The problem of franchising Flynn.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So'oto can be good, he shows ability, and so does Walden. I think Walden was "helped" to be ineffective by the coaching staff to get rid of him due to off season problems.

Zombo just wasn't the same this year, but I truly believe that has a lot to do with no offseason. I'm willing to give some of those players another shot. Not all, but some.

I'm all for giving So'oto and Walden a shot, but as backups. I definately would like to see more talent at the outside linebacker position. Competition would be a very good thing.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That was my point, I just wasn’t sure that’s what AaronShockley was saying. Walden has no “special status” on the team, he was a street free agent pickup in 2010. If the coaching staff didn’t want him on the field, all they had to do is sit him. And if they really don’t like him, they can advise McCarthy and Thompson not to keep him. There is no reason for Thompson, or anyone else, to pressure Capers and/or his staff to start or play Walden.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's not like that. We needed the player, so Walden got time, but I don't think anybody on the Packers Staff was out to help a guy they probably cut in a few days.
BTW, when we talk about "they" we are mostly talking about Kevin Greene. Greene not helping Walden in any way he could makes no sense IMO. He and the rest of the coaching staff were trying to win another championship! Greene knows better than anyone the importance of the play of the ROLB. I'll bet Greene was all over him trying to get him to improve. There is absolutely no reason he wouldn't and every reason he would.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Erik Walden is what he is. He was a street free agent signed because of injuries. He did as well as he could, but he has limits. My dad always said "You can't turn shi^t into gold". Walden was asked to do too much. I don't think anybody purposely didn't help him, he just reached his limit as a player.

BOB KAMINSKI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:) TEDDY IS THINKING and WILL MAKE A TRADE LIKE LOMBARDI DID TO IMPROVE THE PACKERS BACK IN THE 60's. LOMBARDI TRADED FOR PLAYERS WHO COULD PLAY THE GAME and WANTED TO PLAY THE GAME. YOU JUST WATCH TEDDY, HE'S A VERY SMART G.M. MAN. LOOK WHAT HE HAS DONE SO FAR . HIS RECORDS SPEAKES FOR IT SELF. TEDDY WILL GET TOP TRADES and DOLLARS FOR QB FLYNN.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
:) TEDDY IS THINKING and WILL MAKE A TRADE LIKE LOMBARDI DID TO IMPROVE THE PACKERS BACK IN THE 60's. LOMBARDI TRADED FOR PLAYERS WHO COULD PLAY THE GAME and WANTED TO PLAY THE GAME. YOU JUST WATCH TEDDY, HE'S A VERY SMART G.M. MAN. LOOK WHAT HE HAS DONE SO FAR . HIS RECORDS SPEAKES FOR IT SELF. TEDDY WILL GET TOP TRADES and DOLLARS FOR QB FLYNN.

Was there a reason the word "and" was the only word typed in small-caps? Just wondering. :tdown:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another reason Teddy has to find a way to franchise Flynn and maximize the team's value:
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...-tough-decisions-with-brees-nicks-and-colston

top 100 unrestricted options, including a sensational six just in the top 25:
1. Drew Brees, QB, Saints. There's no Peyton Manning-like decision here. They need to re-sign him soon, because they need to free up the franchise tag to use on another key offensive cog.
2. Carl Nicks, G, Saints. The Saints broke the bank to lock up their other elite guard, Jahri Evans, and if a deal with Brees happens, they won't hesitate to designate Nicks their franchise player—or at least give him Evans-type money for one year.
3. Ray Rice, RB, Ravens. Rice's production as a runner and receiver is what makes Baltimore's offense tick. Joe Flacco's favorite safety valve will be back somehow, as Baltimore will be ready to tag him.
4. Matt Flynn, QB, Packers. All signs point to Aaron Rodgers' ace backup getting paid for a starting gig in '12, a la two other former No. 2 Matts, Schaub (Michael Vick) and Cassel (Tom Brady). Reuniting with his former offensive coordinator—Dolphins coach Joe Philbin—almost makes too much sense. He's not as splashy, however, for Miami, as trying to reel in Peyton Manning.
5. Mario Williams, DE, Texans. The fact that Houston's 3-4 defense still played at high level when he was on the shelf for the final 11 games (torn pectoral) should give pause to team officials before paying millions to retain the 2006 first overall pick. There would be plenty of teams, regardless of scheme, in hot pursuit.
6. Vincent Jackson, WR, Chargers. Every team that's in desperate need of a bona fide No. 1 receiver should be interested in what the 6-5 Jackson, likely gone from San Diego, can do for the entire offense with his ability to stretch the field and cause matchup issues in the red zone.
7. Marques Colston, WR, Saints. Colston is the less noisy version of Jackson. He may not have the same gamebreaking ability, but at 6-4, he's also a big target with better hands. He has proved to be especially clutch for Brees on third downs. It might be a challenge for New Orleans to pay its quarterback, him and Nicks.
8. Matt Forte, RB, Bears. Forte has made no secret he wants to be paid, and he was smart during the Pro Bowl to show teams that his knee isn't a issue. Chicago needs to keep the constant production of Forte.
9. Wes Welker, WR, Patriots. Don't expect one magnified missed connection with Brady to take away from his value as his go-to slot man. Welker deserves to get a lucrative deal, but may need to settle for a franchise tag.
10. Cliff Avril, DE, Lions. It's rare a 4-3 edge pass rusher of his caliber (a breakout 11 sacks in '11) hits the market, but Detroit may have not the salary-cap space to keep him on its strong line.
11. Carlos Rogers, CB, 49ers. Rogers took the one-year deal in San Francisco to prove he could be a top-notch corner, and didn't waste time in delivering a Pro Bowl season. The one concern in giving him a desired long-term extension is the fact he's 31. That could allow another team to splurge to take him away.
12. D'Qwell Jackson, ILB, Browns. He came back full force as an all-around playmaker just when it looked like an injury had derailed his career for good. Jackson likes the scheme and the team, so Cleveland needs to do the smart thing and at least franchise-tag him.
13. Jermichael Finley, TE, Packers. There's no question that Finley is part of the league's new breed of athletic, physical tight ends, but that doesn't help him if he can't catch the ball consistently. He's a candidate to be franchised—if they can do it at the price that's less than $6 million—but don't be surprised if Green Bay lets him walk.
14. Dwayne Bowe, WR, Chiefs. This free-agent class is loaded with big guys with big mitts, isn't it? Bowe's inconsistency is the reason he's behind the others. Still, looking at what Kansas City has, he is a good bet to be tagged.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We dont have the talent at OLB for anyone to take the other spot. Its not about guys being coached up. Its about not having the talent to begin with.

AaronShockley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We dont have the talent at OLB for anyone to take the other spot. Its not about guys being coached up. Its about not having the talent to begin with.
More than that we need talent at the D line. We were dominant with Pickett Raji and Jenkins. Jenkins left and took all the power off of that side. We need to get some help to that line to create more pressure, it will help the entire defense play better by just adding one piece.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

I agree with you, but I'm not sure the administration and coaching staff do. They kept repeating through the season that they liked who they had and that it was just about a need to emphasize proper technique and fundamentals.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you, but I'm not sure the administration and coaching staff do. They kept repeating through the season that they liked who they had and that it was just about a need to emphasize proper technique and fundamentals.

I think the coaches were saying that becauase they had to. Coaches typically don't badmouth their player in-season. I'm sure the coaches didn't want to say "our defense is bad because the players are garbage". It seems easier (and safer) to say stuff like: "We need to work on our angles." "We need to fix communication breakdowns."

It would be like when a GM says "so-and-so figures into our plans for the next five years"... Then that player is released or traded a few days after.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree. If there was other talented OLB's on the roster, CM3 wouldn't be double and triple teamed all game. Teams made it a point to put multiple guys on his side and stop him... It worked.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More than that we need talent at the D line. We were dominant with Pickett Raji and Jenkins. Jenkins left and took all the power off of that side. We need to get some help to that line to create more pressure, it will help the entire defense play better by just adding one piece.

It wasn't just Jenkins. Some players straight up regressed. Williams was a completely different player this year, maybe bc of injuries.

Raji was getting owned 1on1 and getting pushes around. Another player that took a step back.

Woodson took a step back bc of age.

AJ Hawk played as he always has, terribly. Several other defensive players took a small step back and some of the young inside linebackers did well this season, but overall it wasn't a season with much improvement on the defensive front.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely. They play as a unit, but it always starts with individual matchups. We consistently won those in 2010. We consistently lost them in 2011.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You both made me laugh.

I mean do any of us not believe the loss of Jenkins had negative impact on this defense?
No.
Even my mother and all her 7 sisters know this.

But they also all know that our other OLB besides CM3 sucked-*** too, and Tramon was toasted a lot, and that we missed Nick Collins a lot.

Plenty of factors but missing #77 & #36 were the top 2, without question.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
You both made me laugh.

I mean do any of us not believe the loss of Jenkins had negative impact on this defense?
No.
Even my mother and all her 7 sisters know this.

But they also all know that our other OLB besides CM3 sucked-*** too, and Tramon was toasted a lot, and that we missed Nick Collins a lot.

Plenty of factors but missing #77 & #36 were the top 2, without question.

Off season lovers' quarrel...:inlove:

Members online

Latest posts