The Packers - Committed to their own

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m blinded huh? Lol

you’re so dug in on your own words you can’t ever see anything else anybody else says in these threads, ever.

I’m fully aware of the score when it comes to finding good qbs an how hard it is. and i've given my opinion on the pick 100 times over.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you have these conversations with yourself? There hasn’t been a single poster on here that has taken the position you just stated.

Did I misread all the posters that defended the Love pick? Whew, that's actually good to know because I was really starting to doubt the sanity of some ppl here.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I misread all the posters that defended the Love pick? Whew, that's actually good to know because I was really starting to doubt the sanity of some ppl here.
if that's what you got from then, then yes, you misread them. I think you'd have trouble finding 1 that was CERTAIN Love was going to be great in 3 years, let alone a bunch of them.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Did I misread all the posters that defended the Love pick?

There is a difference though of defending the pick itself and the rationale behind it VS what you said "The same way all the supporters of the Love pick are CERTAIN Love is worth waiting 3-4 years for while already having the best QB ever on the team."

I really haven't read or seen people insisting that Love is a CERTAINty. However, I have read a lot of people talk about the logic behind Gute picking him. Pretty much the same logic that TT selected Rodgers. Doesn't mean I think it will turn out the same, but nobody can for certain say that it won't either.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if that's what you got from then, then yes, you misread them. I think you'd have trouble finding 1 that was CERTAIN Love was going to be great in 3 years, let alone a bunch of them.

If you draft him in the 1st round on a team that was one game from the Super Bowl, then you BETTER be certain.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a difference though of defending the pick itself and the rationale behind it VS what you said "The same way all the supporters of the Love pick are CERTAIN Love is worth waiting 3-4 years for while already having the best QB ever on the team."

I really haven't read or seen people insisting that Love is a CERTAINty. However, I have read a lot of people talk about the logic behind Gute picking him. Pretty much the same logic that TT selected Rodgers. Doesn't mean I think it will turn out the same, but nobody can for certain say that it won't either.

He drafted a QB that CANNOT help a team that was one game from the Super Bowl. If he's not certain that Love is going to be elite, then it was just flat out a terrible pick.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you draft him in the 1st round on a team that was one game from the Super Bowl, then you BETTER be certain.
for starters, I didn't draft him. 2nd you were talking about posters being Certain, in this forum.

I think it's obvious the Packers think Love is going to be good. as for the posters on this forum, as far as I can tell most are certain of nothing other than they hope all our picks end up being good ones.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He drafted a QB that CANNOT help a team that was one game from the Super Bowl. If he's not certain that Love is going to be elite, then it was just flat out a terrible pick.

Who is certain of anyone being elite? Were you certain Rodgers would be? Because there were plenty of GM's that weren't.

Gute has drafted quite a few players in all of his drafts that weren't ready to help in there first year or 2, so not sure why people want to pin that designation on Love. TT did the same, its called building for the future. Look back at all the Packer first round picks in the last 20 or so years, let me know how many were instant impact players.

Again, I wasn't happy about the Love pick at the time either, but to say that picking someone else instantly helps us to the Super Bowl is stretching the dot connection a bit.

D

Deleted member 6794

However, I have read a lot of people talk about the logic behind Gute picking him. Pretty much the same logic that TT selected Rodgers.

There was a completely different logoc behind Thompson selecting Rodgers in the first round of the 2005 draft than Gutekunst trading up to pick Love last year.

Gute has drafted quite a few players in all of his drafts that weren't ready to help in there first year or 2, so not sure why people want to pin that designation on Love. TT did the same, its called building for the future. Look back at all the Packer first round picks in the last 20 or so years, let me know how many were instant impact players.

Look back at the Packers first round picks over the past 20 years and tell me how many of them weren't even active for a single game while being healthy all season?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Some ( only 2 I could assume your talking to) posters here insinuate all posters feel the same and lump them together

dont matter who they are, as they are on ignore

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Look back at the Packers first round picks over the past 20 years and tell me how many of them weren't even active for a single game while being healthy all season?
I think now we're splitting hairs, but if you read my comment again, I was talking about all draft picks. As far as Love not being active, that has been talked about and beaten to death, so I'm going to leave it be .

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
FWIW, you literally mentioned Packers first round picks over the last 20 years in your previous post.

Right, if you only read the second part of my post and not the first, you got me there. My bad for not connecting the 2 thoughts with the world "Also".....Look back.....

Who is certain of anyone being elite? Were you certain Rodgers would be? Because there were plenty of GM's that weren't.

Again, I wasn't happy about the Love pick at the time either, but to say that picking someone else instantly helps us to the Super Bowl is stretching the dot connection a bit.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right, if you only read the second part of my post and not the first, you got me there. My bad for not connecting the 2 thoughts with the world "Also".....Look back.....

In my opinion it doesn't make sense to compare Love to day two or three picks though as the Packers used a first rounder to select him.

I would have been fine with spending the fourth rounder used to trade up for Love on a quarterback but it didn't make much sense to select one at #26.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In my opinion it doesn't make sense to compare Love to day two or three picks though as the Packers used a first rounder to select him.

I would have been fine with spending the fourth rounder used to trade up for Love on a quarterback but it didn't make much sense to select one at #26.

It doesn't make sense to me that you are using this as some type of measuring stick on Love either. If he was say an OLB, DB or RB in a non covid season, with normal practices and preseason games, and without the NFL MPV taking every meaningful snap from center, I would understand your concerns.

Finally, Boyle is gone and thus Love is the defacto #2 QB, without taking any snaps in the NFL, that should please you?

D

Deleted member 6794

It doesn't make sense to me that you are using this as some type of measuring stick on Love either. If he was say an OLB, DB or RB in a non covid season, with normal practices and preseason games, and without the NFL MPV taking every meaningful snap from center, I would understand your concerns.

I'm not using it as a measuring stick for Love by any means but as evidence that it was a mistake to select a quarterback in the first round of last year's draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not using it as a measuring stick for Love by any means but as evidence that it was a mistake to select a quarterback in the first round of last year's draft.

Same evidence you used for 3 years while Rodgers sat on the bench behind Favre? That worked out OK right?

D

Deleted member 6794

Same evidence you used for 3 years while Rodgers sat on the bench behind Favre? That worked out OK right?

Yes, that worked out great. It's mind-boggling how many of you use it as evidence that it was a smart idea to trade up for Love last year as well while completely ignoring that most first round quarterbacks struggle to develop into an above average starter at the pro level.

In addition the Packers found themselves in a completely different situation in 2005 than they did last year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes, that worked out great. It's mind-boggling how many of you use it as evidence that it was a smart idea to trade up for Love last year as well while completely ignoring that most first round quarterbacks struggle to develop into an above average starter at the pro level.

In addition the Packers found themselves in a completely different situation in 2005 than they did last year.

That Love pick really seems to bother you a lot? It's been almost a year and I'm over it. In the last 25 years, the Packers have seen 2 QB's going from potentially wasted picks/long shots (in some peoples eyes) to HOF QB's. As have other teams in the NFL. Will lightenting in a bottle strike 3 times in a row for the Packers with Love? I have no clue if it will, have never seen Love take an NFL snap. I already know your answer, but as a Packer fan, I sure hope he proves you wrong and bothers you for another 20 years. ;)

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

again, was there even a single poster that was jumping up and down cheering so excited by how smart Gute was to trade up for Love? let alone "many of you"? Seriously. The closest thing I've every seen to that is about 1000 miles away from that conclusion when some have tried to see what the thought process might have been. pretty much everyone, wanted someone else,but some of you see "many" that wanted Love? I don't get it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
again, was there even a single poster that was jumping up and down cheering so excited by how smart Gute was to trade up for Love? let alone "many of you"? Seriously. The closest thing I've every seen to that is about 1000 miles away from that conclusion when some have tried to see what the thought process might have been. pretty much everyone, wanted someone else,but some of you see "many" that wanted Love? I don't get it.

^^^ x 1,000,000

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Like Mondio said, I don't recall anyone saying it was a smart idea to trade up for Love. I don't even know if anyone has posted that they liked the pick. All I remember seeing is lots of people saying that they understand why it may have been done and that in their minds it kind of made sense when looked at it from that perspective

Others are certain that the only reason it was done is because Gute is determined to move on from Rodgers as soon as possible and they refuse to consider any other perspective.

I don't have no idea what the driving force was for Gute to draft Love. All I know for sure is that he thought Love had the potential to develop into a very good or even better QB and that if he waited he might lose the chance to draft him so he moved up to get him. Whether that was a smart move or a stupid one remains to be seen.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like Mondio said, I don't recall anyone saying it was a smart idea to trade up for Love. I don't even know if anyone has posted that they liked the pick. All I remember seeing is lots of people saying that they understand why it may have been done and that in their minds it kind of made sense when looked at it from that perspective

Others are certain that the only reason it was done is because Gute is determined to move on from Rodgers as soon as possible and they refuse to consider any other perspective.

I don't have no idea what the driving force was for Gute to draft Love. All I know for sure is that he thought Love had the potential to develop into a very good or even better QB and that if he waited he might lose the chance to so he moved up to get him. Whether that was a smart move or a stupid one remains to be seen.
Good summary. Overall I've liked Gluten's personnel moves. Last year at this time I doubt many of us would have predicted an MVP year for Rodgers and he proved everyone wrong, maybe even Gluten. As for Love, well again it was a year ago and before Rodgers magnificent season. If Gluten thinks Rodgers can keep close to that level of performance, Rodgers will be in GB for another 2 or 3 years, Love will be the backup. If Love does replace Rodgers at some point, my guess is it will be for a lot less than $35 mil/year. We should hope Gluten was right in his assessment of Love, and we'll find out a lot more this summer.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Gute sucks for picking Love.

Gute saw a talent couldnt pass up because rodgers has slipped SOME in last 3 years.

Thats the chad cliffton note version

D

Deleted member 6794

That Love pick really seems to bother you a lot? It's been almost a year and I'm over it. In the last 25 years, the Packers have seen 2 QB's going from potentially wasted picks/long shots (in some peoples eyes) to HOF QB's. As have other teams in the NFL. Will lightenting in a bottle strike 3 times in a row for the Packers with Love? I have no clue if it will, have never seen Love take an NFL snap. I already know your answer, but as a Packer fan, I sure hope he proves you wrong and bothers you for another 20 years. ;)

You're right, it still bothers me the Packers selected a quarterback in the first round of last year's draft. It should you as well considering the team came within some plays going their way of winning the Super Bowl. There's a decent chance Gutekunst using the first rounder on a player who could actually have had an impact in his rookie campaign might have made a difference in the NFCCG.

I want to be abundantly clear that this isn't meant as a knock on Love by any means. I don't know if he works out at the pro level at all and for sure hope he turns into the next HOF starting QB for the Packers. I just believe it wasn't the right time to select a QB in the first round.

Here's a link to a list of quarterbacks drafted in the first round over the last 25 years.

https://stathead.com/tiny/4ZyC9

So tell me how likely is it that a first round QB ends up a HOFer?

I don't have no idea what the driving force was for Gute to draft Love. All I know for sure is that he thought Love had the potential to develop into a very good or even better QB and that if he waited he might lose the chance to draft him so he moved up to get him. Whether that was a smart move or a stupid one remains to be seen.

Oh come on, guys, try reading between the lines only once. What do you think a posters wants to imply when mentioning how great the transition from Favre to Rodgers worked out while completely ignoring the fact that in most cases it hasn't worked out that way?

Last year at this time I doubt many of us would have predicted an MVP year for Rodgers and he proved everyone wrong, maybe even Gluten. If Gluten thinks Rodgers can keep close to that level of performance, Rodgers will be in GB for another 2 or 3 years, Love will be the backup.

There's absolutely no doubt Gutekunst made a mistake evaluating Rodgers. If Love ends up being the backup for #12 for four seasons before moving on to another team it was a wasted pick.

Members online

Latest posts