The path for Aaron Rodgers to become the GOAT

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While there's no doubt Thompson and Ball have done a great job managing the cap I often wonder about the overall talent level on the roster aside of the quarterback position.

I think many of us have wondered that very thing. We already know the answer on the defensive side of the ball and I think we sort of get a glimpse of "life without AR" on the offensive side when he is either having a bad day or is injured.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think many of us have wondered that very thing. We already know the answer on the defensive side of the ball and I think we sort of get a glimpse of "life without AR" on the offensive side when he is either having a bad day or is injured.
It's like I've said repeatedly, specifically last season and after the NFCCG, that roster is void of overall above average or good talent top to bottom. AR hides a lot of the weaknesses that this team possesses. I think that's pretty clear to anyone that takes the time to examine the roster.

I do feel like the overall talent on this team is better than last year though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked the "when you have practice at 10, and a **** shoot scheduled at 12" meme

D

Deleted member 6794

It's like I've said repeatedly, specifically last season and after the NFCCG, that roster is void of overall above average or good talent top to bottom. AR hides a lot of the weaknesses that this team possesses. I think that's pretty clear to anyone that takes the time to examine the roster.

I do feel like the overall talent on this team is better than last year though.

The Packers starters definitely have a lot of talent entering this season. Unfortunately there's reason to question the quality of the backups at multiple positions though.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, wait. It's pretty hard to deny that Tom Brady, the QB who was at the helm of a team that has won 5 SBs, is not the GOAT. To choose anybody over him means stretching the meaning of GOAT until it's unrecognisable. It's one thing to say that Rodgers is the most talented and perhaps the most complete QB in the NFL and probably has been for the last 5 seasons; it's another to say he's the GOAT. He's not and he won't be unless he and the Packers win more champsionships, simply put.

If Rodgers would need to match Brady's 5 rings with two Super Bowl lost Super Bowls.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The argument of the GOAT always comes down to rings and I can understand that but it doesn't paint the entire picture. I maintain if AR is given a half way decent D, the rings will follow. Brady has been the beneficiary of some really solid defenses and capitalized. I remain hopeful we can put a worthy defense on the field sooner rather than later thereby allowing AR a few more shots at more hardware. From a talent standpoint, I believe AR stands in a class all his own.

You Can be a great quarterback and have no rings, Fran Tarkington, Jim Kelly and Y A Tittle come to mind. Being Greatest of all time you both overall great play AND Championships. No doubt if Packers Defense was better Rodgers would have more than one ring by now. He doesn't. To be GOAT its hard say Brady isn't at this time. I will be honest stand him, but truth is the truth. He could have 7 rings if Eli Manning and the NY Giants were not his Jessica Simpson. Yes Brady will always have the taint of cheating. Still has 5 rings. Alot has to do people around him.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's very true, and I agree. Like I said, Brady's the greatest. I think some feel as if he's gotten lucky (tuck rule, Pete Carroll taking the ball out of Lynch's hands at the goal line, Atlanta completely wetting the bed, etc) But at the end of the day, you can't argue with his results.

And having Bill Belichick, who has provided Tom Brady with a top 10 defense almost every single season, contributes to his frequency in the big game.

So does the weakness of the other teams in AFC East.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers would need to match Brady's 5 rings with two Super Bowl lost Super Bowls.

I don't think Rodgers has to match Brady's # of rings to be considered GOAT, but he does have to win a couple more SBs. Also, it's how he wins them. If Rodgers plays like an MVP in winning those SBs, then he for sure will be at the top sharing it with Brady, no matter what New England fans want to believe.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's like I've said repeatedly, specifically last season and after the NFCCG, that roster is void of overall above average or good talent top to bottom. AR hides a lot of the weaknesses that this team possesses.
Every time I mention a sports commentator TV/radio host type, someone spews a lot of discontent like "Why are you mentioning that idiot?". But I can't help but notice that this is exactly what Colin Cowherd's take on the Packers is: That the roster is average, but Aaron Rodgers masks a lot of weaknesses. Personally, I think that is pretty hard to disagree with. I actually agree with a lot of what he says, and I also think Greg Jennings is turning into a good commentator as well (to mention someone else that people seem to have a problem with).

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You Can be a great quarterback and have no rings, Fran Tarkington, Jim Kelly and Y A Tittle come to mind. Being Greatest of all time you both overall great play AND Championships. No doubt if Packers Defense was better Rodgers would have more than one ring by now. He doesn't. To be GOAT its hard say Brady isn't at this time. I will be honest stand him, but truth is the truth. He could have 7 rings if Eli Manning and the NY Giants were not his Jessica Simpson. Yes Brady will always have the taint of cheating. Still has 5 rings. Alot has to do people around him.
Brady has certainly had some slight misfortune, but he's also had plenty of fortune with the tuck rule game, Pete Carroll taking the ball out Lynch's hands at the goal line, and Atlanta completely wetting the bed after being up 4 scores.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of Colin Cowherd, he had a feature on his show today where he described each team by three words. For Green Bay, he picked "Please Stop Relaxing", which I thought was kind of appropriate. In other words, they appear to have a pretty good roster this year, no more excuses, let's get past the NFC Championship Game.

If they make the playoffs this year, that would be nine straight years, which will tie the record. New England will also likely have a share of it. That's an impressive streak, but it would be nice to see them do more with it. In their defense, the NFC appears to be tougher than the AFC though.

Cheese Head

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion and I am a homer I feel Rodgers has more talent than Brady, but he don't have the rings. If the Packers can get him 2 rings there could be a lot of talk between Brady and Rodgers being the GOAT. If he gets 3 I think it is a slam dunk.

D

Deleted member 6794

If they make the playoffs this year, that would be nine straight years, which will tie the record. New England will also likely have a share of it. That's an impressive streak, but it would be nice to see them do more with it. In their defense, the NFC appears to be tougher than the AFC though.

While it's definitely the overall perception that it's easier to win the AFC, teams out of the conference have a combined .525 winning percentage against NFC opponents since 2001.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's definitely the overall perception that it's easier to win the AFC, teams out of the conference have a combined .525 winning percentage against NFC opponents since 2001.
Interesting, although that doesn't necessarily mean it is easier to win the NFC. It seems like there have been more top tier teams in the NFC that you have to go through to get to the Super Bowl, and I would argue that those NFC teams are tougher. Atlanta last year, Seattle, Green Bay of course, Dallas is coming on, San Francisco was very good for a few years there, New Orleans, Arizona, Carolina, the Giants get hot in the playoffs some years. It seems like there is always a serious roadblock in the way.

I'm not saying there aren't good teams in the AFC, but I think the road to the Super Bowl has been more difficult in the NFC for the last decade or so.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Interesting, although that doesn't necessarily mean it is easier to win the NFC. It seems like there have been more top tier teams in the NFC that you have to go through to get to the Super Bowl, and I would argue that those NFC teams are tougher. Atlanta last year, Seattle, Green Bay of course, Dallas is coming on, San Francisco was very good for a few years there, New Orleans, Arizona, Carolina, the Giants get hot in the playoffs some years. It seems like there is always a serious roadblock in the way.

I'm not saying there aren't good teams in the AFC, but I think the road to the Super Bowl has been more difficult in the NFC for the last decade or so.
In some ways, you could relate the AFC to the Eastern Conference of the NBA, and the NFC to the Western Conference of the NBA.

I mean, the Patriots practically are awarded with a 2nd bye week more years than not in the divisional round. The Houston Texans this past year? Makes me sick.

Members online

Latest posts