The "old" formula

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Lacy was coming along nice this season...but, maybe it's s blessing in disguise that he and Starks are out. When the Packers were considered one of the top offenses in the league it was without much of a running game. Remember those 4 and 5 wr sets? Jennings, Nelson, driver, and Jones?

I think this is the time to go back to that look and let Rodgers throw himself out of this funk. We all know is he can get hot in light up any secondary but he's gotta be better. The offensive line is as good as it's ever been with Rodgers under center. Time to go back to what made this offense explosive. The pass has always opened up the run for this group.

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought Lacy was coming along nice this season...but, maybe it's s blessing in disguise that he and Starks are out. When the Packers were considered o e of the top offenses in the league it was without much of a running game. Remember those 4 and 5 wr sets? Jennings, Nelson, driver, and Jones?

I think this is the time to go back to that look and let Rodgers throw himself out of this funk. We all know is he can get hot in light up any secondary but he's gotta be better. The offensive line is as good as it's ever been with Rodgers under center. Time to go back to what made this offense explosive. The pas has always opened up the run for this group.

I would like the Packers to use more different formation with a couple if them including four or five wide recivers but I'm not convinced the current passing game is capable of getting out of its slump with a decent rushing attack.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I thought Lacy was coming along nice this season...but, maybe it's s blessing in disguise that he and Starks are out. When the Packers were considered o e of the top offenses in the league it was without much of a running game. Remember those 4 and 5 wr sets? Jennings, Nelson, driver, and Jones?

I think this is the time to go back to that look and let Rodgers throw himself out of this funk. We all know is he can get hot in light up any secondary but he's gotta be better. The offensive line is as good as it's ever been with Rodgers under center. Time to go back to what made this offense explosive. The pas has always opened up the run for this group.

I think, as you said, tonight the Packers may be forced into operating that way. Only way the Packers rely on the running game tonight is if Davis somehow comes in and is an instant success, I don't expect that. I predict 2-3 early handoffs to Davis with limited yardage, hopefully no fumble and MM saying "OK AR, the game is on your arm tonight."

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like the Packers to use more different formation with a couple if them including four or five wide recivers but I'm not convinced the current passing game is capable of getting out of its slump with a decent rushing attack.

Look at it this way, you have two faster pass catching guys in the backfield now. With one being a wr. Dallas had no answer for him running routes out of the backfield.

D

Deleted member 6794

Look at it this way, you have two faster pass catching guys in the backfield now. With one being a wr. Dallas had no answer for him running routes out of the backfield.

I would like the Packers to throw the ball to either Davis, Montgomery or Cobb coming out of the backfield as well. That doesn't mean the downfield passing game will improve without a decent rushing attack.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As long as we get Lacy back relatively quickly and we can get additional production out of Davis/Starks the running game is the least of my worries. The only way the Packers get back in the hunt for being legit is AR returning to his old form in the passing game. How and when he does that remains to be seen.

D

Deleted member 6794

As long as we get Lacy back relatively quickly and we can get additional production out of Davis/Starks the running game is the least of my worries.

Agreed that with a healthy Lacy there's no reason to be concerned about the Packers running game. According to various reports it's possible he will be out for a couple of weeks though.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
West Coast offense time lol. Without Lacy prepare to see more of what we saw Sunday. Short completions can be an extension of the running game.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy is great for us, but sometimes a little change can cause a bit of rejuvenation within a team. Hoping Davis helps with that.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers used plenty of 4 and 5 wide sets, particularly in the second half of the Dallas game.

Going through the play-by- play, I come up with the following Rodgers stats for the second half:

16 - 20 for 80%
159 yds.
1 TD
1 INT
1 Fumble

Short passing was the running game proxy in Lacy's absence.

My pregame recommendations included using the 4 wide sets and throwing to Montgomery against Dallas' slowish LBs, which was used to good affect.

Considering the Packer punted only once in this game, the overall game plan was effective. This was yet another game with very good 3rd. down efficiency: 7 of 13.

The plan was derailed by (1) that ridiculous 0:33, 97 yard drive and (2) the 3 second half turnovers and the end zone misfire to Cobb.

A couple of additional random observations:

1) Nelson is not "back". He's functioning as a James Jones equivalent circa 2015, for good and ill, with the somewhat disturbing hands issues.

2) It's interesting to note that while the screen/swing/check-down passes to Lacy and particularly Starks leading up to this game were noticeably ill-timed and generally dismal, with Montgomery, the connections were spot on. This would indicate the problem was not with the QB.

3) I do believe Rodgers footwork on downfield passes out of a clean pocket is a bit off, where he throws too much off the back foot and is not driving the ball. By "driving" I don't mean velocity...he throws bullets off his back foot. But without the driving mechanics of shifting weight to the left foot, downfield accuracy suffers typically resulting in balls sailing. One wonders if the left knee that was operated on in the off season is still gimpy.

3) Speaking of Starks, who earlier in his career I had dubbed Mr. Knee Sprain, has now undergone a knee scoping. It would not surprise me if he was trying to play through an issue resulting in his uncharacteristic non-explosiveness.

4) Note the Davis punt return. He had blockers face-up on the lead coverage guys providing. This has been rarely seen the last 2 seasons. Let's see if that can be repeated.

5) Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8(d) states that unnecessary roughness includes:

"running or diving into, or throwing the body against or on a ball carrier who falls or slips to the ground untouched and makes no attempt to advance, before or after the ball is dead".

There is considerable leeway in the interpretation of this rule with respect to the defenders momentum. But these borderline incidents are beginning to be a habit. Start with Collins hit on Cobb in the Giants game. I expected a flag. So did Collins as he quickly scurried away from the play to avoid attribution. Cobb took another borderline shot against Dallas...Church went helmet to helmet with Cobb on his knees. Lee's high tackle on Adams' concussion play was a borderline "defenseless receiver". And it's lucky Lee took out Claiborne instead of contacting Adams on the earlier play because he was coming in high to the head.

In particular, the league should take a look at Mr. Sean Lee's film. With age and accumulated injuries he's slowed considerably. In compensation for diminished skills, the guy consistently tackles high, leads with his head and comes in for the borderline late hit...something of a head hunter, or as close to that as you can be in the gray area of the current rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sky King

Reaction score
Often it seems that whatever is working (other than medium to long throws) the HC and QB quickly abandon it as quickly as possible in favor of medium to long throws. Regurgitate: shotgun with empty backfield. I wish those two would be more satisfied to take what the defense is giving them rather than run plays that they seem to like best.

We all get it. They heavily favor the passing game regardless of what they say about the running game. But the rest of the league seems to have had that figured out since early last season. Pig-headedness in the land of cheeseheads.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Lacy was coming along nice this season...but, maybe it's s blessing in disguise that he and Starks are out. When the Packers were considered one of the top offenses in the league it was without much of a running game. Remember those 4 and 5 wr sets? Jennings, Nelson, driver, and Jones?

I think this is the time to go back to that look and let Rodgers throw himself out of this funk. We all know is he can get hot in light up any secondary but he's gotta be better. The offensive line is as good as it's ever been with Rodgers under center. Time to go back to what made this offense explosive. The pass has always opened up the run for this group.
Not to sound like a downer but Jennings,driver,Nelson,Finley and jones all new how to beat man 2 man. I don't think we have the tools and the consistency right now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
People have to think about it when we had all those guys Jordy was like the 4th 5th receiver. Jones should be receiver coach for the pack lol.

I have always liked the sound of "Player-coach" .....but you don't see that anymore.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Rodell looking at the positive side of things?

Is this a joke or something?

:unsure:

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodell looking at the positive side of things?

Is this a joke or something?

:unsure:

Man we flat out stink on offense good lord. Everyone knows that our WRs can't get open and the coaching staff isn't smart enough to design plays to get them open. We are going to hear and see this every week for the rest of the season smh. Hard to watch these guys.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Man we flat out stink on offense good lord. Everyone knows that our WRs can't get open and the coaching staff isn't smart enough to design plays to get them open. We are going to hear and see this every week for the rest of the season smh. Hard to watch these guys.

Whew! You're back. The world is right again.

:D

Latest posts