Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked at all to hear that this was actually TT's idea. He knew his time was running out as GM and for the good of the team and maybe his "part time career", he took the lead on saying "maybe it's best for the team if I step down, hand the reins over to XXXXXXX and stay on in an advisory position until it looks like I am no longer needed."

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
TT is an old Wiley Scout that is being put out to the pasture to go scout teams like Saginaw State when he feels like it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. I don't believe much if anything McGinn reports.
I question why would a reporter go out on a limb with a issue like that? If it wasn't true..

I haven't heard of any thing from the board.. So I can't say.. But in Nov of 16 I heard Ted was thinking of stepping down..

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I question why would a reporter go out on a limb with a issue like that? If it wasn't true..

I haven't heard of any thing from the board.. So I can't say.. But in Nov of 16 I heard Ted was thinking of stepping down..
Well if it's not true... he is still not really risking much.... he says it's true... Murphy says it's not. Anybody that wants to believe McGinn will just say that Murphy is covering up etc.... As for why he would do it? Who knows... maybe it's true... or maybe he just wants attention... or maybe he hates Ted Thompson.., or maybe.....

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

Well, I heard that the guy who will replace Ted is thinking of eventually stepping down, too, some day.

Mark it as the first to hear this: Jan. 2, 2018, Post #186 in this thread.

:p

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I heard that the guy who will replace Ted is thinking of eventually stepping down, too, some day.

Mark it as the first to hear this: Jan. 2, 2018, Post #186 in this thread.

:p

My point was this.

It was already been discussed over a year ago..it was even reported by Ian Rappaport? A Week after I made the comment..

So I have a hard time believing the board told Mark to fire him. In fact in the interview Mark mentioned how they had the discussion over a year ago..

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, could I just say right now a big NO to Russ Ball? He's a good negotiator and should keep that role but I feel as a GM he would be TT without the scouting experience.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked at all to hear that this was actually TT's idea. He knew his time was running out as GM and for the good of the team and maybe his "part time career", he took the lead on saying "maybe it's best for the team if I step down, hand the reins over to XXXXXXX and stay on in an advisory position until it looks like I am no longer needed."

Sounds like it. TT echoed the sentiments that he was a scout at heart, which ultimately helped the decision to search for a new GM.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...-thompson-into-senior-advisor-role/995884001/

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
BTW, could I just say right now a big NO to Russ Ball? He's a good negotiator and should keep that role but I feel as a GM he would be TT 2.0.
He has many responsibilities with the team..

He isn't a scout, so what does the team value?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson will report to the new GM, which the team is working with headhunter Jed Hughes of Korn Ferry to find.

Why would they need to hire a headhunter if they were just going to promote an in-house guy?

Murphy also said “We’re going to have a lot of strong candidates across the league.” Sounds like they are looking for an outside guy.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would they need to hire a headhunter if they were just going to promote an in-house guy?

Murphy also said “We’re going to have a lot of strong candidates across the league.” Sounds like they are looking for an outside guy.

Sounds like they're looking at everybody and doing their due diligence. It's smart and thorough.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um, I'm NOT a dude. You're entitled to your opinion but I'll never be mistaken for a "dude". I'm a grown up...I don't use such brain dead terms.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I suppose you're above the use of slang? I don't think it was an insult.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, could I just say right now a big NO to Russ Ball? He's a good negotiator and should keep that role but I feel as a GM he would be TT without the scouting experience.

If it weren't for the Press-Gazette reporting that we would lose the other three if Russ Ball was promoted, he'd be my number one choice. I think part of TTs downfall was that he was a scout at heart; and when he found "his guy" because of the power he wielded, he could commit to said prospect for the Draft. How many awful picks over the years were made despite Wolf, Gutenkunst, Highsmith, etc saying, "Teddy don't do it." Because Ball isn't a top evaluator, he can field all the analysis from the others, and then probably(hopefully) make the most objective decision on who's best for the team come Draft Day. If he adheres to Ron Wolf's strategy, we should have no concern of him going after FAs in the offseason.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting comments from Highsmith upon taking his new job with the Browns.

I think there are more issues in house than they are allowing out. But finally everyone has had enough of the same ****. This season has finally allowed for many people to be exposed in the organization. They all owe Rodgers for keeping so many employed.

H

HardRightEdge

"McGinn points to “public images” of Thompson and “some recent interaction” with team executives as the impetus for the move, listing various factors that contributed to the conclusion that Thompson’s health prevents him from continuing in the job."

Wonder if the cut of him slack-jawed staring into space during the MIN game did it in for him. :laugh:
I would not necessarily laugh that off. Thompson has been sliding mentally for awhile. You’d have to be blind (or should I say deaf) not to see and hear his struggles speaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

So, Murphy says he’s hired a consultant for the GM search. Any thoughts on who that might be? Ron Wolf would have a conflict of interest one presumes. Thompson in his special assistant role? I highly doubt it. Brandt maybe?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, Murphy says he’s hired a consultant for the GM search. Any thoughts on who that might be? Ron Wolf would have a conflict of interest one presumes. Thompson in his special assistant role? I highly doubt it. Brandt maybe?

"Murphy said the Packers will use Jed Hughes of the consulting firm Korn Ferry to assist with the search. It’s the same firm that brought Murphy to the Packers as president in 2007."

- Demovsky

If you ask me, something about that stinks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts