The problem of franchising Flynn.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember he is going to be working with alot of draft picks this year. Could be he is saving his bullets for the draft, which we all know is his prefered modus operandi.

Some on here keep saying this...but the Packers only have their standard 7 draft picks (one per round) and an additional 7th rounder as a compensatory from the Jets.

They do not have the ammo to significantly trade up in this year's draft unless they give up future picks...which I can't see Ted doing.

This is going to be a pretty standard draft...who knows maybe he moves up in the mid-later rounds if he sees someone he likes. I'm thinking where we'll be picking in the 1st we're looking at ILB, CB, safety or an interior O lineman. The OLB's available at that point will have some question marks that might make it too much of a gamble.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some on here keep saying this...but the Packers only have their standard 7 draft picks (one per round) and an additional 7th rounder as a compensatory from the Jets.

They do not have the ammo to significantly trade up in this year's draft unless they give up future picks...which I can't see Ted doing.

This is going to be a pretty standard draft...who knows maybe he moves up in the mid-later rounds if he sees someone he likes. I'm thinking where we'll be picking in the 1st we're looking at ILB, CB, safety or an interior O lineman. The OLB's available at that point will have some question marks that might make it too much of a gamble.
The free agent compensatory picks have yet to be awarded. A website that is reasonably accurate has predicted 2 fourths (Jenkins and college) and 2 sevenths (Spitz and I forget who)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have only their own draft pick in each round plus an extra seventh rounder. They may get a compensatory pick at the end of round three but that pick can't be traded.
We will get an extra comp pick for Jenkins and for Colledge. Offensive linemen count too.

Next year we will get another comp pick at the end of round 3 for Flynn, unless Teddy someone goes out and signs a FA or two of his own such as Adam Carriker or Manny Lawson, etc.

So we will be getting a comp pick at the end of round 3.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If he signs a huge contract with Miami I am going to be pissed because they could have done this.

You do that. You be pissed all you want. The fact is that if they franchised him, by March 13 they would have had to make cap space to accommodate his potential $14.4M contract WHETHER HE SIGNED THE TENDER OR NOT. That would involve cutting players or restructuring other contracts or whatever else to get under the cap. It simply would have been a stupid thing to do. So go ahead and be pissed. If you think through the risks involved, eventually you'll come to your senses.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are two circumstance fans need to realize that were at play with the decision not to use the tag on Matt Flynn:

1) The Packers needed a firm trade partner before they'd be willing to slap the franchise tag on Matt Flynn. It's too risky otherwise, to pay a backup more guaranteed money than the starter is getting. Not to mention the level of cap space that still needed to be cleared first. Miami would have been the likely spot for Flynn except they're wanting to take a serious run at Peyton Manning. It would be way too risky for us to use the tag and then wait to see if they land Manning or not.

2) According to PFT the tag numbers still aren't set in stone as they're tied to a percentage of the salary cap, which also still isn't known yet. Apparently the NFL and NFLPA are looking at ways to try and increase the salary cap. This means all those players who received tags could wind up making MORE guaranteed money than originally thought.

Put those two factors together and you have a very risky proposition for a GM who's usually risk averse.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are only 2 things in my mind possibly at play here:

1. TT is straight-by-the-book and did not want to bend the rules by doing a tag and trade. This would mean that when this occured with Cory Williams, TT was sincere in keeping him, only later decided to trade to Cleveland. I believe this is the reason we did not tag Flynn. TT's comments that we don't do that I thought was entirely for show. We tag him to be our backup QB, but by golly, Seattle came along with an offer we couldn't refuse.

2. Flynn is not as valuable as I thought. I figured he would bring a high 2nd and maybe a late first in value. I find it hard to believe that we were only offered a 3rd in 'wink wink nudge nudge' negotiations. I don't think TT takes the risk for only a 3rd round pick - especially when next year is going to be a deeper draft. This also may mean that TT is not going to sign any free agents. Anyone shocked at that statement?

I doubt having salary cap space had much to do with the decision. Its a very likely bet they will redo Clifton's and Woodson's contracts - and perhaps even cut Clifton anyway.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will get an extra comp pick for Jenkins and for Colledge. Offensive linemen count too.

Next year we will get another comp pick at the end of round 3 for Flynn, unless Teddy someone goes out and signs a FA or two of his own such as Adam Carriker or Manny Lawson, etc.

So we will be getting a comp pick at the end of round 3.

I think people might be over-valuing the compensation for Jenkins and Colledge. I could easily see the Packers get something like 5th or 6th round pick for each guy.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has probably been mentioned or brought up... but:

The Packers could've traded Matt Flynn. However, I don't believe that Flynn is under any obligation to sign past 2012 if he were traded. Nobody is trading a first-round or second-round pick for Flynn unless he agrees to a long-term contract with them immediately after the trade is completed.

Basically, I'm saying that there's the risk with Flynn playing hardball by refusing to sign anything past that one-year contract that could pay him $14 million or more.

We know that TT is a master with finding gems in lower rounds (or undrafted free agents). He probably didn't think the risk of a $14-million hit on the cap would've been worth it when he might (I've heard it's not guaranteed) get a third-round compensatory pick by just letting him leave.

Or maybe there's some other technicality with franchise tags that I'm not aware of that forces him to sign past 2012...don't see how though.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On another note, www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/finleyearly22212-140081103.html

According to JSOnline back when Finley was re-signed, the Packers had $10 million to $13 million after they signed Finley. They could supposedly save more than $10 million by releasing Clifton and Driver. That would mean 20-23 million. So I'm not sure how much that available cap space had to deal with this decision. It sounds like they could've fit him under if they had a trade partner ready for March 13.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Like many of you, I’m disappointed they didn’t tag Flynn. I think it was worth the risk. But I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that Thompson and staff know more about it than I do. BTW, I agree it wasn't the cap space, that space was easily cleared but other points made no doubt played a part.

Regarding trading up, in 2010 Thompson went into the draft with the Packers 7 picks and a compensation pick (#169) at the end of the 5th round. My guess is he saw Morgan Burnett falling well beyond were the Packers had him valued and he traded the Packers 3rd (#86) and 4th (#122) for the Eagles 3rd rounder (#71) to grab him. That wasn’t as **** as the trade up for Matthews – just 15 spots in the third round – but IMO it gives us a clue about Thompson trading up in drafts. I don’t think Thompson goes into any draft “knowing” he’s going to trade up. It’s only as he and his staff watch how the Packers’ board corresponds to what is happening during the draft that he decides to explore a trade up. Burnett’s value and availability at that time in the draft were just too much to pass up so they went looking for a trade partner and found one a couple of spots ahead of the Bears. I don’t think the Matthews’ trade was planned ahead either. By that I mean they didn’t go into that draft determined to do “anything” to get Matthews. If Matthews would have been picked at 15 or 18 for example, acquiring him would have been too expensive on draft day.

So I doubt we’ll see a dramatic trade-up ala Mathews but that would be my guess every draft. However, Thompson will have more ammunition in the upcoming draft than he did in 2010, so a trade up in the second or third round is certainly possible. But here’s my point: I don’t think Thompson thinks about this as many of us fans do. Even after the draft starts I’ll bet Thompson has no idea if a trade will happen or not, or even if he’ll attempt one. It all depends upon how the Packers’ board corresponds to what is happening during the draft. And of course it takes two to tango so we actually don’t know how many times Thompson has attempted to trade up. Or trade down, for that matter.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saving room to sign Mario Williams! (just day dreaming :))

Williams price tag will probably be exorbitant, in the range of 10 mill per year. IMO it would be too much of a stretch for the Packers.

The thing I am now wondering about is Wells. Word is the Packers want to pay him 5 mil a year. Wells and his agent want 7.5 mill a year. Again, IMO 7.5 mill for a multi-year contract for Wells is too much. If we were going to pay that kind of money for an OL, I'd much prefer to spend it on a multi-year contract for Carl Nicks, who is now available.

Chris Myers is also 1 year younger and is generally considered the better OC over Wells. He is also a FA and the Packers have met with him. Possibly to send a message to Wells, or, who knows? They could let Wells go and sign Myers to a decent multi-year deal?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yep. We aren't loaded with draft picks. Like I posted you can't trade any compensatory picks and they are coming at the end of round three or later. His second rounder comes at the end of round two and that also doesn't give him much ammo to move up. I think he's going to stand with the picks he has now. He may move around in the later rounds.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted is probably not going to sign anyone else's free agents and I am fine with that as it is how he generally rolls. He will draft a ton of guys but what is going to **** me off is when he marches the exact same crap out there on defense while the rookies get the entire year to "learn the system". I could see a new safety getting some reps but I fear it will be another season of Hawk, Walden, CJ Wilson and Neal.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
PLEASE!!! Not another defensive year like last year. I am still hoarse from all the yelling at them through the TV.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
what is going to **** me off is when he marches the exact same crap out there on defense while the rookies get the entire year to "learn the system".

First of all, you should chill a little. You seem to get pissed off a lot when the Packers don't do exactly what you want them to do. J/K

But for real, there's no precedent for what you're assuming will happen. Raji, Matthews and Hawk all started as rookies. Shields was immediately put at nickle back as a rookie. Bishop contributed a great deal as a rookie. So did Zombo. So any claim that the Packers won't use the rookies they acquire and that the defense won't change is simply without merit.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
GreenBlood. It is tough to "defend" last year's defense. The worst in the NFL or at least close. How many games would we have lost it we didn't have the turnovers. Offense A+ Defense D- IMO.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem on the horizon now is that unless TT goes after a quality FA, that we're basically going to get the standard mantra that's been repeated since the loss on Jan 15: we need to work on fundamentals like blocking and tackling, that was our biggest problem...do that along with getting a few draft picks and the Packers will be all shiny and good again.

I am one who begs to differ. It's more than just poor tackling and a couple of holes to fill in the draft. This defense will not see much improvement at all if there aren't some serious personnel changes happening plus off-season work, which many include a serious look at the defense strategy. I do not see where we have players in development who are ready to step in. DJ Smith? Neal? Maybe. Green at RB? maybe. And the draft? I hope we get some impact players. Will we get anyone who can make a real impact right away? Maybe.

I'm concerned that there is too much false confidence between coach and GM out there.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem on the horizon now is that unless TT goes after a quality FA, that we're basically going to get the standard mantra that's been repeated since the loss on Jan 15: we need to work on fundamentals like blocking and tackling, that was our biggest problem...do that along with getting a few draft picks and the Packers will be all shiny and good again.

I am one who begs to differ. It's more than just poor tackling and a couple of holes to fill in the draft. This defense will not see much improvement at all if there aren't some serious personnel changes happening plus off-season work, which many include a serious look at the defense strategy. I do not see where we have players in development who are ready to step in. DJ Smith? Neal? Maybe. Green at RB? maybe. And the draft? I hope we get some impact players. Will we get anyone who can make a real impact right away? Maybe.

I'm concerned that there is too much false confidence between coach and GM out there.
Why? This is nearly the same defense, personnel wise, as the one in 2010 that was top 5.

Here are a few things to keep in mind: Loss of Collins, injury to Neal, injury to Tramon, slow start for Shields; all contributed to our suck *** defense. These guys should all be back.

Each year there are a few players who step to the plate and emerge as players for us. Two years ago was anyone really counting on Bishop to become a force? How about Burnett? He stepped in after being injured in 2010 to show a lot of promise at safety.

If Neal stays healthy, if CJ Wilson steps up his game, if Collins comes back; if Zombo/Walden/Jones busts their *** this offseason and comes in and lights it up; etc. There are a bunch of pieces already here that may step up and take this defense back to 2010. Throw into the equation a draft pick or two and we maybe set. Fortunately, there should be BPA DE available at the end of the first and a good OLB at the 2nd round pick. But you know? If TT goes a completely different direction, I am more excited about the prospect he drafts. To ignore need and take a pretty good DE and instead go with a RB or something - well, TT must think very highly of that player. And TT has an amazing record on draft picks.

And if your response is 'sign Mario Williams' also provide a list of all the players we can't resign because Mario just ate up $53M over the next 5 years. Just choose at least 2 from the list (Raji, CM3, Tramon, Rodgers, Jennings, Bulaga).

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this the same defense as 2010? Jenkins is gone, Pickett is increasing in age and slowed noticeably last year, Collins has a serious neck injury and may never play again, and Woodson is aging and has slowed as well.

Where is the improvement going to come from on the current roster? Hawk regresses with each snap. Zombo, Walden and Jones? Really? These guys have had ample opportunity and have failed. Walden got benched, Zombo is limited athletically and injuries may have taken a toll on him. Jones has also been injured and even McCarthy believes he can only be a part time answer at LB. Neal looks like a mistake and Wynn and Wilson are ordinary. I believe Burnett and Williams should play better next season but better play is needed in too many areas. This isn't 2010!!! More talent is needed on defense.

I think Thompson needs to go outside his blueprint and acquire help via free agency this off season and it is critical that he strike paydirt in the draft to help our defense.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this the same defense as 2010? Jenkins is gone, Pickett is increasing in age and slowed noticeably last year, Collins has a serious neck injury and may never play again, and Woodson is aging and has slowed as well.

Where is the improvement going to come from on the current roster? Hawk regresses with each snap. Zombo, Walden and Jones? Really? These guys have had ample opportunity and have failed. Walden got benched, Zombo is limited athletically and injuries may have taken a toll on him. Jones has also been injured and even McCarthy believes he can only be a part time answer at LB. Neal looks like a mistake and Wynn and Wilson are ordinary. I believe Burnett and Williams should play better next season but better play is needed in too many areas. This isn't 2010!!! More talent is needed on defense.

I think Thompson needs to go outside his blueprint and acquire help via free agency this off season and it is critical that he strike paydirt in the draft to help our defense.
Was Jenkins good? Did we miss him? He was cut from the team after his 2nd year. Packers later resigned him and he stuck. Have you given up on Neal, Wilson and Wynn already? Remember they are also short one offseason due to the lockout. Hey, Jenkins improved and made the team in his 3rd year, why can't Neal, Wilson, or Wynn?

The last thing we need to start doing is a major knee jerk reactionary moves.

I think some are of the impression that winning a super bowl is as easy a simply making the decision. In reality it is a very difficult process of building talent, teamwork, and chemistry. Tossing money at big name free agents temporarily increases your talent but at the possible expense of chemistry and teamwork. Long term you lose talent because you can't sign your own emerging stars.

But please, lets think about this. Packers are the most succeasful team over the last two years and the most talented. No this last season didn't end as we would have wanted, but let's not change the NFLs most successful front office's MO just as a knee jerk. There are 30 teams that would trade with us in a heart beat. And one team full of delusional lucky Giants fans.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like many of you, I’m disappointed they didn’t tag Flynn. I think it was worth the risk. But I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that Thompson and staff know more about it than I do.
Surely he knows more about those details than you do.
But that doesn't mean he's right and you're wrong.
Thompson makes errors too. Everyone does.

This from the great Walter the other day:
Packers re-sign TE Jermichael Finley (2 years, $15M): A+ Grade
Jermichael Finley has yet to live up to expectations. He kills his team with mistakes despite being so physically gifted. He had 14 drops last year compared to only 55 receptions. Packer fans understandably are constantly frustrated with him.

Having said that, this is a great re-signing. Not only is Green Bay not dedicating lots of long-term money to him; it gives itself the chance to franchise Matt Flynn. With Flynn franchised, it'll allow Ted Thompson to secure at least one high draft pick for him. If the Eagles received a second-round pick and a starting cornerback for Kevin Kolb, the Packers can get just as much for their young quarterback.
Sadly, I guess not.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

These are not knee-jerk reactions, they are legitimate concerns about a defense that was the worst in the NFL last year. If you think that someone in the Packers' coaching staff is going to wave his magic wand and ******, the defense will be back to its 2010 form, then good luck to you. 13times Champs had some very legitimate points about Woodson, Collins, and no...our roster right now to fill spots at ROLB and DE are not promising at all. We hope Williams and Shields will bounce back and play better next year, but to rely on that is a recipe for having the worst defense next year yet again.

What I'm saying is that: TT and MM have to be pro-active in the personnel department . No, signing Mario Williams is not the answer. I agree about the restrictions his price-tag would put on us. But right now, a good off-season emphasizing fundamentals and the potential draft picks we have do not make for a significant upgrade to our defense...and our defense sucks.

Members online

Latest posts