Teams believe Jaylon Smith out for 2016 season - at least

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Sky King

Reaction score
The Packers came so close once again this past season -- maybe only a player or two away. The difference-maker in 2016 could very well be a rookie or FA. It could be the guy who gets picked instead of Smith. The point is that the team needs somebody who can contribute immediately towards making the team better now, especially as close as they are to reaching the SB.

I can see taking a later round flyer on this guy but anything sooner would only weaken the team for this upcoming season. Even then, nobody can say for sure he'll be able to pick-up where he left off. I hope TT picks a surer thing and not a non-contributor for 2016. In a left-handed way picking Smith in a later round may equate to the picking of Hundley in a later round last draft. You know you're not going to get anything substantial from him right away but at least it's not costing the team a potential starter as they wait for the non-ready player to finally get up to speed.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If that is the case, then TT would have to find a stop gap FA to plug in while Smith rehabs until 2017. Not sure if TT and MM want to give up a pick for something that might not even pan out until a year later or even that if the damager is more serious than Smith is letting on.

Once again, teams will get another chance to see how his rehab is doing before the draft. I would only like the Packers to take a gamble on him if the medical staff is absolutely sure he will fully recover from the injury. In that case Freeman or Derrick Johnson should be considered as a short-term solution.