The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is theory that he has found his soulmate in Danica and with all the Dalai Lama stuff he's "spiritually" well too!

Which is good for him and all... but I mean this is still his job/profession, so he still has to perform and do well and "live up" to Aaron Rodgers

Kind of like Brett, we can't just let him "go off" and do his own thing balancing personal and professional life, it sounds unfair...but that's just the reality.

Next year will be very interesting...

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This.

....or he could have just DOVE or at least try to "fight" for the ball...??

I mean **** that was a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bad fumble considering the timing and situation and everything...

We were still technically in the game at that point..

so if we score a TD there, who knows...?

Yeah, he made absolutely no effort to recover it even though he was the first to know it was loose.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes it will be..

I mean I think there is definitely "some" regression. I mean he'll be what? 37 next year..

But still, a couple of the throws he made to Davante today were phenomenal. The one off his back foot to the sideline and the deep throw to him were incredible....

So I don't think the physical talent/gift is "gone"... But it really just comes down to if he can "get it" and still be "Aaron Rodgers" or is his head/mind/goals somewhere else

If you listen to his Postgame conference he says all the right things. And he's right, this was his/their FIRST YEAR under MLF and a NEW system. so there will obviously be some kind of adjustment period (this year), which I would give him a "pass" on. And although he backs some of the UDFA guys we had on Offense this year, we all know that they were UDFA for a reason lol. So I'm 100% positive the FO will improve on that.

So next year will really be I think "put up or shut up" and if we can't get over the hump...then AR will be 38 the following year and I think that you have to seriously start looking at the next guy b/c he can't get us over the hump

*NOTE: i'm trying to be real objective here too. For all the great things he's done, we're still only 1-3 in the NFCCG with him. We can blame the D, Ted Thompson(lol), Mike McCarthy, rookies, talent, etc, etc etc. It is a TEAM game. But ultimately, there are other factors in play. Obviously it's "unfair" to judge AR by this measure, but I think at thie point in his career...that's really the ONLY way to judge his "legacy". He already has the stats and MVPs, but only ONE Super Bowl(and appearance) and that's just a fact

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I don't think the physical talent/gift is "gone"... But it really just comes down to if he can "get it" and still be "Aaron Rodgers" or is his head/mind/goals somewhere else
The way I look at Rodgers is that he's a very solid, experienced quarterback. He's got his quirks but he's also got his skills and knowledge. But he's not going to be that young guy who torched the league anymore. The key to winning in the future with him is to put a solid team around him. Sort of like how Elway went out.

That's a tough trick, but it's better than having to build a great team around Mitchell Trubisky. We have the QB spot handled, for now. The only real bad part is we have to pay Rodgers salary and take the associated cap hit, that hampers us somewhat.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I look at Rodgers is that he's a very solid, experienced quarterback. He's got his quirks but he's also got his skills and knowledge. But he's not going to be that young guy who torched the league anymore. The key to winning in the future with him is to put a solid team around him. Sort of like how Elway went out.

That's a tough trick, but it's better than having to build a great team around Mitchell Trubisky. We have the QB spot handled, for now. The only real bad part is we have to pay Rodgers salary and take the associated cap hit, that hampers us somewhat.

I mean this is similar to Brett, except Aaron doesn't throw as many interceptions lol

We had to do the same thing with Ahman and Ryan Grant...

I mean I would hope that he can still make plays and carry the team...but you're probably right...he just doesn't have "it" anymore

Swagger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It just feels like there's something else on his mind. Like football isn't the be all and end all to him anymore - his heart doesn't really seem to be in it. I see him playing another two seasons then he will call it a day. He seems the type happy with his lot. Not obsessed with winning like Tom Brady.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not trolling. Fact is he sucks in his home state, always has probably always will and right now that's 3 out of 32 stadiums in the league he plays in. Imagine Michael Jordan back in the day not being able to play well in 3 buildings in the NBA. What about Gretzky not being able to play in multiple buildings? Imagine Bryce Harper stinking out the joint in 3 ballparks. I make valid points and it's "trolling" because I'm not all 'oh geez oh gosh golly gee willickers we have a great team and the best QB ever, and he's perfect and everything is perfect.' I'm not trolling, what I AM...is right.

No the thing is Ric you ARE a troll. Every single time you show yourself it's either after a loss in which the first thing you do is blame Rodgers. Not once have you EVER gave this man his due. So forgive me and a lot of the others don't hear you sounding off on your antiquated ********. You're the kinda that that would cut off your nose to spite your own face! I'm pretty damn confident in saying that you would've rather us lose than win, simply because it would've given you an opportunity to blame Rodgers and look right.

I would get it if you had at least TRIED to be objective with your claims, but every single time, you conveniently only show up when we lose to bash Rodgers. As much flak as we give Gary for his views in regards to Rodgers, you're the worst of them all. At LEAST he brings up fair points every once in awhile and he will give the dude his due, albeit in his own way. You only showing up after a defeat when it suits your purpose. You are a troll and an annoying one at that.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It just feels like there's something else on his mind. Like football isn't the be all and end all to him anymore - his heart doesn't really seem to be in it. I see him playing another two seasons then he will call it a day. He seems the type happy with his lot. Not obsessed with winning like Tom Brady.

I think that's been obvious for some time now. Rodgers is an intelligent, thoughtful guy and football isn't the be-all and end-all for him. He has other lives to live. He's made that clear in several interviews the last few years. I remember him saying once that realized how he'll never find peace in football.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
This is why twitter is for bird brains, anybody with 2 cells to rub together would know exactly what is behind those numbers yet others think it proves something LOL

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Unfortunately true.

Though denial will cause many to make excuses. The reality is we are paying a ton of cash for average production and that makes it difficult to win.
Interesting observation.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately true.

Though denial will cause many to make excuses. The reality is we are paying a ton of cash for average production and that makes it difficult to win.

Interesting observation.
It's not excuses, as I believe context matters. The previous two years Rodgers was dealing with injuries, and this year we're now under a new offense in which favors us becoming more balanced. I find it funny that the last time Rodgers was healthy we made it to another NFC Championship just like we did today. So I feel it's important to put things into proper context. Do I think he's regressed, a little bit, but he's still one of the best QBs in the league right now.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not excuses, as I believe context matters. The previous two years Rodgers was dealing with injuries, and this year we're now under a new offense in which favors us becoming more balanced. I find it funny that the last time Rodgers was healthy we made it to another NFC Championship just like we did today. So I feel it's important to put things into proper context. Do I think he's regressed, a little bit, but he's still one of the best QBs in the league right now.
I do believe he may improve his performance with more familiarity of the offense. What worries me is we didnt see all that much improvement over the course of the season.

I thought quite a bit about this last night and the last few weeks. What I came up with is that he can not play QB the way he used to. Our OL used to pass block by redirecting the rushers and creating a spread pocket. AR had incredible movement skills in the pocket which allowed him to adjust to pressure and coverage to make throws. He cant move around like that anymore. Our OL blocks to create a traditional pocket and AR cant create like he once did. But it seems like he still tries.

One of the more upsetting plays was when SF brought 7 on the blitz. We had 3 WRs so 2 were in single coverage. Every play has a hot route. The QB is supposed to recognize the blitz and throw quickly. If he isnt open throw it to where only the WR has a shot and hope for great catch or an interference call. AR is in the shotgun. He must see the blitz coming. And he turns to run and gets sacked.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No the thing is Ric you ARE a troll. Every single time you show yourself it's either after a loss in which the first thing you do is blame Rodgers. Not once have you EVER gave this man his due. So forgive me and a lot of the others don't hear you sounding off on your antiquated ********. You're the kinda that that would cut off your nose to spite your own face! I'm pretty damn confident in saying that you would've rather us lose than win, simply because it would've given you an opportunity to blame Rodgers and look right.

I would get it if you had at least TRIED to be objective with your claims, but every single time, you conveniently only show up when we lose to bash Rodgers. As much flak as we give Gary for his views in regards to Rodgers, you're the worst of them all. At LEAST he brings up fair points every once in awhile and he will give the dude his due, albeit in his own way. You only showing up after a defeat when it suits your purpose. You are a troll and an annoying one at that.

Here is Rodgers due: for 1 year and a half from the 2nd half of 2010 (Including the playoffs) through the 2011 regular season he was the best quarterback I've ever seen, and I've seen Montana, Young, Marino, Brady etc. He has 1 Superbowl victory.

Now since Mr. Troll accuser let me ask this: In all those other years with Rodgers at QB why haven't we gotten to a Superbowl? We've changed coaches, he's the only player left from that team. Why does Brady have multiple in that time? Why is Rodger CONSISTENTLY going back to that pre-season game in 2008 where playing like **** in California? Why can't he play in 4 (Right now and 3 next year) out of 32 stadiums? We crucified Brett for his inability to play in 2 why does this guy get a pass?

Once you can answer those questions in a way that makes sense then you can accuse me of being a troll. Until then accuse me of being what I am...someone who rides with the brand, and not always the boys who represent it.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Here is Rodgers due: for 1 year and a half from the 2nd half of 2010 (Including the playoffs) through the 2011 regular season he was the best quarterback I've ever seen, and I've seen Montana, Young, Marino, Brady etc. He has 1 Superbowl victory.

Now since Mr. Troll accuser let me ask this: In all those other years with Rodgers at QB why haven't we gotten to a Superbowl? We've changed coaches, he's the only player left from that team. Why does Brady have multiple in that time? Why is Rodger CONSISTENTLY going back to that pre-season game in 2008 where playing like **** in California? Why can't he play in 4 (Right now and 3 next year) out of 32 stadiums? We crucified Brett for his inability to play in 2 why does this guy get a pass?

Once you can answer those questions in a way that makes sense then you can accuse me of being a troll. Until then accuse me of being what I am...someone who rides with the brand, and not always the boys who represent it.
If you can’t go back and take an honest look at what has actually happened in many of the playoff losses then this exercise will prove to be pointless.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the 2014 NFC Championship loss is not on Rodgers, gonna give Rodgers that.

ALMOST losing Superbowl 45 by getting 3 when 7 ices it I will ALSO give Rodgers his due for.

Fact is, everything I've said positive and negative about Rodgers is true and exists.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
the 2014 NFC Championship loss is not on Rodgers, gonna give Rodgers that.

ALMOST losing Superbowl 45 by getting 3 when 7 ices it I will ALSO give Rodgers his due for.

Fact is, everything I've said positive and negative about Rodgers is true and exists.
Bringing up an “almost” Super Bowl loss, that was actually a Super Bowl victory. Lololol.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do believe he may improve his performance with more familiarity of the offense. What worries me is we didnt see all that much improvement over the course of the season.

I thought quite a bit about this last night and the last few weeks. What I came up with is that he can not play QB the way he used to. Our OL used to pass block by redirecting the rushers and creating a spread pocket. AR had incredible movement skills in the pocket which allowed him to adjust to pressure and coverage to make throws. He cant move around like that anymore. Our OL blocks to create a traditional pocket and AR cant create like he once did. But it seems like he still tries.

One of the more upsetting plays was when SF brought 7 on the blitz. We had 3 WRs so 2 were in single coverage. Every play has a hot route. The QB is supposed to recognize the blitz and throw quickly. If he isnt open throw it to where only the WR has a shot and hope for great catch or an interference call. AR is in the shotgun. He must see the blitz coming. And he turns to run and gets sacked.

Gee, before last night I thought Rodgers was starting to look more like his old self, especially against MN and SEA. We all knew SF was the worst match-up for us going in. Let's see how things go in 2020.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gee, before last night I thought Rodgers was starting to look more like his old self, especially against MN and SEA. We all knew SF was the worst match-up for us going in. Let's see how things go in 2020.
I agree he was playing better towards the end of the season. But it wasnt as much improvement as I thought we could expect.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It will be interesting what additional pieces they are able to place around him, and how that will translate to his play.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

I can tell you why Rodgers only has one Super Bowl ring. It's simple. Defense. From 2011 to 2018 the Packers defense gave up 22.8 points per game. in 2010 that number was 15 ppg. In 2019 that number was 19.6 ppg. That is why the Packers went 13-3. Not because of Rodgers. Brady has had the great advantage of having a good defense for 20 years. It makes it a lot easier to win when you don't have to score as often. From 2008 to 2019, Rodgers has more TD's and less interception than Brady. Overall a better QB during that time frame. Yet Brady is 133-40 in-game to Rodgers 113-60-1. The difference is in the Defense. Only some people still don't want to believe me. In that timeframe, the Pats have been to 5 Super Bowl and won 3 of them. The Packers. 1. But people keep telling me don't know what I'm talking about.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Are you seriously asking why Rodgers has only gotten to one Superbowl in comparison to Brady?

Let me ask you this, over the course of the past decade when has the AFC been more formidable than the NFC? Nevermind the fact that Brady is blessed in a great system with the greatest coach in modern era, who has given him great defenses for the most part of the decade. Nevermind the fact that Brady plays in a weaker division, let alone conference. Tell me what teams in the AFC has New England had to worry about over the years come playoff time? The only two I can think of that New England would have to worry about are the Manning lead teams, and Baltimore whenever they matched up against New England, let alone make the playoffs. Don't give me Pittsburgh because they are New England's punching bag. What team in the AFC was constantly there to give NE? I HATE when people use the whole Brady thing. So are you suggesting Brady's success in New England would be the same if Green Bay? Especially with how bad the defenses has been over the years?

Also the time prior to this year when we played against San Fran at their home, Rodgers BEAT The 49ers, so to say Rodgers can't play in California is asinine. Next are you seriously going to sit here and act like the defenses didn't play a factor in all of this? For goodness' sake, the dude had over 200 yards last night and you're pinning this all at Rodgers feet? Do you hear yourself!? I agree Rodgers gets a portion of the blame for his performance last night but I'm not going to crucify the guy when the defense couldn't stop the run to save their lives.

I'm curious, what are these other 3 stadiums you speak of as well, so enlighten me on that one if you don't mind.

As for your "due" you're giving Rodgers a backhanded compliment, and honestly a disingenuous one at that. ALMOST losing Superbowl 45? Bruh are you serious. Idc if you dislike Rodgers, that's your business. But again I find it strange that you ONLY show up after we lose. So why is that? Why is that you only decide to come out after a loss instead of when we win? You call yourself a fan and yet we only see you after a defeat, just for you to blame Rodgers. Hence why I believe you would rather us lose than us win.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is getting older, and personally i'm sure he is focused on the next chapter in his life if it hasn't already started. He can only do so much at his age without sacrificing his body and health, and the reality of what receiving corp and O-line he is working with. I don't think he is willing to risk his health or body for the sake of a sport that will not care about him once he retires. This guy already did a lot for the organization and sport but one man can only do so much.

Will be interesting to see if whoever takes over the helm, if he does better than Rod with this new receiving corp. That would be interesting. A new era.

Latest posts