The One That Got Away

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is so much discussion and analysis about our current picks. Quite frankly it gets old to me very quickly since we haven't seen these guys even in camp yet. So let's switch gears...

Who is the player that YOU were convinced was going to be a stud for the Packers, but turned into a giant dud?

My top pick is Aaron Rouse. I thought that he played well enough in college and I really liked the physicality that he brought to the Packers. Here is the final note that I have about him in my player tracker:
(2007-2009/10 starts) – He proved to be one of general manager Ted Thompson’s biggest mistakes. The third-round pick from Virginia Tech had great size (6-3, 225) and straight-line speed (4.4), but he was extremely stiff. That made breaking down as a tackler extremely difficult and staying with quick receivers a virtual impossibility. His play so exasperated the coaches in ’09 that he was released after only two games. Released 09/23/2009 after recording 9 tackles and 2 assists in the Cincinnati Bengals game.

CBS Scouting Report coming out of Virginia Tech:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/419948
Positives: Powerfully built with good upper body muscle definition, tight abdomen, big bubble, thick thighs and calves, long limbs and exceptional timed speed … More of an athlete than a football player, but shows good physicality in his play … Displays loose hips that allow him to smoothly transition out of his backpedal with no wasted motion … Has excellent leaping ability, getting a quick rise while making good body adjustments to get to the ball at its high point … Very aggressive tackler, but needs to play with better control, as he will get reckless and out-run the plays at times … Takes plays from the chalkboard to the playing field with no problems … Vocal leader of the secondary who does a nice job of making adjustments and calls … Responds well to hard coaching and plays with a line-backer's mentality … Shows good ball anticipation skills and has that explosive burst to get to the play in an instant …
Negatives: Bit high-cut and while he has good range and nimble feet to get through traffic, he gets too tall in his stance and fails to sink his pads, leaving himself exposed to cut blocks … Despite his alertness on the field, he will get over-aggressive in his play, deliver some illegal hits and get flagged for it (was actually fined $100 by the coaching staff for every flagrant foul after he had three in a two-game span against. Duke and Cincinnati in 2006) … Struggles to track the ball over his outside shoulder and is a bit of a liability in zone coverage, as he is hesitant at times to switch off his assignment and jump on the secondary receiver … Needs to keep his emotions in check, as he will get too reckless, out-run the play and then struggle to get back into the action … Needs to get comfortable in his ability to read keys, as he tends to question what he is seeing at times and the result is sometimes being late to get back into the action.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abdul Hodge :) I thought he was the best linebacker we drafted that year. Nailed that one

Reaction score
I'm gonna hafta say Graham Harrell.
I have never seen a kid look so scared in the NFL as the look on his face when he played. I became frightened just watching him. Lol
In seriousness, I think he battled nerves and he needed a game or two to build on his confidence but we never saw that kinda opportunity.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to say Hawk based on where he was drafted. Nice career and a good "packer", but picking at #5 you hoped he'd be more.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going back a few years I would say WR Derrick Mayes. For those of you that don't know
Him, he was a 2nd round pick during Favre's prime years.

The obvious answer for me was Tony Mandarich but as I thought more about it I decided on Mayes as well simply because a skill position players just seem to be more of a let down when they flop. Javon Walker was also considered.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worthy. I remember watching him against the Badgers and thinking wow he could play. I wanted the Packers to take him the first and then was pumped he made it to the second.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worthy. I remember watching him against the Badgers and thinking wow he could play. I wanted the Packers to take him the first and then was pumped he made it to the second.
same. Saw him in person against ohio state and liked what I saw. Also wanted him in the 1st round.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1Brian Brohm- Thought he was one of the top QBs in his class and thought he was our future QB at the time as I wasnt enamored with Rodgers his first few preseaons. Good god I was wrong

#2 Abdul Hodge- Looked like a great pick comming in but rolled snake eyes on that one.

#3 MLB????- For the life of me I cant remember this middle LBs name and thats how forgetable he was but I loved him comming out. Someone help me out. MLB out of Oklahoma I think In I wanna say the 3rd round??? Wore #51 till we started useing him at FB here n there and switched him to #41 to save headaches on substituting. Damn why cant I remember his name? Lol

Uncle Rico

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might be an unpopular choice, but Derek Sherrod.

I get he was injured, but you have to bounce back and play like a first rounder.

D

Deleted member 6794

I though Terrell Manning would be a steal in the fifth round in 2012. Maybe Eric Kendricks will be a bust after all taking my talent in evaluating ILBs into consideration.

#3 MLB????- For the life of me I cant remember this middle LBs name and thats how forgetable he was but I loved him comming out. Someone help me out. MLB out of Oklahoma I think In I wanna say the 3rd round??? Wore #51 till we started useing him at FB here n there and switched him to #41 to save headaches on substituting. Damn why cant I remember his name? Lol

I think you´re talking about Torrance Marshall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Terrell Buckley

Buckley was a top 5 pick and looked like a deer in the headlights most of his time in Green Bay. I remember calling him "Chump Change" for whatever reason. Probably because he always seemed to be left behind by a WR after a long touchdown. The disappointment deepened when after his poor play in GB he was let go and he didn't play nearly as bad in Miami.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Worthy was another one and Torrence Marshall, i remember thinking we got a steal with him too. oops

gemoran4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really didn't follow the draft super closely until around 2002 so I'll just list players who were drafted since that year (and who haven't been listed, so no Aaron Rouse, Jerel Worthy and Abdul Hodge).

Marques Anderson (S, 2nd round pick, 2002) - I really liked him when he came out (felt he'd be a good replacement for Leroy Butler alongside Sharper. I remember him having a decent rookie year, but his career fizzled quick

Tyrone Culver (S, 6th round pick, 2006) - Another safety I liked (especially when he started out looking promising in the preseason). He played a few years with the dolphins but never was anything more than a journeyman at best. And yes I'm noticing I'm not very good at evaluating safeties. I remember liking Taylor Mays when he came out (though I liked Eric Berry and Eric Thomas too) and while I didn't dislike Clinton-Dix I also kinda felt like he was underwhelming and just happened to be the best safety in a weak class.

Brandon Jackson (RB, 2nd round pick, 2007) - The Ahman Green era was over by this point (Green had one last hurrah in 2006 for us), and I was pretty stoked when we got Jackson. He seemed fast, shifty, had good vision, could catch out of the backfield and had the size and measurables to be a feature back. He even came out of the same college of Ahman Green, so I felt it was meant to be. After a few underwhelming years (he did have some moments as a 3rd down back) and the emergence of Ryan Grant we got rid of him.

I have more but I'll just leave it at that for now.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good call on Tyrone Culver. I can't say that I remember having high hopes for him, but I liked how he played initially in camp and thought he would go on to greatness.

Another one that I thought would be great was DT Steve Warren. The injury bug bit him but I liked his stout nature and motor. When Cullen Jenkins came along, he reminded me of Warren although it took Cullen quite a few years to develop into a starting caliber player.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is so much discussion and analysis about our current picks. Quite frankly it gets old to me very quickly since we haven't seen these guys even in camp yet. So let's switch gears...

Who is the player that YOU were convinced was going to be a stud for the Packers, but turned into a giant dud?

My top pick is Aaron Rouse. I thought that he played well enough in college and I really liked the physicality that he brought to the Packers. Here is the final note that I have about him in my player tracker:

CBS Scouting Report coming out of Virginia Tech:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/419948
Really there are two - Datone Jones and Nick Perry. All time though it has to be Tony Mandarich.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Another good Poll would be most disappointing FA signing in Packer history. Mine would have to be Joe Johnson.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside from injury, Perry looks about like I thought he would, strong and can hold a point or get push straight back. he hasn't been the most reliable guy though. I haven't given up on Jones yet. He's improving, this year will be telling if he takes a big step or flops. At least for me.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another good Poll would be most disappointing FA signing in Packer history. Mine would have to be Joe Johnson.
I'd just lump all of Mike Sherman's FA signings into one group with an asterisk calling them collectively the worst FA moves in Packers history.

Of course, our worst trade was for John Hadl which was our version of the Vikings trade for Herschel Walker. Interesting side note: the Packers' trade for Hadl was ranked as the 4th worst in NFL history, behind of course the Vikings' trade for Walker (the worst of all)
http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2013/12/12/worst-trades-nfl-history

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hard to beat Johnson and the disapointed of realising later what we just spent all that money on.

How bout best FA signing not named White or Woodson??? Ill take Santana Dotson for 500 $ alex

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How bout best FA signing not named White or Woodson??? Ill take Santana Dotson for 500 $ alex

Santana was a good one. Peppers may end up on that list with White and Woodson if he still has a few years left in the tank. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts