The Packers - Committed to their own

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm posting this from my phone and I don't know how to post a link but according to an article by Nick Shook on NFL.com any restructure of Rodgers contract would require cooperation from Rodgers. I can only take this to mean the Packers can not simply shift money without Rodgers' approval as some here as said. I'm
not saying anything one way or the other but If that is the case then maybe its not all on the Packers.

Was it this article? Not super clear what Rodgers has a say in or not, but it's a definite possibility that it isn't just a 1 sided decision.

https://www.nfl.com/news/aaron-rodgers-still-sees-future-with-packers-as-beautiful-mystery

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the article. Somewhere in there it says they would need his cooperation. Not sure if that is accurate though. As has been discussed accuracy is not a high priority in the media anymore.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was it this article? Not super clear what Rodgers has a say in or not, but it's a definite possibility that it isn't just a 1 sided decision.

https://www.nfl.com/news/aaron-rodgers-still-sees-future-with-packers-as-beautiful-mystery

Could be as simple as the FO wanting to make a bigger change than just changing salary into bonus money. I do agree with Wimm though--seems odd they wouldn't make the conversion. Unless they have some larger plan that would some how be impacted by that change. (Like a real extension)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Could be as simple as the FO wanting to make a bigger change than just changing salary into bonus money. I do agree with Wimm though--seems odd they wouldn't make the conversion. Unless they have some larger plan that would some how be impacted by that change. (Like a real extension)

I think until we actually hear news from the actual sources, it's a nothing burger. Just people speculating on a lot of things. I actually think Rodgers kind of enjoys the....for lack of better words...mystery and suspense of keeping it close to the vest, yet dropping little hints/clues just to make it fun (for him). Kind of a mind game to him. Much like he enjoys playing cat and mouse with defenses, it isn't shocking that he brings that into his pressers and any other media outlets he involves himself in.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why make a conversion if they don't have something specific in mind? It's not like it won't affect anything.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it goes without saying, that if Love never takes a snap as a Packer, he ends up being a bad pick and a bust. However, to attach "foolish and wasted" isn't really fair IMO. First, 3 years is a long time for things to change.

In all the years of following the Packers, I have declared certain draft picks busts. However, I normally don't say that until the players career in Green Bay is over or at least close to being over and that is far from the case for Love.

I haven't declared Love a bust by any means. That's why I said he should be considered a wasted pick IF he ends up leaving the Packers without having had an impact in four years.

How many of those calling the Love pick a waste would be *****ing if Rodgers had played like crap last year and we had no one to fall back on.

That didn't happen though. It's Gutekunst's job to make such evaluations to get it right.

Fire Gute. First he dropped the ball in evaluating that Fulgham guy and now Aaron Rodgers.

I'm sorry but that's just a stupid response.

Nobody has suggested Gutekunst should be fired but don't fool yourself ultimately he might be judged by how the situation with Rodgers and Love ends up working out in the long haul.

While its too soon to declare any 2020 pick a "bust", those who already want to declare Love as such, are not recognizing the fact that any player the Packers picked instead of Love might have been a bust. There are no sure things in the draft.

While that's true the Packers would at least have used their first rounder on a position the prospect could have theoretically had an impact in during his rookie season.

Once again, nobody is declaring Love a bust at this point.

Imagine the screaming had Gute traded way up to #21 to grab Jalen Reagor. I mean, the screaming after Reagor's not that successful rookie season.

Imagine the excitement if Gutekunst had selected Justin Jefferson with that pick though.

Why make a conversion if they don't have something specific in mind? It's not like it won't affect anything.

The Packers converting Rodgers' base salary and/or roster bonus doesn't have any negative affect on the salary cap. None.

Of course if they use the cap savings to sign a free agent that would result in less cap space being available in total.

D

Deleted member 6794

Funny is subjective, but it for sure was a joke.

It wasn't meant as a joke but to ridicule another poster.

I can see where it might not be be funny for someone who does think Gute dropped the ball in evaluating Fulgham and Rodgers.

Well, do you honestly believe Gutekunst would have spent a first rounder on a quarterback if he thought Rodgers was capable of putting together the second best season in NFL history based on passer rating???

I didn't think so either, so it should be pretty obvious he made a mistake evaluating the franchise quarterback.

While Fulgham is a non-story at this point he proved last season that he was definitely good enough to warrant a roster spot.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain that Gute knows exactly what type of QB Aaron Rodgers is. Calling it a mistake is silly.

and 2nd, Flugham also proved his level of play could likely see him nothing more than a bottom part of the roster guy either. keep him or cut him for someone else. Jarrett Boykin got people excited once too.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, do you honestly believe Gutekunst would have spent a first rounder on a quarterback if he thought Rodgers was capable of putting together the second best season in NFL history based on passer rating???
Possibly, if he was concerned that Rodgers would not play that way for the next 4 years.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm pretty certain that Gute knows exactly what type of QB Aaron Rodgers is. Calling it a mistake is silly.

I'm convinced Gutekunst didn't believe Rodgers was able to put up a season like in 2020 when he traded up to select Love in the first round of last year.

He was wrong about that though.

and 2nd, Flugham also proved his level of play could likely see him nothing more than a bottom part of the roster guy either. keep him or cut him for someone else. Jarrett Boykin got people excited once too.

Fulgham was one of the leading receivers in the league before things began to downspiral with the Eagles. Boykin never performed at that level.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fulgham had a couple game stretch where he seemed to be something and then nothing and looked pretty poor the few times I checked in on the Eagles.

I think Gute felt Rodgers was capable of that or he wouldn't have offered him the 100 million dollar guaranteed contract over the next 4 years (at time of signing). It's pretty obvious to me, they think pretty highly of him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Fulgham had a couple game stretch where he seemed to be something and then nothing and looked pretty poor the few times I checked in on the Eagles.

I think Gute felt Rodgers was capable of that or he wouldn't have offered him the 100 million dollar guaranteed contract over the next 4 years (at time of signing). It's pretty obvious to me, they think pretty highly of him.

As mentioned earlier Fulgham's production dropped significantly once the Eagles' season completely derailed at the some point in 2020. I'm curious how he will perform this year.

While Gutekunst definitely thought highly of Rodgers at the time he signed him to a massive extension I'm not convinced he was confident in #12 being able to perform at an elite level at the time of the draft last April anymore though.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Gutekunst definitely thought highly of Rodgers at the time he signed him to a massive extension I'm not convinced he was confident in #12 being able to perform at an elite level at the time of the draft last April anymore though.

I think this is pretty obviously true. Not sure how anyone with half a brain could believe that Gute still thought Rodgers was an elite QB while simultaneously drafting his replacement in the first freaking round. The alternative is that Gute was drunk as a skunk on draft night and was talking about his love for Michael Jordan and slurred it into "Jordan... Love that guy" over the phone.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is pretty obviously true. Not sure how anyone with half a brain could believe that Gute still thought Rodgers was an elite QB while simultaneously drafting his replacement in the first freaking round. The alternative is that Gute was drunk as a skunk on draft night and was talking about his love for Michael Jordan and slurred it into "Jordan... Love that guy" over the phone.
Oh, I can play this game.

I'm not sure how anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together would think a guy who has worked his way up from an unpaid student coach at a DIII school to trusted scout of a successful franchise and then a GM who has seen his team to back to back NFCCG’s isn't good at evaluating players.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not sure how anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together would think a guy who has worked his way up from an unpaid student coach at a DIII school to trusted scout of a successful franchise and then a GM who has seen his team to back to back NFCCG’s isn't good at evaluating players.

So wait, you're arguing that Gute was correct in his assessment that Rodgers was on the decline?!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The latest rumor out of left field. The Patriots and Packers are working on a trade for Aaron Rodgers.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Back to back NFCCGs that saw his teams allow 68 points combined. Let's start hanging up the banners!

And let's not be ridiculous and act like this team is a product of Gute's genius evaluating abilities.

Rodgers
Jones
Adams
Clark
Bakh
Linsley

Good on Gute for using free agency to sure up the defense a bit. But this is still Teddy's squad. And no, I'm not saying Gute is a bad GM. But let's pump the brakes on putting the guy on a pedestal already.

Staff online

Latest posts