1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The One That Got Away

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by El Guapo, May 5, 2015.

1. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,991
    There is so much discussion and analysis about our current picks. Quite frankly it gets old to me very quickly since we haven't seen these guys even in camp yet. So let's switch gears...

Who is the player that YOU were convinced was going to be a stud for the Packers, but turned into a giant dud?

My top pick is Aaron Rouse. I thought that he played well enough in college and I really liked the physicality that he brought to the Packers. Here is the final note that I have about him in my player tracker:
    CBS Scouting Report coming out of Virginia Tech:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/419948

2. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,794
    Abdul Hodge :) I thought he was the best linebacker we drafted that year. Nailed that one

3. Twiddlemylobes

Twiddlemylobes Fat Tuesday Orleans

Ratings:
    +519
    I'm gonna hafta say Graham Harrell.
    I have never seen a kid look so scared in the NFL as the look on his face when he played. I became frightened just watching him. Lol
    In seriousness, I think he battled nerves and he needed a game or two to build on his confidence but we never saw that kinda opportunity.

4. AKCheese

AKCheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +146
    I would have to say Hawk based on where he was drafted. Nice career and a good "packer", but picking at #5 you hoped he'd be more.

5. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +240
    Going back a few years I would say WR Derrick Mayes. For those of you that don't know
    Him, he was a 2nd round pick during Favre's prime years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +506

The obvious answer for me was Tony Mandarich but as I thought more about it I decided on Mayes as well simply because a skill position players just seem to be more of a let down when they flop. Javon Walker was also considered.

7. SoonerPack

SoonerPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +376
    I LOVED Hodge man! I've held that in for years and it feels great to get off my chest. I told all my boys how he was going to just kill it. Yeeeeaaaaahhhh, about that. Too funny and great idea for a thread Guapo!

8. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +186
    antuan edwards for me

9. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,922
    Worthy. I remember watching him against the Badgers and thinking wow he could play. I wanted the Packers to take him the first and then was pumped he made it to the second.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    same. Saw him in person against ohio state and liked what I saw. Also wanted him in the 1st round.

11. G0P4ckG0

G0P4ckG0 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +65
    Atari Bigby

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. RRyder

RRyder Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +505
    #1Brian Brohm- Thought he was one of the top QBs in his class and thought he was our future QB at the time as I wasnt enamored with Rodgers his first few preseaons. Good god I was wrong

#2 Abdul Hodge- Looked like a great pick comming in but rolled snake eyes on that one.

#3 MLB????- For the life of me I cant remember this middle LBs name and thats how forgetable he was but I loved him comming out. Someone help me out. MLB out of Oklahoma I think In I wanna say the 3rd round??? Wore #51 till we started useing him at FB here n there and switched him to #41 to save headaches on substituting. Damn why cant I remember his name? Lol

13. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +29
    Might be an unpopular choice, but Derek Sherrod.

I get he was injured, but you have to bounce back and play like a first rounder.

14. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,636
    I though Terrell Manning would be a steal in the fifth round in 2012. Maybe Eric Kendricks will be a bust after all taking my talent in evaluating ILBs into consideration.

I think you´re talking about Torrance Marshall.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,932
    Terrell Buckley

Buckley was a top 5 pick and looked like a deer in the headlights most of his time in Green Bay. I remember calling him "Chump Change" for whatever reason. Probably because he always seemed to be left behind by a WR after a long touchdown. The disappointment deepened when after his poor play in GB he was let go and he didn't play nearly as bad in Miami.

16. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,794
    Oh yeah, Worthy was another one and Torrence Marshall, i remember thinking we got a steal with him too. oops

17. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,040
    If you have been affected by any of the issues here.........contact us on WEDONTGIVEACRAP.COM

• Like Like x 1
  18. gemoran4

gemoran4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10
    I really didn't follow the draft super closely until around 2002 so I'll just list players who were drafted since that year (and who haven't been listed, so no Aaron Rouse, Jerel Worthy and Abdul Hodge).

Marques Anderson (S, 2nd round pick, 2002) - I really liked him when he came out (felt he'd be a good replacement for Leroy Butler alongside Sharper. I remember him having a decent rookie year, but his career fizzled quick

Tyrone Culver (S, 6th round pick, 2006) - Another safety I liked (especially when he started out looking promising in the preseason). He played a few years with the dolphins but never was anything more than a journeyman at best. And yes I'm noticing I'm not very good at evaluating safeties. I remember liking Taylor Mays when he came out (though I liked Eric Berry and Eric Thomas too) and while I didn't dislike Clinton-Dix I also kinda felt like he was underwhelming and just happened to be the best safety in a weak class.

Brandon Jackson (RB, 2nd round pick, 2007) - The Ahman Green era was over by this point (Green had one last hurrah in 2006 for us), and I was pretty stoked when we got Jackson. He seemed fast, shifty, had good vision, could catch out of the backfield and had the size and measurables to be a feature back. He even came out of the same college of Ahman Green, so I felt it was meant to be. After a few underwhelming years (he did have some moments as a 3rd down back) and the emergence of Ryan Grant we got rid of him.

I have more but I'll just leave it at that for now.

19. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,991
    Good call on Tyrone Culver. I can't say that I remember having high hopes for him, but I liked how he played initially in camp and thought he would go on to greatness.

Another one that I thought would be great was DT Steve Warren. The injury bug bit him but I liked his stout nature and motor. When Cullen Jenkins came along, he reminded me of Warren although it took Cullen quite a few years to develop into a starting caliber player.

20. Joe Nor Cal Packer

Joe Nor Cal Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +122
    Really there are two - Datone Jones and Nick Perry. All time though it has to be Tony Mandarich.

21. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,932
    Another good Poll would be most disappointing FA signing in Packer history. Mine would have to be Joe Johnson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,794
    Aside from injury, Perry looks about like I thought he would, strong and can hold a point or get push straight back. he hasn't been the most reliable guy though. I haven't given up on Jones yet. He's improving, this year will be telling if he takes a big step or flops. At least for me.

23. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,991
    I'd just lump all of Mike Sherman's FA signings into one group with an asterisk calling them collectively the worst FA moves in Packers history.

Of course, our worst trade was for John Hadl which was our version of the Vikings trade for Herschel Walker. Interesting side note: the Packers' trade for Hadl was ranked as the 4th worst in NFL history, behind of course the Vikings' trade for Walker (the worst of all)
    http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2013/12/12/worst-trades-nfl-history

24. RRyder

RRyder Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +505
    Hard to beat Johnson and the disapointed of realising later what we just spent all that money on.

How bout best FA signing not named White or Woodson??? Ill take Santana Dotson for 500 $ alex

25. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,932
    Santana was a good one. Peppers may end up on that list with White and Woodson if he still has a few years left in the tank. :)