The 2019 Dantés Draft Thread

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This Penny Hart that the Packers were talking to is interesting. He's a small school guy (Georgia State) and is himself small (5'8" 180 lbs). He's not the type that the Packers would traditionally consider.

But he was probably the fastest player at the Senior Bowl, and showed off some polished, explosive route running.

2018: 49/669/2 (13.7 YPR)

2017: 74/1121/9 (15.2 YPR)

2016: 8/61/1 (hamstring cost him a couple games early and when he came back, he broke his foot)

2015: 71/1099/8 (15.5 YPR)

Normally you'd expect to see a step forward in production in a player's final season, but GSU's passing game really took a step back in production. Their QB in 2017 (Conner Manning) threw for 3146 yards, while the new QB in 2018 (Dan Ellington) only threw for 2119.

What makes him especially intriguing is the GSU let him get some play in the punt return game this last season, and the results were impressive (they probably did it specifically to help his draft stock). He only returned 9 punts, but for a total of 158 return yards, with a touchdown (that's 17.6 yds per return).

Given that he was their top receiver by a wide margin the moment he stepped foot on the field as a freshmen, it makes sense that they chose not to expose him to injury in the punt return game. But he profiles as a perfect type of athlete for that role, and proved this most recent season that he could do it.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Watching Hart, he reminds me of Jamison Crowder. He doesn't quite play with his hair on fire the way that Crowder did at Duke, but he's probably faster.

But similar to Crowder, he plays big and physical despite being a smaller player. On pick plays or run blocking opportunities, he really lays into the opponent. He has the YAC skills to win in the short game, but he also really tracks the ball well down the field.

His size might never allow him to be more than a 4th WR, but with the ST skills he's an interesting prospect.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Penny Hart that the Packers were talking to is interesting. He's a small school guy (Georgia State) and is himself small (5'8" 180 lbs). He's not the type that the Packers would traditionally consider.

But he was probably the fastest player at the Senior Bowl, and showed off some polished, explosive route running.

2016: 8/61/1 (hamstring cost him a couple games early and when he came back, he broke his foot)

Normally you'd expect to see a step forward in production in a player's final season, but GSU's passing game really took a step back in production. Their QB in 2017 (Conner Manning) threw for 3146 yards, while the new QB in 2018 (Dan Ellington) only threw for 2119.

What makes him especially intriguing is the GSU let him get some play in the punt return game this last season, and the results were impressive (they probably did it specifically to help his draft stock). He only returned 9 punts, but for a total of 158 return yards, with a touchdown (that's 17.6 yds per return).

Given that he was their top receiver by a wide margin the moment he stepped foot on the field as a freshmen, it makes sense that they chose not to expose him to injury in the punt return game. But he profiles as a perfect type of athlete for that role, and proved this most recent season that he could do it.

Yeah I like dude he's exactly the type of player the offense has been lacking. An explosive guy to put pressure on the defense from the slot and on returns. I honestly can't even remember the Packers last kick return td or punt for that matter. I guess I know I watched Micah Hyde return kick for a td against the Vikings but that was at the old Metrodome which has been gone for like 5 years

H

HardRightEdge

Add him to the moneyball list of small slot receivers that the NFL never seems to value very highly in the draft.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Add him to the moneyball list of small slot receivers that the NFL never seems to value very highly in the draft.

He would be a good target if they decided to address the immediate need with an older player on a short deal (I.e. Cobb or Tate).

If they don't bring in a veteran, a higher end prospect like Deebo Samuel would make more sense.

Reaction score
He would be a good target if they decided to address the immediate need with an older player on a short deal (I.e. Cobb or Tate).

If they don't bring in a veteran, a higher end prospect like Deebo Samuel would make more sense.
What fits there also is that It would show a true dedication to that phase (ST) to make it a strength again.

H

HardRightEdge

I wouldn't be too keen on drafting a WR at where some are ******* Samuel, whether a vet slot is signed or not.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like in the second round wrs dk Metcalf, Parris Campbell, aj brown, Riley Ridley, nkeal Harry, marquise brown. that is if they make it to the second round.

The ones I really like are Ridley I think he has true traditional west coast number one wr potential. He looks a lot like davantae on the field to me. And Campbell I think he could adequetly replace Cobbs role and add an extra dimension to what Cobb did true speed. If lafleur wants to run that outside zone that shannahan loves I think Campbell could be a beast on that and he caught a lot of balls out of the backfield at Ohio State as well.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I like in the second round wrs dk Metcalf, Parris Campbell, aj brown, Riley Ridley, nkeal Harry, marquise brown. that is if they make it to the second round.

The ones I really like are Ridley I think he has true traditional west coast number one wr potential. He looks a lot like davantae on the field to me. And Campbell I think he could adequetly replace Cobbs role and add an extra dimension to what Cobb did true speed. If lafleur wants to run that outside zone that shannahan loves I think Campbell could be a beast on that and he caught a lot of balls out of the backfield at Ohio State as well.

Yeah, remember when McCarthy tried the jet sweep to Cobb on 4th down last year? Lol.

Let's get someone that can actually make it work.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Because there are more acute needs pending what gets done in free agency.

That is being debated and things could change but personally have WR as a glarring need. Plus Cobb is as good as gone.

With that said the free agent class(after teams re-sign and franchise there guys) is gonna be pretty weak overall. There will be a surplus of close too and 30yo players looking for there 3rd contract which is usually the bad contract being available.

I'm starting to believe this is gonna be closer to a two year fix which means we should get the receiver now.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I've basically gotten through the top edge players at this point. I could probably put in a game or two more on any of them, but I've gotten a gloss at least. My opinions are subject to tweaks with the combine, as I think measurables matter at edge rusher more than most positions.

Nick Bosa: Super good and unrealistic.

Rashan Gary: Everything about Gary is rare. His movement skills, coordination, and explosion at his size are, indeed, freaky. That's a term that's overused in draft season, but it certainly applies to Gary. I'd draft him at #12 to replace Perry in a heartbeat.

Josh Allen: Allen has explosive movement skills as a blitzer and is really impressive in coverage. He could be a versatile weapon in a Pettine defense that likes to disguise. I don't really see skills to be a one-on-one edge rush winner down in and down out. I read about people commenting on his ability to bend, but I haven't seen it. Maybe I haven't found the right games.

Clelin Ferrell: Ferrell's combination of length and power is impressive. He doesn't have the pure speed to race around the outside of an OT, but he gets to the QB in a number of ways. He's more advanced in his approach than most of the edge rushers in this class.

Montez Sweat: Sweat possesses crazy long arms and makes his money with them, but I see nothing on tape to suggest a move to 3-4 OLB in a Pettine defense. He's strictly a down player on tape, and when he can't win with length, he doesn't win much at all. He might be in consideration later on in the draft, but shouldn't be a target at #12.

Jachai Polite: Polite wasn't quite as bad a run defender as I expected based on what I had heard, but he's still too much of a liability in that regard to take as high as the Packers pick. He might be the top guy you want on 3rd and 10, but he'd be relatively easy for an offense like the Rams or Patriots to attack (i.e. teams that run and pass effectively out of the same personnel).

Brian Burns: Burns is an impressive mover and a skilled pass rusher, but he's listed at 6'5" 235 lbs and absolutely looks it. He's rail thin, especially in his lower half. He's going to have to add on a lot of functional weight. He kind of reminds me of Aaron Maybin, but even lighter.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I've basically gotten through the top edge players at this point. I could probably put in a game or two more on any of them, but I've gotten a gloss at least. My opinions are subject to tweaks with the combine, as I think measurables matter at edge rusher more than most positions.

Nick Bosa: Super good and unrealistic.

Rashan Gary: Everything about Gary is rare. His movement skills, coordination, and explosion at his size are, indeed, freaky. That's a term that's overused in draft season, but it certainly applies to Gary. I'd draft him at #12 to replace Perry in a heartbeat.

Josh Allen: Allen has explosive movement skills as a blitzer and is really impressive in coverage. He could be a versatile weapon in a Pettine defense that likes to disguise. I don't really see skills to be a one-on-one edge rush winner down in and down out. I read about people commenting on his ability to bend, but I haven't seen it. Maybe I haven't found the right games.

Clelin Ferrell: Ferrell's combination of length and power is impressive. He doesn't have the pure speed to race around the outside of an OT, but he gets to the QB in a number of ways. He's more advanced in his approach than most of the edge rushers in this class.

Montez Sweat: Sweat possesses crazy long arms and makes his money with them, but I see nothing on tape to suggest a move to 3-4 OLB in a Pettine defense. He's strictly a down player on tape, and when he can't win with length, he doesn't win much at all. He might be in consideration later on in the draft, but shouldn't be a target at #12.

Jachai Polite: Polite wasn't quite as bad a run defender as I expected based on what I had heard, but he's still too much of a liability in that regard to take as high as the Packers pick. He might be the top guy you want on 3rd and 10, but he'd be relatively easy for an offense like the Rams or Patriots to attack (i.e. teams that run and pass effectively out of the same personnel).

Brian Burns: Burns is an impressive mover and a skilled pass rusher, but he's listed at 6'5" 235 lbs and absolutely looks it. He's rail thin, especially in his lower half. He's going to have to add on a lot of functional weight. He kind of reminds me of Aaron Maybin, but even lighter.

I'm pretty much on point with all that which is why I keep saying we will be reaching for an edge at 12 based on what will be available.

Ferrell would be the closest thing at 12 but he is not a dynamic pass rusher and is more of a jack of all trades. I didnt want Ferrell last year when he was thought to come out and I'm 50/50 on him this year. I just feel like we will be settling and we are in no position to settle for anything right now.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm pretty much on point with all that which is why I keep saying we will be reaching for an edge at 12 based on what will be available.

Ferrell would be the closest thing at 12 but he is not a dynamic pass rusher and is more of a jack of all trades. I didnt want Ferrell last year when he was thought to come out and I'm 50/50 on him this year. I just feel like we will be settling and we are in no position to settle for anything right now.

Ferrell would be the last one I'd consider at #12 at this point, and I have watched players that I prefer to him as well.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Ferrell would be the last one I'd consider at #12 at this point, and I have watched players that I prefer to him as well.

What do you mean? Polite is a pure situational pass rusher. Burns plays in a weird scheme at FSU and doesn't really fit what we need. Weve already talked about Sweat. Bosa, Gary and Allen will all be off the board so which one do you want at 12?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What do you mean? Polite is a pure situational pass rusher. Burns plays in a weird scheme at FSU and doesn't really fit what we need. Weve already talked about Sweat. Bosa, Gary and Allen will all be off the board so which one do you want at 12?

Ferrell on up (in my list) are the ones I'd want or at least consider.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Ferrell on up (in my list) are the ones I'd want or at least consider.

Okay, now I understand. Ferrell is most likely gonna be the only one available and thats why I have been Edge hesitant at 12 and potentially reach just to fill a need.

If D. White is available I don't know how they could pass him up for Ferrell. I'd take Wilkins over Ferrell too. Trading back appears to be maybe the best play.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
On Josh Allen and the bend around the edge-- I found it. He can do it. I just didn't watch the right games apparently. He's better than I gave him credit for.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I've watched 10 prospects, aside from a bit of Bosa and Williams. After reviewing more Josh Allen, this is how I stack them so far.
  1. Josh Allen, ED, Kentucky
  2. Rashan Gary, ED, Michigan
  3. Jonah Williams, OL, Alabama
  4. Ed Oliver, iDL, Houston
  5. Devin White, LB, LSU
  6. T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
  7. Clelin Ferrell, ED, Clemson
  8. Jachai Polite, ED, Florida
  9. Montez Sweat, ED, MSU
  10. Brian Burns, ED, FSU

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I've watched 10 prospects, aside from a bit of Bosa and Williams. After reviewing more Josh Allen, this is how I stack them so far.
  5. Devin White, LB, LSU
  9. Montez Sweat, ED, MSU
  10. Brian Burns, ED, FSU

Oliver might be a little high there. He is lighter then thought and might not provide enough pass rush to label him that high on the list.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  5. Devin White, LB, LSU
  9. Montez Sweat, ED, MSU
  10. Brian Burns, ED, FSU

I absolutely do not understand having Gary over Oliver. Oliver has had a year that was as productive as Gary's career!

Gary is a speciman, but he hasn't produced like it. I just don't see it, personally. And when I hear reports that he wants to play on the edge instead of inside, it makes me less inclined to like him.

Btw, the Josh Allen tape against Penn State is top notch stuff if you haven't watched it.

Brian Burns is going to weigh in at 245-250, and then you'll want him. He's a stud.

I think my top wants at 12 are Q Williams, Oliver, and J Williams. Day 1 studs.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I absolutely do not understand having Gary over Oliver. Oliver has had a year that was as productive as Gary's career!

Gary is a speciman, but he hasn't produced like it. I just don't see it, personally. And when I hear reports that he wants to play on the edge instead of inside, it makes me less inclined to like him.

Btw, the Josh Allen tape against Penn State is top notch stuff if you haven't watched it.

Brian Burns is going to weigh in at 245-250, and then you'll want him. He's a stud.

I think my top wants at 12 are Q Williams, Oliver, and J Williams. Day 1 studs.

I'm super high on Gary's traits. He's an edge for me.

That said, I'm splitting hairs with him and Oliver. The latter would be fantastic.

Members online

Latest posts