The 2019 Dantés Draft Thread

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I wouldn’t put it past Gute to trade up ahead of Detroit for a player like D. White. Having a guy that Martinez plays second fiddle to would instantly change our Run Defense. Add that to the mix and resign Mo (if he’s fully recovered) and then go out and find a solid veteran Safety that specializes in run pursuit and Blitz packages. That begins to turn the tide on slowing down the run, which in turn forces teams to go vertical and challenge Alexander, Breeland (provided we resign) King or Jackson.
I also think we will see one of the other.. King or Jackson hit their stride this year.
If somewhere in the mix we add another capable pass rusher that can get in the 8-10 sack range we suddenly look like a completely different D.

As much as I like White I believe the Packers have too many other glarring needs to jepordize there overall postion on the draft board by trading up to get White. The window of getting an elite ILB has kind of closed with more pressing immediate needs. I say that with one caveat and that is if Gute is to land Earl Thomas which then I could make a better "buy in position" on pulling the trigger too move up to get White.

Unless some huge red flag comes up I see no way possible he makes it to pick no. 12.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  • David Edwards OT: 6'7" 305#'s
  • Beau Benzschawel: OG 6' 5" 317
  • Michael Deiter: OL 6'6" 310
Edwards is rated highest of the 3, but I prefer Dieter if I had to pick one. He has played all 3 line positions but is projected to be best at G.

Guess I'm just being argumentative, but I actually have it the opposite way:

Deiter(1st-2nd)
Benzschawel(2nd-3rd)
Edwards(3rd-5th)

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not saying a wr isn't needed but at 12 i don't see it with the defense still being the weak side of the ball. and besides, why add to rodgers list of untrusted guys he's not comfortable throwing to?

All I'm saying is if a WR is the BPA at #12, take him. I don't think that will be the case but we could definitely use another exceptional wideout to pair with Devante. Obviously there are even greater needs: OLB, OL, TE and Safety.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've only seen Deionte Thompson play in one game and that was his last game against Clemson. He looked terrible, but so did most of the Alabama defense that night. Probably won't cost him too much, but with only one year of starting under his belt and playing for a Powerhouse like Alabama, I still would be cautious about using the #12 pick on him. Plus, I would prefer going after a veteran at Safety in Free Agency and use the first rounder on the best EDGE player available. Maybe Safety in Rd. 2 or 3.

Agree, free agent safety, and move Josh Jackson there as well.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there's no doubt he's one of, but not the, most talented. while still very good, 2010 rodgers, even 2014 rodgers, are long gone. quite a few QB's had better years than rodgers. i'm not anti-rodgers. i'm anti rodgers contract numbers, anti Packers capitulation to his diva-ness, but most of all...i'm anti Packers mediocrity. they're stuck right now in NFL purgatory.

I agree. Rodgers appears to be past his prime. Which is ok, we just need to put more playmakers around him and realize that he won't win games by himself anymore. A strong run game will help - it certainly has helped Brady, Goff, etc.

Given the choice, I would take Mahomes for sure over Rodgers. Luck maybe. Everyone else is likely a no for me. Boy did the organization waste Rodgers talent.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if there was good news on Cole Madison, we would have heard it. Even if he does decide to play football in 2019, a 24 year old 5th rounder who sat out a year, I'm not going to get too excited about him, nor should he change the view of what is still needed on the OL.

I tried to look up some updates on Cole. It seems as though he might have been extremely close to the suicide of his college teammate. If you connect some of the dots in appears that the teammate took one of his teammates hunting rifles without their knowledge. Cole is said to be an avid hunter. 2 teammates found him. If he found him and then found that he took his firearm it could be quite a while before he is able to process all of that and get right mentally.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Guess I'm just being argumentative, but I actually have it the opposite way:

Deiter(1st-2nd)
Benzschawel(2nd-3rd)
Edwards(3rd-5th)
I didn't place the 3 guys in any particular order that I thought they would be drafted in, but most boards I have seen have it Edwards-Dieter-Benzschawel, but who knows. In any case, I would prefer Dieter and I think there is a slight chance he is still around when we pick in the 3rd. He would be your RG and be a very good back up at a T or the C position.

For what its worth:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/24/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-michael-deiter/

Reaction score
I wonder if Cole Madison finally shows up this year
I just read an article that I believe was written just weeks before Tyler Hilinski took his own life.
It’s a bit of a read but it makes much more sense now.
Cole Madison was Tyler Hilinski s mentor. I think these two were extremely close friends and Cole was like a big brother to Ty. Ty idolized Cole Madison. This makes complete sense now. I feel bad for joking about Cole’s absence, that must’ve entirely crushed him.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/aug/27/washington-state-backup-qb-taking-his-cues-from-a-/?amp-content=amp

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YES!!!! james is a cornerstone of a defense....and will be in the pro bowl for many years to come. Gute missed him big time, Alexander is fine..but josh jackson is simply terrible. Gute missed on Burks also terrible...and to top it off Gute missed on Graham too. everyone loves Gute due to how bad TT was ...not me..he missed quite a bit is first year.

I'll wait 2 more years before I pass judgement.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The young guys are still what we thought earlier. Could be, might be, have looked good at times, but there's been a whole lotta nothing in between. MVS started better than he's finished. EQ didn't have many opportunities early, but he's shown some stuff here recently. But in the end, none of them are giving me a lot think they're going to make some sort of jump this offseason.

They certainly aren't proven players we can rely on for sure. Man, we need a good tight end and probably another receiver, plus about 9 other needs.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think i figured out Gute first round move this year. He making a deal with Redskins who sit at 15 needing a QB. Right behind us is Dolphins at 13 needing a QB. Gute gonna slide back to 15 and get the Redskins 2nd rounder...thus Redskins leap frog dolphins. its perfect. We get a second and just move back one non QB spot at 15.....Do IT.

That's an interesting idea.

They might also trade out of the back of round 1 into the top of round 2 with someone who is looking to grab a 5th year option player.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see a way possible White makes it to 12 but we are early in the process. I've seen him as high as the 4th best prospect available overall.
I will be surprised if he makes it past Cinci at 11. But there are a bunch of players I see at or very near his level. If teams place a greater emphasis on edge QB pressure, White will score lower than the Pettine led defense. In other words, he is more valuable to the Packers and we should score him higher than other teams.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's an interesting idea.

They might also trade out of the back of round 1 into the top of round 2 with someone who is looking to grab a 5th year option player.

Yeah I wouldn't be against either or both of those scenarios depending on whose available when they're on the clock

D

Deleted member 6794

And how long did we have Janis? :D

His versatility could have been used in so many innovative playes, what MM could never dream about.

I guess McCarthy was right about Janis as he hasn't been able to get a job with another team though.

Add that to the mix and resign Mo (if he’s fully recovered) and then go out and find a solid veteran Safety that specializes in run pursuit and Blitz packages.

The Packers desperately need a veteran free safety.

there's no doubt he's one of, but not the, most talented. while still very good, 2010 rodgers, even 2014 rodgers, are long gone.

Rodgers is still an elite quarterback, hopefully you will realize that next season as well.

All I'm saying is if a WR is the BPA at #12, take him. I don't think that will be the case but we could definitely use another exceptional wideout to pair with Devante. Obviously there are even greater needs: OLB, OL, TE and Safety.

In my opinion adding another wide receiver is more important than to improve the tight end position.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is still an elite quarterback, hopefully you will realize that next season as well.
i've never not realized that...but i'm not going to deny the reality that the Packers seriously erred in overpaying him which keeps their near future in the meh zone, either. i'd love to surprised by them but i don't think it's going to happen.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
i've never not realized that...but i'm not going to deny the reality that the Packers seriously erred in overpaying him which keeps their near future in meh zone, either. i'd love to surprised by them but i don't think it's going to happen.

While I would agree that Rodgers got overpaid, but I think that about pretty much every player in Professional sports. The Packers had 2 choices, pay him or trade him. They chose to pay him an agreed upon amount based on the market at the time. Only thing I would have liked to have seen done differently, was waiting until now to resign him, but I don't think Rodgers wanted to wait any longer. Not really sure how his contract would look today if they had waited, probably not a lot different. But I imagine the "trade Rodgers" talks would be really heated up in here.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Rodgers still showed he can make "all the throws" and played through a significant injury so I'm not worried at all. Everything I have heard around here is getting "back to basics" with Rodgers welcoming getting "coached hard". Change can be good as well as neccessary so the focus should be getting Rodgers the weapons needed to be successful.

As far as i'm concerned Rodgers got paid what he was worth having to overcome Thomspons failed personel moves and McCarthy's stale offensive scheme.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I will be surprised if he makes it past Cinci at 11. But there are a bunch of players I see at or very near his level. If teams place a greater emphasis on edge QB pressure, White will score lower than the Pettine led defense. In other words, he is more valuable to the Packers and we should score him higher than other teams.

Precisely why I wanted the Packers to sign Demario Davis last offseason.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It normally takes tight ends some time to adjust to the NFL. Therefore I would rather prefer the Packers to use their first round picks on different positions.
Problem with that approach is that TE's taken in later rounds take longer than those taken in early rounds, if they ever make it.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem with that approach is that TE's taken in later rounds take longer than those taken in early rounds, if they ever make it.

Agreed, Hunter Henry (who many exptected would have a breakout season last year) has taken multiple seasons despite being a first round pick.

Engram had a good rookie season - but largely benefited from significant volume with ODB injured.

OJ Howard didn't do much.

Hayden Hurst didn't do anything this year.

David Njoku had some moments this year but did nada his first year.

The vast majority of these first round TE's contribute little for a long time. For a team in win now mode I'd suggest we look at free agent TE's and seek out a bargain contract (Eifert) or trade for Brate.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
crap shoot no matter how you dice it up. Sign a top FA like Graham, Bennett or Cook and you get mixed results. Draft a guy high and who knows. The 2 TE's out of Iowa (Fant and Hockenson) are worth looking at, but neither is the sure thing.

Everyone remembers Jermichael Finley, who is still only 31, which shocked me. Most remember Finley in a positive way, but he had his drops and if you look at his numbers, really not overly impressive, nor that much different than Grahams this year.

Graham is under contract, I prefer just sticking to him as your starter, knowing he won't be a 1000 yard guy, but will probably put up better numbers his second year with Rodgers, if the offense is better than it was this year.

Draft a guy late, sign an UDFA and develop for the future.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would agree that Rodgers got overpaid, but I think that about pretty much every player in Professional sports. The Packers had 2 choices, pay him or trade him. They chose to pay him an agreed upon amount based on the market at the time. Only thing I would have liked to have seen done differently, was waiting until now to resign him, but I don't think Rodgers wanted to wait any longer. Not really sure how his contract would look today if they had waited, probably not a lot different. But I imagine the "trade Rodgers" talks would be really heated up in here.
there was a third choice...pay what the other 35+ year old qb's are making, and yes...waiting until now would have been much more prudent. 33.5 would have laughed at. utterly dumbfounded. if he didn't want to wait, tough. that's the capitulation i mentioned.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they can also see what they have in Tonyan rather than draft anyone if they keep Graham.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
there was a third choice...pay what the other 35+ year old qb's are making, and yes...waiting until now would have been much more prudent. 33.5 would have laughed at. utterly dumbfounded. if he didn't want to wait, tough. that's the capitulation i mentioned.
I was an advocate for waiting until now to resign him, but the Packers didn't see it that way and I think Rodgers made it perfectly clear he wouldn't be happy about waiting that long. Was kind of a no brainer to me to wait, think he still had 2 years on his old contract, all the big names had been signed, so it wasn't like the market rate was going to go up again drastically. Throw in his shoulder and just the fact that to me "a contract is a contract" and waiting would have been nice.

But you have to remember on price, its a 2 way street. The Packers probably would have love to sign him for less and Rodgers would have loved more, they probably settled somewhere in the middle. Considering what some teams are paying for a lot less of a QB, I am still fine with the deal.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
crap shoot no matter how you dice it up. Sign a top FA like Graham, Bennett or Cook and you get mixed results. Draft a guy high and who knows. The 2 TE's out of Iowa (Fant and Hockenson) are worth looking at, but neither is the sure thing.

Everyone remembers Jermichael Finley, who is still only 31, which shocked me. Most remember Finley in a positive way, but he had his drops and if you look at his numbers, really not overly impressive, nor that much different than Grahams this year.

Graham is under contract, I prefer just sticking to him as your starter, knowing he won't be a 1000 yard guy, but will probably put up better numbers his second year with Rodgers, if the offense is better than it was this year.

Draft a guy late, sign an UDFA and develop for the future.

Agreed, its gonna be too much dead $ to let Graham walk and then replace so best just to ride it out and hope he builds more chemistry with Rodgers and the new coordinator. There are far more pressing needs and the Packers have won with Richard Rodgers at TE so it's the least of our worries.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts