The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First time I have thought this... Rodgers is on the decline. I strongly believe the Barr collarbone injury has ruined his once all time great deep ball ability. Only fully healthy season he has had since 2013 was 2016. 2013 he had the first collarbone injury, 2014 he had the calf at the end of the year and the playoffs, I may be reaching but 2015 he looked like he was hurt even though no big injury was reported (regardless didn't perform that great season), 2016 healthy, 2017 collarbone, 2018 knee injury. I have thought for the longest time Rodgers is stuck with Green Bay, but maybe the Packers are now stuck with him.

I'm sure you were in the same boat of people that were saying this in early 2016 when the Packers were also struggling, right before Rodgers played the greatest 9 game stretch I've ever seen a quarterback play to finish that season.

People were wrong then, and they're going to be proven wrong again.

You must have missed the part when I said, 'First time I have thought this', so no, I didn't think Rodgers was on the decline in 2016. As I mentioned I was worried last offseason about Rodgers' broken collarbone on his throwing shoulder. 2 years and 2 injuries later, I do think he's on some decline.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...soon.

He looks like a 4,000/28/8 type guy now...

Those are "good numbers" BUT largely due to the fact that rules favor Offense and WRs today

I just don't think he can do it anymore..

He's no longer a Top 5 guys, maybe "barely" Top 10, but for how much longer???

His accuracy is WAYYYY off, not just failing to check down, but throws of 15+ yards, which used to be "money" for him 5 years ago are just tough for him to complete.

I think they should start looking for a replacement.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's spelled D.U.N, and he's not. He's had a poor year, most of the accuracy stuff didn't start showing up until 2 months into the season after he could not longer compensate for his altered throwing mechanics from his knee. there are a couple parts to this equation, some having to do with protections and him and receivers working out details, but I fully expect the accuracy to return after some time in the offseason, rest, rehab, and get it right again.

and on a side not, some people should be D.U.N being allowed to post new topics that are being discussed on 3 different threads already.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven’t noticed any physical decline with him, more just in terms of accuracy and decision making. I think he’s gotten a little lazy with some of his footwork which is causing some of his throws to be way off. Hopefully a new head coach can come in and fix it. But I don’t think he is done. Look at Brees, he is having one of the best seasons of his career and he’s several years older than Rodgers.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You must have missed the part when I said, 'First time I have thought this', so no, I didn't think Rodgers was on the decline in 2016. As I mentioned I was worried last offseason about Rodgers' broken collarbone on his throwing shoulder. 2 years and 2 injuries later, I do think he's on some decline.
Well "some decline" could mean a lot of things. Has he lost maybe a touch of his peak speed? Perhaps. Has he lost maybe a touch of his peak escapability? Perhaps. Has he lost any arm strength whatsoever? Absolutely not. He can still make every throw. He's just been off.

There's a difference in your timing/precision being off and saying that he's lost arm strength and velocity. Because the latter is simply not the case at all. Look at the throw to Allison on opening night against the Bears that he put right in the bread basket that he put a ton of air under to make it work. The throw to Tonyan where he was completely falling away rolling to his right and launched a rope across his body 60 yards for a touchdown. I could go on, but what's the point?

Rodgers just turned 35 and he's a young 35 due to the time he spent behind Favre early in his career. I'm not at all concerned with his abilities having diminished at this point in his career. The comment, and I'm paraphrasing, about 'maybe the Packers are now stuck with him' is laughable to the highest degree.

Again, its the same overreaction that many were exhibiting early 2016. You say you weren't a part of that crowd, but regardless, it's the same principle. I had to be the voice of reason and talk people away from the ledge then, and I'm dumbfounded that I'm having to do it again.

You, and several others, are breaking the cardinal rule. The golden rule. Whatever you want to call it. And it's simple: Never ever count out or bet against Aaron Rodgers. That's really all that you need to know.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well "some decline" could mean a lot of things. Has he lost maybe a touch of his peak speed? Perhaps. Has he lost maybe a touch of his peak escapability? Perhaps. Has he lost any arm strength whatsoever? Absolutely not. He can still make every throw. He's just been off.

There's a difference in your timing/precision being off and saying that he's lost arm strength and velocity. Because the latter is simply not the case at all. Look at the throw to Allison on opening night against the Bears that he put right in the bread basket that he put a ton of air under to make it work. The throw to Tonyan where he was completely falling away rolling to his right and launched a rope across his body 60 yards for a touchdown. I could go on, but what's the point?

Rodgers just turned 35 and he's a young 35 due to the time he spent behind Favre early in his career. I'm not at all concerned with his abilities having diminished at this point in his career. The comment, and I'm paraphrasing, about 'maybe the Packers are now stuck with him' is laughable to the highest degree.

Again, its the same overreaction that many were exhibiting early 2016. You say you weren't a part of that crowd, but regardless, it's the same principle. I had to be the voice of reason and talk people away from the ledge then, and I'm dumbfounded that I'm having to do it again.

You, and several others, are breaking the cardinal rule. The golden rule. Whatever you want to call it. And it's simple: Never ever count out or bet against Aaron Rodgers. That's really all that you need to know.

The Allison throw was very impressive, but it's (the arm strength) not there as often as it used to be. Especially between 2011-2014 he would have those deep bombs over the middle to Jordy that would take the top off the defense. Maybe part of that is just the route running ability for Jordy to get open, maybe it's that he doesn't have enough mobility anymore or time in the pocket to chuck it that far. It's likely a combination of all of those things but it just felt like it came out harder with the flick of his wrist, at least more so than now.

My problem with Rodgers now as I stated is he is very rarely healthy at a position defenders can barely touch. I know it's a double edge sword with his scrambling ability. Sometimes it leads to big TD's, sometimes it leads too many sacks. He's been the best player in football from 09-16 but him not being able to be on the field or stay healthy enough to play at a high level has bit the Pack in the *** of late. We have always gladly taken the good with the bad with his style of play.

All I'm saying is he went from being a guy you didn't think twice about giving him 30+ mil guaranteed per season to wondering if he'll ever return to be in any MVP conversation the rest of his career because of his injuries. When healthy nobody is stuck with an Aaron Rodgers. When not healthy, that's a different debate. I think 2019 will answer a lot of those questions.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

ats it in a nutshell

You know (hopefully) that I respect and like you, but you really need to take off those Rose tinted glasses bud. I'm seriously beginning to dislike Rodgers with a passion. He is a prima donna and thats it in a nutshell. I'm tired of people saying the TEAM are denying another ring. HE is not doing his job. He thinks he is bigger than the organization and he simply isn't.
Hell, I loathed what Favre became but he at least tried.

Reaction score
I think it’s time to invest in protecting Rodgers. I believe this year had been mainly adverse for him due to losing Jordy (his favorite receiver) and suffering a knee injury in the very first half of the first game.
It’s an absolute fact that we’ve largely emphasized our D since #12 won a SB. We finally moved forward this year where we pick up a solid TE (which we admittedly desperately needed) thenwe go and cut our #2 WR! We tried to hit WR mid rounds out of near desperation. So we know now that trade off obviously didn’t work.
The next 2-3 years needs to be largely a push to rebuild this O through every possible measure. This O needs at minimum 1-2 Offensive FA quality veteran additions and 2-3 more early draft picks (by close of day 2 draft) just to get things started. I’ve been saying this for 4-5 years now.. it’s time to insure this 33M/year investment. I personally want to see 3 quality O lineman added this offseason with minimum 1 being a quality FA Veteran while the rooks develop.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure you were in the same boat of people that were saying this in early 2016 when the Packers were also struggling, right before Rodgers played the greatest 9 game stretch I've ever seen a quarterback play to finish that season.

People were wrong then, and they're going to be proven wrong again.

Well, next season Rodgers will be 3 years older, so it's not as certain they'll be proven wrong.

Also, Rodgers seems to have been in a desperation mindset all year, looking for the home run on almost every play. He needs to get out of that somehow, if he is to return to greatness. Maybe he needs to hire a sports psychologist.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven’t noticed any physical decline with him, more just in terms of accuracy and decision making. I think he’s gotten a little lazy with some of his footwork which is causing some of his throws to be way off. Hopefully a new head coach can come in and fix it. But I don’t think he is done. Look at Brees, he is having one of the best seasons of his career and he’s several years older than Rodgers.

This, he seems to be able to gun the ball as well as I've ever seen, and while a few of his accuracy issues are his penchant for throwing deep balls, there's been multiple occasions the WRs are not breaking to the spot he's anticipating. And furthermore, MM's playbook seems to have lost all creativity when it comes to operating in the red zone. I keep seeing our WRs and TEs get plaster covered down there.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saying something that's been mentioned elsewhere with less traction.

1. His refusal to throw middle.
2. Lack of hurry up offense despite being able to change calls.
3. Less accurate throws than before.
4. Tendancy to put less INT stats above team needs.
5. Perennially less than optimal due to injuries.
6. Refusal for quick throws and prefers the spectacular.

On his day, he's a world beater and best there is...but those days seem far off and long in-between.

Even if TyM had the return in hand, I'm undecided if we could have won. Our offense sucks for reasons more than MM and I think it can't be disputed anymore.

He still is pure best option, but after new contract.... somebody should read his m the book. Winston Moss may be not far wrong, imo.
I’m with ya on 1 through 4. I don’t know that his injury history is a cause for concern, meaning he doesn’t seem prone to injury - although as we all get older, that just becomes a fact of life. And I don’t know if he passes up shorter passes for the home run - IMO that’s a game plan problem.

Anyway, Rodgers has been part of the problem this year, no doubt. And while I’m glad MM and his uncreative game planning are gone, this team’s biggest problem seems to be a simple case of talent shortage. TT’s lame drafts and aversion to FA have contributed to that. The question is how much talent is required to make this a SB contender? Right side of O-line, Safety position, edge rushers, another impact WR. The needs list is too long for my liking.

I have faith that Gluten can fix it. The question then becomes - how quickly? The answer is probably not quick enough for anyone here.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This, he seems to be able to gun the ball as well as I've ever seen, and while a few of his accuracy issues are his penchant for throwing deep balls, there's been multiple occasions the WRs are not breaking to the spot he's anticipating. And furthermore, MM's playbook seems to have lost all creativity when it comes to operating in the red zone. I keep seeing our WRs and TEs get plaster covered down there.
Well put. MM’s playbook has been rinse and repeat since at least 2014. Teams wise up quickly. There is a talent shortage on the team. On the bright side, the young receivers did well and will improve, the D is better than I ever thought it could be (still need safeties and edge rushers), most - but not all - problems are fixable before next year.

I’ve been most disappointed with Graham. I was excited when we landed him, but he really seems to be showing his age. Cook was the last real threat the Pack had at TE, and we let him go becasue $3 mil was too much. Ah well, we have a lot of time now to ponder.........

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if we've seen enough of our young WR to decide if they are keepers or not. My beef with AR is he will throw to Adams regardless of how tight he's covered but won't throw to the young guys. Have they truly been targeted enough? I wouldn't spend a 1st on a WR would rather see it go to the Oline.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well sure Aaron could be part of the problem. This whole sh*t storm is the result of a total system failure.

Injuries all the way around. A defective offensive line. Rodgers having a "down" year....young receivers who aren't being coached up OR don't get the concept of what a fire drill entails. Don't cut off the route and stop, ya dipsh*t, come back to the ball when Aaron is out of the pocket.

Stupid mistakes. Lack of mental toughness and discipline. Our kicker develops a chronic case of noodle leg. Our right tackle is hurt and his back up stands there handing out postcards as defenders run by him.

You all know what the Midas Touch is. This season is textbook Midas Touch in Reverse. Every piece of gold touched turns to s**t.

Predictable play calling? So what? Execute it like men. Win the one-on-one with your guy. Everything else is B.S. excuse making.

Lack of talent? Sure...maybe. It's what happens when you draft way down the friggen line year in and year out for the last 26 years.

The Pack deal with an Aaron Rodgers contract versus rookie QB contract. Prime example, Seahawks kick a** while Russell is on Rookie contract. He gets his and just try to spread money around.

Ah well ... On to week 13, right?
The first sentence of your comment is the best summary of this season I’ve seen. Total sysytem failure.

Some of the glaring problems can be addressed in FA and the draft. But GB is desperately in need of a HC who will 1) come in with a creative, up-to-date-in-the-NFL playbook, and 2) able to command respect and coach. MM lost this team before the season’s first kick off. That led to the total system failure.

As for Rodgers’, he’s had “bad” years before. I’m not concerned about him, as long as he keeps his ego in check. We do NOT need another late-career Favre.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if we've seen enough of our young WR to decide if they are keepers or not. My beef with AR is he will throw to Adams regardless of how tight he's covered but won't throw to the young guys. Have they truly been targeted enough? I wouldn't spend a 1st on a WR would rather see it go to the Oline.
Totally agree. What good is 12 if he’s on his back? Get a starting RG, or RT with the first pick. And PLEASE - dump Jason Spriggs. I’m amazed he could play college ball. His name should be Jason Twigg. Did we draft him in the 2nd round or was that a bad dream. Yikes!

There are plenty of DLs in this draft, so wait for the second pick or 2nd and 3rd rounds. But fixing the right side of the O line would go along way to fixing this Offense.

Finally, get some impact guys in FA. Safety, edge rusher. I don’t know who is available, but go get em. And maybe a veteran WR ala Brandin Cooks to take some heat off Adams. And on that subject, Adams was nothing short of spectacular this year. IMO, this team’s MVP (with honorable mention to Bakhtiari and Linsley).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
still with the playbook. Did you see how many open big plays this offense left on the field again just yesterday against what is considered one of the absolute best defenses in the league? Obvious case of execution vs. play call and what matters and just yesterday. and still people are back on the playbook. on the flip side the Bears almost lost because of trying to be cute and not just letting the guys they pay to do jobs do them.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it’s time to invest in protecting Rodgers. I believe this year had been mainly adverse for him due to losing Jordy (his favorite receiver) and suffering a knee injury in the very first half of the first game.
It’s an absolute fact that we’ve largely emphasized our D since #12 won a SB. We finally moved forward this year where we pick up a solid TE (which we admittedly desperately needed) thenwe go and cut our #2 WR! We tried to hit WR mid rounds out of near desperation. So we know now that trade off obviously didn’t work.
The next 2-3 years needs to be largely a push to rebuild this O through every possible measure. This O needs at minimum 1-2 Offensive FA quality veteran additions and 2-3 more early draft picks (by close of day 2 draft) just to get things started. I’ve been saying this for 4-5 years now.. it’s time to insure this 33M/year investment. I personally want to see 3 quality O lineman added this offseason with minimum 1 being a quality FA Veteran while the rooks develop.
You nailed it. The right side of the O line had the consistency of cheesecloth. Use the first pick on a RG or RT. And as you point out, add some decent depth along the O line. Rodgers was sacked way too much this year.

Finally (and am I the only guy seeing this?) - get rid of Jason Twiggs! I get he was a 2nd (or maybe 3rd) round pick, but he is worse than useless. I’m dumbfounded he made the roster this year. I’m welcome to consider other opinions on Twiggs (maybe he is playing becasue there is no one else). But he just flat out stinks.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You nailed it. The right side of the O line had the consistency of cheesecloth. Use the first pick on a RG or RT. And as you point out, add some decent depth along the O line. Rodgers was sacked way too much this year.

Finally (and am I the only guy seeing this?) - get rid of Jason Twiggs! I get he was a 2nd (or maybe 3rd) round pick, but he is worse than useless. I’m dumbfounded he made the roster this year. I’m welcome to consider other opinions on Twiggs (maybe he is playing becasue there is no one else). But he just flat out stinks.
Name 3 teams that are so flush with OL talent that they can go with 2 backups against one of the top defensive lines in the league and not look bad.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Name 3 teams that are so flush with OL talent that they can go with 2 backups against one of the top defensive lines in the league and not look bad.

And who are these top-notch starters that they replaced? Bell? McRae? Sorry, but I'm not seeing anything close to a valid excuse here.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Well Bulaga can't stay healthy for the life of him so that needs to be factored in as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts