The Packers have signed G Justin McCray, who has spent time with the Tennessee Titans.

D

Deleted member 6794

Our new RG?

McCray hasn't played in a single game since going undrafted three years ago. Therefore I don't believe he's the leading candidate to replace Lang as the starter at right guard.

His twin brother, Jordan, spent time with the Packers during the 2014 offseason.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCray, Barclay, Murphy and Patrick would be fine battling for a back up position. Handing a starting job to one of them in front of Rodgers is scary. What has any of them done to think they deserve to be a starter? Throwing bodies at a position in the hopes of landing a starter doesn't make sense if none of them are talented enough.

D

Deleted member 6794

McCray, Barclay, Murphy and Patrick would be fine battling for a back up position. Handing a starting job to one of them in front of Rodgers is scary. What has any of them done to think they deserve to be a starter? Throwing bodies at a position in the hopes of landing a starter doesn't make sense if none of them are talented enough.

I expect McCray to be a camp body only in all likelihood.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My honest "guess" is

They feel that they can just plug anyone in OR... eventually put Bulaga there

Linsley, Bahktiari, and Bulaga are all very very good and Taylor isn't bad

They probably think that they can just put anyone in there as an athlete and hope he meshes... if he needs help on protection schemes, blocks, etc then they probably beleieve he will get it from Bulaga or Linsley as those two will be right next to him.

I would obviously prefer if we still had Sitton and Lang... but as a pass first team that focuses on quick, timing precision throws... I don't think they value having an "All Pro" type of player at G

Reaction score
No disrespect to McCray he's probably a good kid but this is the most non-news news story this week. Not to mention he was a "Patriot"
in college so he's already got 1 strike against him :sneaky:

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Book your Super Bowl plans now!!!

I do like the signing though, since it adds some more experienced camp bodies to choose from in a position that needs a starter and depth. He mainly played at right guard (23 starts) at UCF, but also had 9 starts at right Tackle, so he may add some flexibility to the line depth.

D

Deleted member 6794

I do like the signing though, since it adds some more experienced camp bodies to choose from in a position that needs a starter and depth. He mainly played at right guard (23 starts) at UCF, but also had 9 starts at right Tackle, so he may add some flexibility to the line depth.

McCray not playing a single snap in the NFL for three seasons since going undrafted in 2014 doesn't get me too excited about the signing though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe that the same article where McCarthy said that Bulaga and Spriggs will stay at tackle, indicated that Kyle Murphy may be tried out at guard. Expect to see these guys all compete with a first or second round draft pick for the guard position.

http://rssfeeds.packersnews.com/~/2...arthy-No-plans-to-move-Bulaga-Spriggs-inside/

I wonder why a lot of posters believe the Packers will select a guard in the first or second round as Thompson has never selected a player for that position before the fourth during his tenure.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder why a lot of posters believe the Packers will select a guard in the first or second round as Thompson has never selected a player for that position before the fourth during his tenure.

Do you think they'd consider it if Lamp is there when they pick?

Sky King

Reaction score
Thompson has a long history of drafting guards in the mid rounds and later. He also lets them leave immediately after they've developed well enough to become Pro Bowl-type talents. Like you, I'm mystified that folks may actually hope or even predict that Thompson will change his tune during this draft season, especially with the D being more needy across the board.

From both historical and philosophical perspectives that guard from Kentucky is a lot less likely to be drafted by TT than by any another GM. If Thompson were to do so it may cause me to eventually become a believer in alien abductions.

Members online

Latest posts