The 96th annual Amish Mafia Draft Contest

H

HardRightEdge

This is hard. Like actually doing the job of a scout i imagine...
Once you switch off the dream machine and turn a cold eye to the realities on the ground, yes, it does get very hard.

Actually, this contest as constructed differs quite a bit from sitting in a scout's or the the GM's seat.

First, we're trying to predict who will still be on the board at each pick, which gets progressively harder as you move through the rounds. The GM's perspective is entirely different as he works with the immediate knowns with each pick.

Given the increasing uncertainties for us in terms of who will be on the board as we move down through the picks, it makes sense to me to allocate more picks to the upper rounds to try to snag 3 points on the name and maybe 1 or 2 points for getting the round right.

Throwing in a long shot (like I did with Adjai in the 3rd.) has some merit I believe. While it's unlikely he'll last that long, without getting into the reasons, there's a chance he will and there are several reasons to believe Thompson will take a RB somewhere in the top 5 rounds. It's kind of like seeing a horse going off at 20-1 that you think deserves an 8-1 proposition, and putting that horse in a trifecta wheel bet. That's a far cry from playing GM.

I've got a couple of other reverse-reach picks...guys who are probably not going to be on the board, who have some chance of falling, who would have hard-to-resist value at that point in the draft at a position of need.

Another fact to consider is the Packers three 6th. round picks. With so many players that could go anywhere on day 3, it behooves you to go light on 5th. and 7th. round picks and add some extra names in the 6th. It's possible pick trades will change that equation, but nobody could predict that.

That said, I have low expectations for my final results. But I see it like one of those stock picking contests...you have no chance of winning without hitting on a long shot or two even if you'd never be inclined to do that with real money.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Another fact to consider is the Packers three 6th. round picks. With so many players that could go anywhere on day 3, it behooves you to go light on 5th. and 7th. round picks and add some extra names in the 6th. It's possible pick trades will change that equation, but nobody could predict that.

Teams can't trade compensatory picks so the Packers will for sure have two selections in the 6th round.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The biggest challenge I have is guessing on trading out of the first into the top of the second. Different players to list than the end of the round. Same with rounds 2 + 3. Rounds 4+ has roughly same players at top and bottom of the round.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Good point. In the realm of the knowns, that's not insignificant.
True, that's why I gave some consideration to picking 10-14 six round picks. Though I would not be at all surprised to see Thompson trade his original sixth and fifth for a late fourth or early fifth to use on a guy he likes that has fallen too far in his eyes.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The picking part is "easy", 20 players out of a list of what.....240-400 players that might be drafted......I'm just waiting for Amish to post the Prize list. :coffee:

Last edited:
OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has Amish announced where the Draft party is and what is he serving?
Brother Zebakiah's chicken coop. Fresh eggs will be served, real fresh. From there we can see jnto his neighbors house with the big screen TV and no drapes. Prize will be 1,000 doll hairs. Wait, that only works if I say it verbally.

The Witt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 Jordan Phillips DT
1 Kevin Johnson CB
1 Eddie Goldman DT
2 Carl Davis DT
2 Ronald Darby CB
3 Hau'oli Kikaha OLB
3 Paul Dawson ILB
3 Stephone Anthony ILB
4 Ty Sambrailo OT
4 Rob Havenstein OT
5 Nick O'leary TE
5 Ben Koyack TE
6 Connor Halliday QB
6 Bryan Bennett QB
6 Ross Scheuerman RB
6 Jonathan Crockett RB
6 Dezmin Lewis WR
6 Austin Hill WR
7 Rashard Cliett ILB
7 Ramik Wilson ILB

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I may be mistaken......but I think we all whiffed on Round 1....let's hope TT didn't also~ :coffee:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I may be mistaken......but I think we all whiffed on Round 1....let's hope TT didn't also~ :coffee:
Shocking, aint it?
We are a sorry bunch of GM prognosticators.
I'm just glad I picked only the mandatory 1 first round slot and I still have all 20 of my guys left. I'm banking heavily on round 6.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Shocking, aint it?
We are a sorry bunch of GM prognosticators.
I'm just glad I picked only the mandatory 1 first round slot and I still have all 20 of my guys left. I'm banking heavily on round 6.

TT usually doesn't follow the "norm" that is for sure, which is why following his draft is fun, frustrating and eye opening. I trust he knows what he is doing and see his first pick as one for current depth, future potential and possibly instant help on the return unit.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Back the truck up........don't I get points for my "Won't Be Drafted by Packers" declaration of Melvin Gordon? :coffee:

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 people have quinten. 3 in round 2. Me in round 3.

Heard them talking about him on NFL radio and i thought he sounded like a TT pick

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me: 13 pts (Rollins 3pts/Ryan 3+4/Montgommery 3)
Wimm: 3 (Montgommery 3)
HardRightEdge: 0
PikeBadger: 0
Teamtundra: 12 (Rollins 3+2/Ryan 3+4)
Luca: 5 (Rollins 3+2)
PokerBrat2000: 8 (Rollins 3+2/Ryan 3)
Packerboy95: 0
Eli Haugen: 0
MiamiBeachPackerFan: 3 (Ryan)
The Wit: 0

If I missed any picks, please let me know.