Ted Thompson Era Should Be Over

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I understand it, that would by Murphy and the Executive Committee who oversee TT. I have read that TT is pretty much free to run the football side of the Packers, but ultimately, he has to answer to Murphy and the EC.
Some disturbing things I've read about Murphy recently. He sounds like a figurehead; just goes to league meetings, hobnobs and has cocktails with the owners. He sounds more like Ted's #1 sycophant than his boss. The worst one; 'he doesn't like to make decisions'.
As for the EC; there's so little about them that I have to wonder if they even exist.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Some disturbing things I've read about Murphy recently. He sounds like a figurehead; just goes to league meetings, hobnobs and has cocktails with the owners. He sounds more like Ted's #1 sycophant than his boss. The worst one; 'he doesn't like to make decisions'.
As for the EC; there's so little about them that I have to wonder if they even exist.

Do you have a source? Or just speculation?

This article makes it sound like Murphy has been pretty productive and keeps himself pretty busy.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...de-1265-packers-reflect-mark-murphy/86570596/

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. There is some truth in this however, a major difference between the two franchises is the Pats are not as dogmatic as the Packers. They seem to have a "whatever works" philosophy whereas the Packers tend to pound square pegs into round holes both in terms of personnel and scheme.

A better and more ironic comparison is between the Packers and Steelers. McCarthy is from Pittsburgh and Dom Capers is from the Steelers school. TT's philosophy is very much in line with the Pittsburgh grow within and stability is the ultimate virtue. Generally, I like it. I'd rather be one of those franchises that is always in the conversation when it comes to picking a champion every year than one of those teams that is 12-4 or 4-12 and nothing in between. However, another irony is that the Pack and Steelers were both bounced a game away from the Super Bowl on the same day. Both teams have the same dilemma, the clock is ticking on the Rodgers and Roethlisberger eras and tough decisions have to be made in this offseason. It will be interesting to see if either franchises bend a bit from orthodoxy.

Please somebody contact a reporter who will ask this straight up as a question to Mark Murphy.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love it if Ted stepped down so the franchise could do the little things with the roster, draft better on defense. Make the moves that he seems unwilling to do. But to expect Murphy to fire the GM of a team that just went to the championship is totally unrealistic, no?

I think Murphy wants to make sure the Packers are in the playoffs every year, and the money keeps flowing in. He's the last guy in the world that's going to fire or nudge Thompson out.

We all may need to prepare ourselves for the day it's announced Thompson was extended a couple more years.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we beat Atlanta fully healthy either. After seeing them destroy the Patriots for the title tonight.....we weren't winning.

That doesn't excuse TT. He still has some work to do...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we beat Atlanta fully healthy either. After seeing them destroy the Patriots for the title tonight.....we weren't winning.

That doesn't excuse TT. He still has some work to do...
You are on fire. About as accurate as everything else lol

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Next time someone brings up the Packers epic collapse in the NFCCG against the Seahawks.....well...."thanks" Atlanta. :coffee:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. I'm thinking Atlanta feels worse than we did two years ago....

They have to. A bigger comeback over a longer period of time on the biggest stage.

No way of ever knowing, but this is why I keep insisting on that the SB is the only game that counts. A few years from now, I'd bet that mostly only Packer and Seahawk fans will remember THAT game, while even casual NFL fans will be talking about last night forever.

D

Deleted member 6794

We all may need to prepare ourselves for the day it's announced Thompson was extended a couple more years.

After reading several articles in which Murphy was quoted last week I agree that it seems he rather tends to extend Thompson's contract than replacing him as the team's general manager.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you have a source? Or just speculation?

This article makes it sound like Murphy has been pretty productive and keeps himself pretty busy.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...de-1265-packers-reflect-mark-murphy/86570596/

The above was from an article I read a couple of weeks ago; either Silverstein or Rodney from Packersnotes.com, or it could have been off of sportsspyder.com.
That's also the last time I do the source dance; if I say I heard, read or saw something, I did. I've got no reason to lie about it or make it up. If it's my opinion, I'll state that.
Everyone do their own homework or legwork. As for my posts such as the above quoted one, take it or leave it, I don't care.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love it if Ted stepped down so the franchise could do the little things with the roster, draft better on defense. Make the moves that he seems unwilling to do. But to expect Murphy to fire the GM of a team that just went to the championship is totally unrealistic, no?

I think Murphy wants to make sure the Packers are in the playoffs every year, and the money keeps flowing in. He's the last guy in the world that's going to fire or nudge Thompson out.

Man don't say that. I'd be devastated to the fifth power!!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers simply haven't done enough to win a SB in the last 6 yrs...and that's exactly why they haven't. The Patriots needed some help at WR..do they promote a guy from the practice squad? No, they sign Malcom Floyd..granted he didn't play much I attribute that to his unfamiliarity with their playbook..but we've seen first hand that he can so. They needed another pass catching Tightend even tho they had an all pro in the slot. Did they wait two or three years to find a guy? No, they sign Martellus Bennett.

This organization is always a day late and a dollar short with everything I swear. TB may very well be the most decorated QB of all time... but by the time Rodgers finishes he will probably Be the best to ever play the position in manys eyes. Including outside of Green Bay. There's a difference between most decorated and best. Unless Rodgers goes to another team I dont see him catching TB unless the Packers go on a Patriot type run which I dont see us ever doing with this front office, and current group running the team. I'm still hopeful Rodgers gets at least 1 more....but even that's dying every season now smh. What a freaking shame.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The above was from an article I read a couple of weeks ago; either Silverstein or Rodney from Packersnotes.com, or it could have been off of sportsspyder.com.
That's also the last time I do the source dance; if I say I heard, read or saw something, I did. I've got no reason to lie about it or make it up. If it's my opinion, I'll state that.
Everyone do their own homework or legwork. As for my posts such as the above quoted one, take it or leave it, I don't care.

I'm not doubting that you read it. But as you know, what we read on the internet isn't always true. I just found it odd for someone to imply that Murphy is "just a figurehead" and only "hobnobbing with owners and going to league meetings". I don't doubt that he is doing those things, since that is part of his job. But I think he has also been instrumental in a lot of the business side of Lambeau Field as well as the Title Town District.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers simply haven't done enough to win a SB in the last 6 yrs...and that's exactly why they haven't. The Patriots needed some help at WR..do they promote a guy from the practice squad? No, they sign Malcom Floyd..granted he didn't play much I attribute that to his unfamiliarity with their playbook..but we've seen first hand that he can so. They needed another pass catching Tightend even tho they had an all pro in the slot. Did they wait two or three years to find a guy? No, they sign Martellus Bennett.

This organization is always a day late and a dollar short with everything I swear.

I agree. Belichick seems to be 1-5 steps ahead of everyone. Part of that is his confidence in himself, his coaches and his players. Some may view it as arrogance, but he is willing to take chances on immediate payoffs and manages to keep a good eye on the future AND uses all the tools available to him to do it.

Belichick is driving all alone at 110 MPH on the autobahn, while TT is in the carpool lane, continually checking all of his mirrors. Or if I could, since my name implies it. Belichick is really good at high stakes poker, knowing all the right moves to win the big pots and the tournament. TT is more of a low stakes player. Playing fewer hands and only hands he knows well. Not willing to bluff or risk drawing cards to improve a hand, just content thinking he knows the game well and being able to go home with a little more money then he arrived with.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not doubting that you read it. But as you know, what we read on the internet isn't always true. I just found it odd for someone to imply that Murphy is "just a figurehead" and only "hobnobbing with owners and going to league meetings". I don't doubt that he is doing those things, since that is part of his job. But I think he has also been instrumental in a lot of the business side of Lambeau Field as well as the Title Town District.

BTW, wasn't my intent to be snippy, but in rereading it, that's what it seemed like, even to me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
BTW, wasn't my intent to be snippy, but in rereading it, that's what it seemed like, even to me.
:tup: No worries, I didn't take it as being snippy at all. I trust you read it somewhere, we all do that. I was more curious as to who was saying it and the facts surrounding it.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This organization is always a day late and a dollar short with everything I swear. TB may very well be the most decorated QB of all time... but by the time Rodgers finishes he will probably Be the best to ever play the position in manys eyes. Including outside of Green Bay. There's a difference between most decorated and best. Unless Rodgers goes to another team I dont see him catching TB unless the Packers go on a Patriot type run which I dont see us ever doing with this front office, and current group running the team. I'm still hopeful Rodgers gets at least 1 more....but even that's dying every season now smh. What a freaking shame.
Like I hate the mentality that MM installs in this team head "its about who gets hot in december" No its about building a team that can get hot in september and stay hot through feb. Patriots build to win every game they pick up FA's to win. Watching the SB the patriots showed the world how much far ahead mentally they are then everyone else. If that was MM coaching we would have been out of time outs by 3rd quarter lol.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I hate the mentality that MM installs in this team head "its about who gets hot in december" No its about building a team that can get hot in september and stay hot through feb. Patriots build to win every game they pick up FA's to win. Watching the SB the patriots showed the world how much far ahead mentally they are then everyone else. If that was MM coaching we would have been out of time outs by 3rd quarter lol.

I hit disagree because this is just ludicrous to assume that MM is telling the guys "it's ok boys, we don't have to go 100% now cuz the real season starts in late November early December." The "getting hot late" thing is not a coaching philosophy, it's a fan's perception of how they believe the season can go if a team starts clicking in the late phases. I'm pretty sure every coach in football looks at every week as a must win.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Personally, I think the Packers philosophy of Draft and develop, puts them in the position of hoping to win with the young newer players at the beginning of the year but be seasoned enough in the later half to start winning more consistently. The problem with this philosophy and we saw it this year, it banks on no major injuries at certain positions as well as those young guys being able to improve/step it up. Also, the possibility of some of those early losses are going to cost you homefield advantage in the playoffs. This year we got dinged right away at CB and with only young inexperienced guys, that never made the step needed, it cost us.

I know this has been debated, but I also think choosing to spend most of the preseason with your starters in street clothes or on the bench, while you give all the young guys reps, has something to do with the Packers slow start as well.

Of course, all this doesn't explain the 2015 season when the Packers started 6-0. :D

Last edited:

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hit disagree because this is just ludicrous to assume that MM is telling the guys "it's ok boys, we don't have to go 100% now cuz the real season starts in late November early December." The "getting hot late" thing is not a coaching philosophy, it's a fan's perception of how they believe the season can go if a team starts clicking in the late phases. I'm pretty sure every coach in football looks at every week as a must win.
Ive herd in numerous pressers from numerous guys on the team saying things about getting hot in late november and december now i dont know word for word i cant remember. I wish that was true about the must win every game part. I feel if that were true i dont think the pack would have had 6 losses. I felt there would have been FA's signings if that were true what you say.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ive herd in numerous pressers from numerous guys on the team saying things about getting hot in late november and december now i dont know word for word i cant remember. I wish that was true about the must win every game part. I feel if that were true i dont think the pack would have had 6 losses. I felt there would have been FA's signings if that were true what you say.

My guess is that TT doesn't sign as many FA's or make midseason acquisitions, because he has too much faith in "his own guys", ones he has hand picked. While that is fine for building depth and eventual starters, it can create some holes like it did at CB and RB this year, when injuries wiped out most of the experience and "Teddies own" couldn't shoulder the load.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That doesn't mean that Mike McCarthy just told them to take the first half of the season off and not do anything till late. It's probably more like they didn't want to quit football until the season was over and believed as long as they still could do it, they'd better get hot in the months ahead.

Also, we had 6 losses lest you forget, because (aside from the defense problems) our offense was still in a hangover from last year at the start of this year, and Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers got off on the wrong foot. Looks like they were eventually able to bury the hatchet.

And what Ted Thompson does with FAs or not has no correlation to what MM does in the locker room. Ted's just sticking to his guns (which I've already called him out for in needing to do more). But Mike McCarthy doesn't go running into his office trying to do his job for him, and Ted doesn't go coming down into the locker room trying to figure out what MM is doing and meddling in there. When that kind of thing happens, nothing good ever comes out of it (See Indianapolis).

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that TT doesn't sign as many FA's or make midseason acquisitions, because he has too much faith in "his own guys", ones he has hand picked. While that is fine for building depth and eventual starters, it can create some holes like it did at CB and RB this year, when injuries wiped out most of the experience and "Teddies own" couldn't shoulder the load.

Your going to argue TT didn't try and solve the RB situation throughout the year?

You got an argument at CB I'd wager but RB? Really?

Members online

No members online now.