know they don't want to do that. So they want to trade him. This is were the problem comes in. If he signs the offer right away not a problem. The Packers can trade him and get what they can. However, if he signs and the Packers trade him, there is no provision for a minimum number of draft picks. If Flynn does not sign, the Packers cannot trade him. You can't trade a player that is not under contract.

Now, under the non-exclusive tag, Flynn can go out and attempt to make a deal with another team of his choosing, but that team would have to be willing to give up the draft picks per the CBA. Which is currently 2 first round picks. Now, I don't see any team giving up 2 first rounders for Flynn, so that team would more than likely negotiate with the Packers on draft picks. And if the Packer don't move on the picks, (there is nothing in the CBA that prevents the possibility of negotiating different draft picks.) the team pulls it's offer from Flynn and the Packers are stuck with him. Now, the other part is this. Flynn does not have to sign the tender until sometime later.(haven't found he exact date yet.) So the Packers are left holding the bag unable to do anything unless he signs.

Now, the exclusive rights franchise tag means that Flynn can only sign with the Packers. And again, unless he signs it, they can do nothing. If he does sign, they can negotiate a contract and trade him. However, that $14 million, is guaranteed unless he negotiates a new contract. Again, he would have to sign in order to be traded. And whichever team they traded him to would have to agree with the contract terms. And again, no draft picks mandated by the CBA.

So while tagging Flynn and trading him sounds great, there is a certain amount of what ifs that would have to be taken into consideration by the Packers before they do it.

2. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +606
    I guarantee we won't tag Flynn. We will most likely just wave goodbye to him. Harrell will be Rodgers new backup for a long time.

3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,966
    If you have a deal in place that Flynn and his agent like, with a willing party that doesnt want to lose out in an open market it can work. Most likely though he is gone with only a comp pick for us.

• Like Like x 2
  4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,920
    I dont see them tagging him either

5. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +791
    Ted will check the temperature on the market and make a decision. I think Flynn knows that he may be out of the league had he not played for the Pack and developed his skills under this great staff. I think he and his agent will play ball with the Packers front office and see what team is the best fit and then do a sign and trade to get the Pack either a player or 2nd day draft pick.

6. JacobInFlorida

JacobInFlorida Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    I still say the tag goes to Finley. If Flynn were to get the tag it would only be because there was a deal worked out before hand. $14 million would make him the highest paid player on most teams including the Packers. A team will have to have a new contract worked out before making a trade and let's be honest, a team will have to take a huge risk by working out a deal plus giving up 2 first rounders to a guy who has 2 starts. Matt Cassel had a whole season of work to go off of when he had a similar circumstance. I don't see the open market for Matt Flynn comparing to what a team will have to do to get him from the Packers in a franchised situation.

7. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,150
    I see Finley being tagged long before Flynn. I think Flynn is off to get his own starting career going on some other team.

8. Croak

Ratings:
    +1,150
    Looks like the word is out that the Packers are trying to sign Finley to a long term deal. So it looks like someone else will be getting the tag. I still don't think it will be Flynn. Perhaps Wells will be the tag recipient.

9. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +641
    The Packers don't have to use the tag. I don't see them using it on Flynn, regardless. The risk is too great of being on the hook with a backup QB who will be making nearly twice as much as the starting QB. If they were going to trade him, it would've been last spring. They chose to hang onto an outstanding backup QB for insurance, which thankfully they did not need, and the consequence of that is letting him walk as a FA.

10. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +641
    The only way I see Flynn getting tagged is if the Packers feel confident, really really confident, that there are at least two teams out there that want to trade for him. That might provide enough of a safety net for the Packers to be assured that they won't get burned.

11. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    Flynn will not be tagged. Instead they are trying to work on a "long term deal" for Mr. I drop the ball when it matters the most, Jermichael Finley.

12. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +964
    TT will not Franchise Flynn. If he is going to franchise anyone if will be Finley but I don't see that happening either. I expect he will come to terms with Finley and Matthews this year for extensions maybe even Raji. Then He can go int FA if he needs knowing where he sits in the cap picture (like I know what I'm talking about)

13. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +964
    Remember last year when everyone was down on Jones for all the drops. He has done a pretty good job this year. Finley had his best year. Hang with the lad, He'll come around.

14. Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +156
    No chance, at the end of the day its a cut throat business, keyword being business.
    This isnt a I scratch your back you scratch mine sort of business.

15. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,678
    Exactly this.
    I just find it hard to fathom that NE can get something good in return for Matt Cassell, Philly for Kolb, but we can't utilize the same loophole to reap some reward for Flynn.

Everyone is mentioning Flynn being the 3rd best QB option for teams this off-season, behind Luck & RG3.
    He's got tremendous value at this point.
    Ted needs to capitalize on this rare opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Croak

Ratings:
    +1,150
    But to franchise him would cost 14 million against the cap. That's not gonna happen for a back up QB.

17. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,678
    Only if we keep him. We're not keeping him. He's off to Miami or Cleveland or Seattle.

18. Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +133
    I don't think there are many people saying the Packers are gonna franchise Flynn. I think TT is a great GM, but when it comes to stuff like this he is out of his element. This would involve lots of deal-making and behind the scenes type stuff, and in addition the Packers would lose the franchise tag for the year.

Too many moving parts for Ted IMO...this will never happen. They will get a comp pick for him, and hope Harrel makes strides between now and camp next year.

19. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    Reading this makes my head do this:

20. JacobInFlorida

JacobInFlorida Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    Well, Cassel had a whole season of work to go off of. Kolb had more playing time than Flynn as well and it wasn't a franchise tag situation. Flynn has had two really good starts against lower level defenses and most other playing time has been average at best.

I'm not saying Flynn doesn't have value at this point, but I don't believe it would be a failure by TT not franchising and trading.

21. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    Without losing any sleep over all the speculation, I'll just trust in Ted and wait and see what happens.

22. Croak

Ratings:
    +1,150
    But then they would have to pick up the 14 mil. Do you really think other teams are going to take that chance? Another item that doesn't bode well for Flynn. The Packers just signed another QB.

23. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +641
    And before someone says that the trading partner WOULDN'T have to pick up the $14M, yes they would. Even in a tag and trade, they'd have to trade for him under the stipulations of the tag. That tag is his contract. They can't sign him to a new contract until after the trade is complete.

24. Rodgers in the House

Rodgers in the House Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +109
    I see him as a Redskin.

25. The Drew

The Drew #packergang

Ratings:
    +484

Agree 100%