The MLF Effect- GBs Offensive Renaissance

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which fans aren't capable of admitting that McCarthy deserves some credit for what he accomplished in Green Bay? All of them? Some of them?

Two things can be true.

1) He did a good job developing Rodgers and his offenses, even if I don't think they're anything special schematically, were good enough to win a SB and for that he's an important part of Packers history.

2) His system as he ran it in Green Bay added very little value, schematically, and basically relied on TT to provide him with great personnel and Rodgers to make him right through sheer brilliance.

It's just much easier for a lot of fans to recognize this now that they're seeing what a vastly more efficient offense can look like. LaFleur is adding a ton more value to the offense this year than McCarthy ever did in any single season.

True. I mean number 1 is definitely true.

MM kind of made the "speead" O popular in the NFL for awhile but that's also due to personnel that TT provided lol

If you have Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Finley, you better be taking advantage of that formation

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
True. I mean number 1 is definitely true.

MM kind of made the "speead" O popular in the NFL for awhile but that's also due to personnel that TT provided lol

If you have Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Finley, you better be taking advantage of that formation

I don't really think that McCarthy's offense had much effect, league-wide.

He was in Green Bay for 13 seasons, they had all that offensive success, and yet only two guys from his staff ever got HC gigs, and both flopped.

Joe Philbin was hired in Miami from 2012 to 2015.

Ben McAdoo was hired in New York from 2014-2015 as OC and then from 2016-2017 as HC.

That's it. I'm not even aware of anyone else who got an OC job directly from MM's staff.

What the Packers were doing in GB couldn't be repeated, because it wasn't driven by coaching or scheme-- it was driven by having a HOF QB, and elite talent at OL and WR. You can't exactly export that.

D

Deleted member 6794

I’ve made it very clear in the past that I believe McCarthy re-engineered Rodgers into the QB that we’ve seen for the last 13 years. I believe the WR coaches have been more responsible for the technical development of the WR’s. I also credit McCarthy for having all the good position coaches and coordinators on his staff. He must also shoulder the blame for keeping Capers in place too long and for other unsuccessful guys like Ron Zook.

There's zero doubt McCarthy made mistakes as well, being to loyal to his coordinators definitely being one of them.

Which fans aren't capable of admitting that McCarthy deserves some credit for what he accomplished in Green Bay? All of them? Some of them?

You, as an example.

What the Packers were doing in GB couldn't be repeated, because it wasn't driven by coaching or scheme-- it was driven by having a HOF QB, and elite talent at OL and WR. You can't exactly export that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There's zero doubt McCarthy made mistakes as well, being to loyal to his coordinators definitely being one of them.

You, as an example.

This recent habit of selectively quoting me so in order to make it appear I'm saying something I'm not is pretty lame, even for you.