TE situation after Bills game...

Reaction score
Steele got injured, but from what I have read, it doesn't seem as if he did anything out of the ordinary against the Bills. Now with him injured, and Martin injury prone and currently injured, and Bubba without a contract and no tender signed, where is our TE position go from here on in? Mchugh is a player they are high on, and another post had a note on how TT is going out to search for a veteran TE. Any one in particular you want to see get signed, besides Bubba? Me personally, I'll say Bubba anyway. :twisted:

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its inevitable we'll pick up a TE off the waiver wire next week or once the last round of cuts are made. Steele will be gone for sure. I'd like to see Martin out on his *** as well. I think Tyrone Davis gave Martin the naked pictures of Sherman's wife before he got cut. :D I see no other reason why David Martin is still on this roster.
However, I would not cave to Bubba's demands. Bubba will be on our opening day roster.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey how are those two TE's doing umm..... Humphrey and Fleming?
And also didn't Walls like get caught for using steriods?

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Cheezy, yea Walls was caught using steroids. Humphrey and Fleming are long shots anyway, although in our current situation, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make it. Humphrey is really athletic as far as I have heard, but I haven't read a whole lot on Fleming yet.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see anything wrong with the tight ends last night. I saw Steele make a good block, and I saw McHugh make one or two catches, and that's all I remember. There are long stretches where Bubba is invisible too because the Packers do not feature the tight end in the passing game as much as they used to. Which is why Bubba is not worth the $3.5 million that he is asking for. I'm not worried too much about the tight ends. Martin is pretty good, but he's injury prone. Steele seems to be improving. Maybe McHugh can sneak onto the roster too. A quality veteran would be nice if Bubba does not play this year, but I expect this to be a powerful offense with or without him.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion if all the TEs were here and healthy, there aren't 3 of them worthy of a roster spot. I hope they only keep 2 Tight Ends so they can keep an extra fullback in Vonta Leach who I think has more promise than guys like Steele.

They end up putting in Barry for a lot of the extra TE packages anyway when they run the U71.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey i heard on kffl.com that the Packers may have offered a contract similar to the one Jimmy Kliensasser got last year.

The Packers are believed to have offered a contract similar to the one Minnesota Vikings TE Jim Kleinsasser signed last year. The Vikings gave Kleinsasser a $4.25 million signing bonus as part of a five-year, $15 million contract.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheezy said:
Hey i heard on kffl.com that the Packers may have offered a contract similar to the one Jimmy Kliensasser got last year.

The Packers are believed to have offered a contract similar to the one Minnesota Vikings TE Jim Kleinsasser signed last year. The Vikings gave Kleinsasser a $4.25 million signing bonus as part of a five-year, $15 million contract.
If thats true Bubba should still hold out. He's better than Kleinsasser.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
vikefan said:
Cheezy said:

If thats true Bubba should still hold out. He's better than Kleinsasser.

bubba is not a hold out he does not have a contract only an offer

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, then he should wait for a better offer. The nerve of the Packers offering the same type of contract a lowly Viking has! :mrgreen:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
vikefan said:
Ok, then he should wait for a better offer. The nerve of the Packers offering the same type of contract a lowly Viking has! :mrgreen:

Yea I can't believe they haven't got this guy into camp. If it was a WR I could understand ... somewhat that is because we have plenty of depth there but damn man TE we don't have ANYONE now we're jacked.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe we haven't at least looked at Chad Lewis. He's a free agent. He sprained a foot in the NFC championship game last year and the Eagles haven't resigned him. He's worth a look at least, IMHO. Even if Bubba signs before the season, if we had Lewis he'd be a fine backup and certainly more talented than any other TE on our current roster.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard on packers.com that if Franks doesnt sign the tender or they dont go after a veteran tight end, which they most likely will, they will still use the U-71 package but make it a three wide reciever set. And use the three wide reciever set more often.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone paid any attention to the TE situation with the Chargers where Gates was not under contract and was holding out similar to the way Bubba is?

I don't understand the Gates situation. I don't like it when players like Mike McKenzie were under contract and hold out, because I think they should honor their contract. But I was under the impression that Gates wasn't under contract, and that the Chargers told him he must sign a contract and report to training camp by last Saturday or be suspended for at least three games. He missed the cutoff date and has since signed a one year contract, but he's still going to be suspended 3 games for missing the Saturday cutoff date the Chargers imposed.

I don't see how a team can suspend a guy for missing a cutoff date when he wasn't under contract in the first place. That would be like the Packers telling Bubba Franks to sign the 1 year tender by this Friday or we'll suspend you.

That doesn't seem right or legal to me. Is there more to the story that I'm missing, because I don't understand how a team can do that to a player who isn't under contract? Below was the ultimatum the Chargers made to Gates. I want Bubba back, but I'd hate to see the Packers ever do that to a player the way the Chargers did to their TE Gates.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2137595

Members online

Latest posts