The Aaron Jones 2021 FA thread.

Should the Packers extend Aaron Jones (est. ~11M/season)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read that the Packers latest offer to Jones was " laughable."

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
As much as it hurts to let a good all around RB go -I'm fine with spending a mid round draft pick on a rb every single year and letting them walk at the end of their rookie contact.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think since Ahman Green have we had a RB who's stayed on the team longer than 5 years.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I would have loved to have seen Jones continue his career as a Packer, I am glad that the Packers didn't sink long term, top 5 RB money into him. That said, Packer fans expecting to just replace his output with Dillon or a "3rd round pick" I think are overestimating how easy it will be to reproduce what Jones was for the Packers.

Dean Lowery now takes Jones place as TT's last draft pick that is still on the team. There aren't that many left.

2016 - Clark, Lowery
2014 - Adams
2013 - Bahk
2007 - Crosby
2005 - A-Rod

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read that the Packers latest offer to Jones was " laughable."
I'm guessing this is from Jones' agent, who thinks Aaron can get $14+Mil/yr. (top 4) and maybe more from some team. GB can't & won't pay that for a RB, so while GB's offer may have been "more realistic" some team is going to drive the Brinks truck to his home.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the tweet said more than 9 million which would seem to indicate no more than 10 million, which would be about 4 million or so a year or less than his rumored to be offered

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought I heard the money was right but the portion that was guaranteed was in dispute. They would have franchised him at $9M if the market was $14M, I would think.

I hate too loose him, great player and a great person. But we probably should spend the money elsewhere and rely on a draft pick, Williams (maybe), and Dillon going forward.

I think RB is very important to MLF and I expect at least a 4th round pick to go to a RB. Especially if we lose Williams.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm guessing this is from Jones' agent, who thinks Aaron can get $14+Mil/yr. (top 4) and maybe more from some team. GB can't & won't pay that for a RB, so while GB's offer may have been "more realistic" some team is going to drive the Brinks truck to his home.

If Jones ends up getting around $14M/year, then I would say whomever tagged the Packers offer of $9M as "laughable" was probably right, at least for now. If Jones doesn't live up to his new contract, than the Packers will have the last laugh. In either case, Jones is about to become just another very wealthy NFL Millionaire.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is unfortunate that this is the year Jones is up for FA. We are so tight against the cap we really couldn't compensate him. I hope Gute tries to find another RB gem like him next month in the later rounds.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

source was yardbarker on the laughable part source on the 9 million was ian rapoport...I saw it too supposedly they have offered over 9 million per which is the offer that was called laughable. If true that completely contradicts the 12 m per rumor that jones turned down because of lack of guarantees. Supposedly they are gonna still try to negotiate with him prior to the 15th but idk why you wouldn't give yourself the most leverage possible by tagging him at such a reasonable number despite the cap it doesn't strike me as good business and certainly not win now...

bottomline on Jones: hes been good for 5.65 yards per touch and a touchdown every 19 touches since entering the league while fumbling just once every 130 touches over 782 total appearing in 54 of a possible 64 games...not sure thats gonna be as easy to replace as people realize

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

In the end I hope they tag him because while it would count against the cap, pro-rated, so they get a little back every game he misses til 10th game or something when they'd get the lump sum remaining back.

It was the right decision not to tag Jones if they believed he would hold out in that scenario. The Packers can't afford to save $8 million of cap space for a player not wanting to show up.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
source was yardbarker on the laughable part source on the 9 million was ian rapoport...I saw it too supposedly they have offered over 9 million per which is the offer that was called laughable. If true that completely contradicts the 12 m per rumor that jones turned down because of lack of guarantees. Supposedly they are gonna still try to negotiate with him prior to the 15th but idk why you wouldn't give yourself the most leverage possible by tagging him at such a reasonable number despite the cap it doesn't strike me as good business and certainly not win now...

bottomline on Jones: hes been good for 5.65 yards per touch and a touchdown every 19 touches since entering the league while fumbling just once every 130 touches over 782 total appearing in 54 of a possible 64 games...not sure thats gonna be as easy to replace as people realize

They’re probably hoping the market isn’t strong. If it is, I would bet they’re fine with him moving on.

They’ll re-sign him at the money they want, and if he says no, then they move on. If they tag him, that’s $8 million against the cap. With an extension, they could push that money further down the line rather than all in 2021 with a small Cap space.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he gets 14 million per. Good for him, Good for us with comp formula if it comes into play and likely buyers remorse in a season or 2 for the new team.

His production won't be easy to replace, but I think we have other ways within the offense to replace production and keep on moving. It will just look different.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
all these "I'm guessing", "I heard", "I think", "I don't think", "I thought I heard", "If" times 1000.......correct me if I am wrong, but Packers can negotiate with him until Monday?

I am guessing and I heard, that you are most likely right, at least I think so.

D

Deleted member 6794

all these "I'm guessing", "I heard", "I think", "I don't think", "I thought I heard", "If" times 1000.......correct me if I am wrong, but Packers can negotiate with him until Monday?

Actually the Packers can negotiate with him as long as he hasn't signed with another team, which he can't do until Wednesday next week.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I am guessing and I heard, that you are most likely right, at least I think so.

Sounds like the Mans Prayer from the Red Green Show - I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

I just don't see some team wanting to give a RB a bunch of guaranteed money but it only takes one. The offer the Packers gave him in the spring may start looking awfully good once free agency begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts