The Beer Sport

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Oh I'd figured it out.

Knowing how good Americans are at geography, croak may have made a genuine error :cool::cool:

My kind of guy; believe the best in folks. :tup: I live in a geographical part of the world where Canadians get offended if you don't consider them "Americans". But I did make an honest mistake. I thought those pictures were from England, not one of it's "vassals". ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just back from a quick visit to India. This baby's quite cool!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

That looks interesting, heard of it before but never seen in stores over here. Is it good ? I wonder if Indians can brew a decent beer ? :cautious:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That looks interesting, heard of it before but never seen in stores over here. Is it good ? I wonder if Indians can brew a decent beer ? :cautious:

It's decent. India is a mass consumption market. Very few takers for craft stuff. So they mostly stick with lagers. For a lager, Kingfisher is decent, though the domestics and export varieties taste very different.

If you are a whiskey fan, you should try Paul John Single Malt from Goa, India. Very highly rated!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_John_(whisky)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's decent. India is a mass consumption market. Very few takers for craft stuff. So they mostly stick with lagers. For a lager, Kingfisher is decent, though the domestics and export varieties taste very different.

If you are a whiskey fan, you should try Paul John Single Malt from Goa, India. Very highly rated!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_John_(whisky)
Interesting, assuming you have tried both, what's the difference between the domestic and export version ? :cautious:
And Special thanks for your whisky recommendation :)
I'm surprised that my favourite online whisky store provides the Paul John Single Malt. The bottle is about 40 Euros/43 USD. Think I will give it a try. ;)
Are you travelling India frequently ?
Never made it to India although I always wanted to see Bombay/Mumbai. But my wife doesn't want to and she is
the boss :rolleyes::D

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting, assuming you have tried both, what's the difference between the domestic and export version ? :cautious:
And Special thanks for your whisky recommendation :)
I'm surprised that my favourite online whisky store provides the Paul John Single Malt. The bottle is about 40 Euros/43 USD. Think I will give it a try. ;)
Are you travelling India frequently ?
Never made it to India although I always wanted to see Bombay/Mumbai. But my wife doesn't want to and she is
the boss :rolleyes::D

The domestic version tastes a bit more natural, whereas the export version feels like it has preservatives added to it, a bit artificial if you get my meaning. You'd not notice it unless you have drunk both versions though. Give it a shot if you manage to come by one.

For an Indian whiskey, John Paul is not popular in India. Just in the UK :confused: And I recommend sample/small tasters before you buy the whole bottle.

If you ever travel to India, don't ever go to major cities. In other countries the major cities are a tourist attraction in themselves (NY, LA, Paris, London, Amsterdam etc), but in India the major cities are just crap. They are not that clean, over crowded and not much to see innit.

I'd recommend Leh/Ladakh in Kashmir (near Kashmir but quite safe). You'd have to fly to Delhi (spend a day or two max for experience) and head out here. The jeep safari is just mind blowing.

India doesn't have a good reputation as a tourist destination, but show your wife Leh/ladakh and she'll be more willing.

Google it up.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The domestic version tastes a bit more natural, whereas the export version feels like it has preservatives added to it, a bit artificial if you get my meaning. You'd not notice it unless you have drunk both versions though. Give it a shot if you manage to come by one.

For an Indian whiskey, John Paul is not popular in India. Just in the UK :confused: And I recommend sample/small tasters before you buy the whole bottle.

If you ever travel to India, don't ever go to major cities. In other countries the major cities are a tourist attraction in themselves (NY, LA, Paris, London, Amsterdam etc), but in India the major cities are just crap. They are not that clean, over crowded and not much to see innit.

I'd recommend Leh/Ladakh in Kashmir (near Kashmir but quite safe). You'd have to fly to Delhi (spend a day or two max for experience) and head out here. The jeep safari is just mind blowing.

India doesn't have a good reputation as a tourist destination, but show your wife Leh/ladakh and she'll be more willing.

Google it up.
Very impressive pictures, looks completely different from what usually comes to my mind when thinking of India.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome pics XPack, yours?

Indian lagers generally aren't too bad, Tiger and Kingfisher being the well known ones, must admit i'm partial when having an indian meal

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome pics XPack, yours?

Indian lagers generally aren't too bad, Tiger and Kingfisher being the well known ones, must admit i'm partial when having an indian meal

Sadly no. Just googled up pics, but my cousins did a trip there a couple of years before and the pics are just as awesome.

Tiger is from Singapore, right? I'll admit I've got a partiality to Asian lagers

Japan - Aasahi
China - Tsingtao
India - Kingfisher
Singapore - Tiger
Philippines - San Miguel
Thailand - Singha

are all awesome. Whenever I'm there, I usually stick with the local brew.

Edit: Did I mention here before that they have whiskey on tap on Japan?

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Sadly no. Just googled up pics, but my cousins did a trip there a couple of years before and the pics are just as awesome.

Tiger is from Singapore, right? I'll admit I've got a partiality to Asian lagers

Japan - Aasahi
China - Tsingtao
India - Kingfisher
Singapore - Tiger
Philippines - San Miguel
Thailand - Singha

When I eat sushi, it's all about Kirin Ichiban.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Japan - Aasahi
China - Tsingtao
India - Kingfisher
Singapore - Tiger
Philippines - San Miguel
Thailand - Singha

you're right Tiger is from Singapore, i never knew that, but they do serve it in Indian restaurants here

Whisky on tap? i could get used to that, only Irish & American Whisky has an E in it ;)

When I eat sushi, it's all about Kirin Ichiban.

this is what i thought of when i read that

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
you're right Tiger is from Singapore, i never knew that, but they do serve it in Indian restaurants here

Whisky on tap? i could get used to that, only Irish & American Whisky has an E in it ;)

this is what i thought of when i read that

WTF... lol

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Yeah... the WTF lol was from the Ichiban lipstick. Never seen that before.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allagash Hugh Malone, a Belgian style IPA. My new favourite!

Smooth blend, about 7.5% abv. Not too light or sweet as Belgian beer are expected to be. Great drink!

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Allagash Hugh Malone, a Belgian style IPA. My new favourite!

Smooth blend, about 7.5% abv. Not too light or sweet as Belgian beer are expected to be. Great drink!

Weird name for the beer. An American/Belgian style IPA with an Irish name.

Hugh Malone
Hugh Malone is a blend of both Belgian and U.S. brewing traditions. This limited release Tribute Series beer combines the intense characteristics of American aroma hop varieties with the delicate esters of a Belgian-style yeast. It is brewed with a blend of Pilsner Malt and Raw Wheat and fermented with the Allagash house yeast strain. Each year, the brewers work together to choose specific hop varieties, in order to impart the right balance of citrus, fruit, pine and spicy notes. This years, we add a portion of hops to the sweet wort in the kettle, a technique known as “first wort hopping.” As the boil begins a generous amount of Chinook and Warrior hops are added for bittering, followed by aroma hops (Centennial, Cascade and Ahtanum) in the whirlpool. After fermentation, the finished beer is dry-hopped prior to packaging with Cascade, Centennial, Galaxy and Azacca hops.

With our Tribute Series beers, we honor and give back to organizations in our home state that make a positive impact in our greater neighborhood. Allagash will donate $1 from every 4-pack of Hugh Malone Ale to community gardens and others supporting sustainable agriculture.

Availability: Tribute Series

Package Size: 12oz, Draft

ABV: 7.3%

Grains: Pilsner Malt and Raw Wheat

Hops: Chinook and Warrior hops (bittering), Centennial, Cascade and Ahtanum (aroma), Cascade, Centennial, Galaxy and Azacca hops (dry hopped)

Yeast: House

Serving Temp: 40-50°F

Ideal Within: Six Months

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weird name for the beer. An American/Belgian style IPA with an Irish name.

Yeah, thought so too.

It's surprisingly well blended. No strong taste comes to the fore. Smooth and well balanced. For me personally I like beers with around 7% abv. Anything less will be what you drink in a business socializer, and more might get you hammered fast. This one I can enjoy for a quiet night in the pub.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's another recent discovery of mine.

Imperial Old Rasputin Stout

Stronger than Guinness at 9% abv and as smooth though not as creamy, this is only of the best stouts I've drunk.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Here's another recent discovery of mine.

Imperial Old Rasputin Stout

Stronger than Guinness at 9% abv and as smooth though not as creamy, this is only of the best stouts I've drunk.

Old Rasputin is a classic Russian Imperial Stout. Been drinking it since 1999.

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score

Working on a case of this right now. It's a once a year brew, so you gotta get it when it is out.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

Working on a case of this right now. It's a once a year brew, so you gotta get it when it is out.
Hmmmmmm, that looks interesting and I found pretty good reviews on the web as well. Never heard of it before.
But I'd especially love to hear how you guys pronounce Tröegs with "O-Umlaut" :D

Latest posts