The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 32 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh oh looks like Love always wins haha...I was kinda digging having a top 10 pick. But it would undoubtedly be better to have some playoff experience for this young team.

Its all sht teams from here on out

Packers 6-6

@ Giants 4-8
Bucs 5-7
@ Panthers 1-11
@ Vikings 6-6
Bears 4-8

Remaining Opponents combined record of 20-40

3-2 puts em at 9-8 likely 7th seed
4-1 puts em at 10-7 likely 6th seed
5-0 puts em at 11-6 possibly division champs/definite 6 seed possible 5 seed

Lions 9-3

@ Bears
Broncos
@ Vikings
@ Cowboys
Vikings

Cowboys 9-3

Eagles
@ Bills
@ Dolphins
Lions
@ Commanders

I like the Cowboys to lose 3 of their last 5 but the Lions certainly could as well. It probably comes down to who wins the head to head matchup. With the winner going 3-2 and the loser going 2-3 over the last 5
Thanks for this info, really helpful. If they play like they have the last month, there's no reason why they can't win these games. But it's football. They do need to beat the Queens, especially if they win 3 of the 5 for a seventh seed.

The Cowboys and Eagles both have difficult schedules. Packers' and Lions' schedules are the easiest, well on paper or on a screen.......

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect IF Gute and Co believe Love is their QB beyond 2024, an extension may be announced as early as this week.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect IF Gute and Co believe Love is their QB beyond 2024, an extension may be announced as early as this week.
I'm not so sure. I think it's best to wait until this season is over. If Love is confident he can maintain and then improve his current play, it's better for him to wait, more costly to the team but much less risky.

I'd rather the Packers waited on this. He's under contract for 2025. If he really does become a top 5 QB the Packers would pay what they need to pay to keep him.

As much as I enjoyed the outstanding play against the Lions and Chiefs, it's just a two-game sample.

Out of curiosity Ty, what do you think an extension would look like if the Packers decided to extend him now?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure. I think it's best to wait until this season is over. If Love is confident he can maintain and then improve his current play, it's better for him to wait, more costly to the team but much less risky.

I'd rather the Packers waited on this. He's under contract for 2025. If he really does become a top 5 QB the Packers would pay what they need to pay to keep him.

As much as I enjoyed the outstanding play against the Lions and Chiefs, it's just a two-game sample.

Out of curiosity Ty, what do you think an extension would look like if the Packers decided to extend him now?

Couple things - he is not actually under contract for 2025. Only 2024 (next year).

Also you don't extend Love purely for the last two games - but I've shared and hashed over things he has illustrated just to my non-GB staff eyes.

I don't do it personally yet. BUT what I'm saying is IF they in house have no doubts or are essentially there. Doing it now, using up some of that available cap space now to offset some of the cost is never not a good thing.

Many are saying AAV would be somewhere in that Daniel Jones ballpark...which was $40M a year. So I'd bet if it were announced today it would be in that $35-$45M a year range...if higher I suspect the guaranteed drops some and if lower or closer to the $35M figure it might include more guaranteed up front.

Geno Smith was a $25M a year so to me given his age clearly means Jordan is in that $35M a year or higher if we would choose to do a two or three year. I suspect Jordan and his Agent will want a 4 or 5 year at that $50M type a year figure truthfully.

As reference...Burrow got 5 years $275M or $55M/Year....Love ain't getting that IF he signs right now IMO.
Herbert got 5 years and $262.5M or $52.5M/year..
Jalen Hurts got 5 years at $51M a year...

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are they even able to extend right now? I was under the impression that outside of a rookie contract you can’t sign another extension/contract within 12 months of their last extension? I guess it could be “announced” now but by that rule I’d think it can’t actually be put to paper until May of next year, unless I’m missing something…

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are they even able to extend right now? I was under the impression that outside of a rookie contract you can’t sign another extension/contract within 12 months of their last extension? I guess it could be “announced” now but by that rule I’d think it can’t actually be put to paper until May of next year, unless I’m missing something…

They already are operating outside his rookie deal as they did not pick up his fifth year option, but instead did a contract extension instead.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They already are operating outside his rookie deal as they did not pick up his fifth year option, but instead did a contract extension instead.
Yes, that’s what I mean. As I understand he would now be considered to currently be on his first “veteran deal”

CBA 13.8 (a)(i) “The contract of a Veteran Player may not be renegotiated to increase the Salary to be paid to the player during the original terms of the contract for a period of twelve months after the player’s most recent contract renegotiation. The first renegotiation of a Veteran Player Contract, however, may take place at any time.”

What I am not clear on is if his most recent extension was considered his “first renegotiation of a veteran player contract” or if the initial vet contract is not considered as such and thus this potential *upcoming* renegotiation would be considered the initial one and thus able to be done at any time. But if his next contract is not considered “first renegotiation” then I believe we would have to wait until May of 24 to finalize an extension.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, that’s what I mean. As I understand he would now be considered to currently be on his first “veteran deal”

CBA 13.8 (a)(i) “The contract of a Veteran Player may not be renegotiated to increase the Salary to be paid to the player during the original terms of the contract for a period of twelve months after the player’s most recent contract renegotiation. The first renegotiation of a Veteran Player Contract, however, may take place at any time.”

What I am not clear on is if his most recent extension was considered his “first renegotiation of a veteran player contract” or if the initial vet contract is not considered as such and thus this potential *upcoming* renegotiation would be considered the initial one and thus able to be done at any time. But if his next contract is not considered “first renegotiation” then I believe we would have to wait until May of 24 to finalize an extension.

Idk how to embed tweet from mobile, but here we are:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Gotcha, yeah timeline knowledge exactly would need known.

You’re correct though, would seem unlikely if we understand timings correctly.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kurt Benkert hit the nail on the absolute freaking head in a recent three point post. I’ve been saying forever this is not a crazy new Love…but the play around him is.

Kurt - “3. The Receivers are seeing the types of coverages 10x better than they have all season - no longer just running routes how they are drawn in the playbook - but actually feeling how to run them based on coverage”

Until maybe our sixth or seventh game it was something that frustrated the HELL out of me watching All22. Wicks was arguably at times the only receiver reading coverage and seemingly shaving or tweaking a route to fit the coverage instead of literally running themsevles into route defeat.

If you can watch the last four games specifically, the wide receivers then ARE no where close to who was out there in first five games…it just isn’t.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with you. And I just don't want to throw a distraction into the midst right now - Love and co. need to be focused on making a run for the playoffs, and I think a contract negotiation might mess with that mojo right now(?). Who knows.

What I disagree with is your comment about a "two game sample" - it's still a relatively small sample, but to split hairs with you a bit, Love has been playing really well for at least the past four games. Three of them wins, and the other one still a pretty solid outing, imho.

But again, I do agree - I'd rather not rush the contract, mostly for his sake. (DISCLAIMER: I say this while knowing woefully little about NFL contract negotiations and timing, etc.)

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The worst part is having to read my old posts about how bad the Packers treated Aaron Rodgers and how they should never have drafted Love, bla bla bla. To be fair, those messages were a couple years ago ... Rodgers officially lost me last year and I fully jumped on the Love Train this offseason. But still. I wish I'd held judgment just a little bit when they drafted JL.

I will say a good thing about Rodgers. By all accounts, he shared knowledge and treated Love with respect. It's a benefit he himself did not receive from diva Favre.

Reaction score
What’s intriguing to me is that Love isn’t playing his best imo. There’s some minor mechanics to clean up. There’s some timing issues to work on with his Receivers. Obviously playing time will continue to help his cause in consistency of decision making. He’s displaying close to what he’s capable, but refinement will make his ceiling skyrocket in several contests.

Also Love is surrounded by mostly youth, but also a talented group. While all teams are trying to get better, the youngest NFL teams (Packers, Rams, Colts, Bengals, Cards, Giants, Bucs) are statistically the ones with a large propensity for growth. Then when you look at those teams youth from an Overall Roster? our Offense is clearly the phase with the highest room for growth. Also none of those teams can say they would best GB right now.

Imo that’s what I was saying earlier this season when I was regurgitating our players youth and it’s why we are in-season dynamic and looking like such a drastic turnaround. Word comes to mind is “Dynamic”.

We just played 2 Division leaders
(8-2 and 8-3) and beat them both at their house and ours back to back. The 2023 Packers are the Definition of a “Wild Card”. Whenever that card gets played properly? it can be devastating to a even a very good hand.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for this info, really helpful. If they play like they have the last month, there's no reason why they can't win these games. But it's football. They do need to beat the Queens, especially if they win 3 of the 5 for a seventh seed.

The Cowboys and Eagles both have difficult schedules. Packers' and Lions' schedules are the easiest, well on paper or on a screen.......
Do not look far ahead. Right now the Packers must deal with the decimated and unpredictable Giants on the road. Last year they beat us when we were favored. They do not have a Mahommes or a Pach man in the backfield but they will have a game plan.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple things - he is not actually under contract for 2025. Only 2024 (next year).

Also you don't extend Love purely for the last two games - but I've shared and hashed over things he has illustrated just to my non-GB staff eyes.

I don't do it personally yet. BUT what I'm saying is IF they in house have no doubts or are essentially there. Doing it now, using up some of that available cap space now to offset some of the cost is never not a good thing.

Many are saying AAV would be somewhere in that Daniel Jones ballpark...which was $40M a year. So I'd bet if it were announced today it would be in that $35-$45M a year range...if higher I suspect the guaranteed drops some and if lower or closer to the $35M figure it might include more guaranteed up front.

Geno Smith was a $25M a year so to me given his age clearly means Jordan is in that $35M a year or higher if we would choose to do a two or three year. I suspect Jordan and his Agent will want a 4 or 5 year at that $50M type a year figure truthfully.

As reference...Burrow got 5 years $275M or $55M/Year....Love ain't getting that IF he signs right now IMO.
Herbert got 5 years and $262.5M or $52.5M/year..
Jalen Hurts got 5 years at $51M a year...
Thanks for the correction and clarification Ty. I see your point. The GB FO may have already decided Love is the guy, so extend now at $35-$40 mil year. If they have made that decision, that makes sense.

Just my opinion, but I don't think there's enough evidence to support an extension right now. If Love continues on this upward path, waiting until the season end to extend him will cost more. Even so, I don't see him getting close to Burrow/Herbert/Hurts money. $40 mil/year isn't cheap, but if he can get the team to the playoffs, I'm all for it.

Aside from the money and timing. I just hope Love is the guy. He's sure starting to look like it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do not look far ahead. Right now the Packers must deal with the decimated and unpredictable Giants on the road. Last year they beat us when we were favored. They do not have a Mahommes or a Pach man in the backfield but they will have a game plan.
Sound advice my friend. This is a set up game. The Packers are rightfully pumped up and on paper this is an easy win.

We know better. In some ways this game may be harder for MLF to prepare for than the Lions and Chiefs. And teams with nothing to lose will play that way.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you. And I just don't want to throw a distraction into the midst right now - Love and co. need to be focused on making a run for the playoffs, and I think a contract negotiation might mess with that mojo right now(?). Who knows.

What I disagree with is your comment about a "two game sample" - it's still a relatively small sample, but to split hairs with you a bit, Love has been playing really well for at least the past four games. Three of them wins, and the other one still a pretty solid outing, imho.

But again, I do agree - I'd rather not rush the contract, mostly for his sake. (DISCLAIMER: I say this while knowing woefully little about NFL contract negotiations and timing, etc.)
Yeah doing an extension now will just distract the team. And things are going too well for distractions.

And yes, Love had been playing very well for at least a month, after a shaky start. I admit I was a skeptic, but he sure looks like the real deal.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction and clarification Ty. I see your point. The GB FO may have already decided Love is the guy, so extend now at $35-$40 mil year. If they have made that decision, that makes sense.

Just my opinion, but I don't think there's enough evidence to support an extension right now. If Love continues on this upward path, waiting until the season end to extend him will cost more. Even so, I don't see him getting close to Burrow/Herbert/Hurts money. $40 mil/year isn't cheap, but if he can get the team to the playoffs, I'm all for it.

Aside from the money and timing. I just hope Love is the guy. He's sure starting to look like it.
I agree to take the patient route.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sound advice my friend. This is a set up game. The Packers are rightfully pumped up and on paper this is an easy win.

We know better. In some ways this game may be harder for MLF to prepare for than the Lions and Chiefs. And teams with nothing to lose will play that way.
And I expect trick plays including a fake punt or FG, a flea flicker, and Devito going long on a short yardage play. And they could just figure Barkley can pound us down like the Pach man did. Our D line better have a game just as well as it did against Goff.

Members online

Latest posts