1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The most important stat in football

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Jun 24, 2011.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
  2. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    Are we the reigning champion? Nothing else really matters. It is why they keep score and play the game. The "most important stat" still is only a little better than 50-50.

3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    17 of the 25 won the SB. 20 of the 25 went to the SB.

Stats like this help when you want to know how to build a team and what to look for when your going against a good team. Why the dislike of stats?

4. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    56% over 71 years. I would agree this is a telling statistic, better than an anomaly or co-incidence. But the MOST important stat is the trophy in the showcase. My problem is slight and it is with the title, not the content.

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    The trophy isnt a stat. Neither is the ring.

And you cant use it over 71 years as the eras have changed. Passing and pass defense are more important than they ever were.

6. VBJunkie

VBJunkie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Agreed... the Packer won all but 2 of their Championships with running backs as their featured offense. Packer's Sweep anyone? Even in the Ice Bowl... the play that won the game was a QB sneak.

In contrast, SB XLV was won with only the tiniest smidgeon of running...

The last teams that I would consider running teams that won the SB would be the 2001 Ravens and the 1998 Broncos.

7. VBJunkie

VBJunkie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    The stat of 17 out of 25 is tainted as well. Two of those "didn't win the SB teams" were Vikings. To be accurate, they really should have thrown those out of the stat pool... because the Vikings are 100% guaranteed losers.

:viksux:

8. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Oh, so now QB rating matters? Why not All pro voting differential????

But in all seriousness, I was well aware that rating differential was key to success, but not to that extent, and I figured that in the modern era it was even more important.

Guess what? Back then, even when the run was the focus, the pass was even more important!

9. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Actually, it's not!

Back then, because teams focused so much on the run, the passer rating differential was even bigger, and the results were even more precise! Teams that had elite differential back then were only topped by teams that also were elite in this category (60 Browns by the 60 Eagles, 75 Vikings and the 75 Bengals by the 75 Steelers...)

Here's what the author says:

10. GWheels

GWheels Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +208
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. :wink2:

• Like Like x 1
  11. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    And the other 40% it almost works!

So it's a 100% certainty that it will almost work every time!

12. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    QB rating and passer rating differential are two different things, just like all pro and the pro bowl, ;)

But again like I have said before, QB rating is subjective to the era. Romo and Rivers are close in ratings and both great QBs but give me about a dozen other guys way below them any day.

13. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Green Bay Packers have been #1 in Passer rating differential 7 times since 1960. Won 6 titles in those 7 seasons. Lost to Denver in the SB in the other.