Tactics under Matt LeFleur

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since LeFleur comes from the McVay tree, do you think we could run the ball as well as the Rams did Saturday?

McVay has managed to have Gurley run against the least amount of 8 man fronts compared to just about any RB in the league. Not only that, Gurley is at near top speed when he hits the line. He's also a great pass catcher. I don't think any of our guys will be at his level, but maybe he gets a bit more out of Jones as a runner.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe if we have that oline? And Jones needs to stay healthy to be the focus of anything. 10-15 is about all he can handle per game it seems.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe if we have that oline? And Jones needs to stay healthy to be the focus of anything. 10-15 is about all he can handle per game it seems.

I agree with that - limiting his workload to keep him involved and off the injury report. I think he's a Tevin Coleman - good for relief. I also don't think Jamaal is our workhorse. I just don't think he's that talented. I will not be surprised if we use an early pick on a RB.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
So someone help me out here. I should know this, I suppose, but I do not. Does the head coaching change mean the players have to learn a whole new playbook? Or is there some sort of transitional thing that happens? If they have to learn a whole new playbook, that will be quite an adjustment the first season the coach is here.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
of course there are only so many patterns that can be run, and "holes" to hit as a RB etc, but they'll likely all be called something else and as they pertain to each other and how they're used within a certain change of "scheme" within the play, will all require a learning curve. Blocking schemes, protections etc will be similar but will also be called something else and probably have different subtleties to go along with them. Some curves are steeper than others and I'm not sure how this will go. People should be prepared to have some patience though

D

Deleted member 6794

You mean the 2020 guarantee? According to the overthecap.com notes, that $5.1 mil in salary for 2020 is not guaranteed until the 3rd. day of the 2020 league year. So, if a team rented him for a year for $7 mil in cap and then cut him before the deadline sometime in March 2020, they would have zero dead cap for 2020.

Actually $5.1 million of Johnson's base salary in 2020 are fully guaranteed, meaning a team acquiring him would be on the hook for it.

I will not be surprised if we use an early pick on a RB.

The Packers should add more depth to the running back position but not spend an early rounder on it.

H

HardRightEdge

Actually $5.1 million of Johnson's base salary in 2020 are fully guaranteed, meaning a team acquiring him would be on the hook for it.
That's right. I misread the note. That's even worse. I would say he's untradeable.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers should add more depth to the running back position but not spend an early rounder on it.

The run game is really important to the Falcons, Rams and 49ers offenses. Breida, Freeman and Coleman have had their successes but these smaller backs have had their share of injuries. I think Jamaal's upside is limited. I'm just saying it won't surprise me if they decide to go with a bigger back. Harris is 220lbs and has been going in the late first in mocks I've seen.

D

Deleted member 6794

The run game is really important to the Falcons, Rams and 49ers offenses. Breida, Freeman and Coleman have had their successes but these smaller backs have had their share of injuries. I think Jamaal's upside is limited. I'm just saying it won't surprise me if they decide to go with a bigger back. Harris is 220lbs and has been going in the late first in mocks I've seen.

It's definitely possible the Packers add another running back this offseason. I don't see any reason to draft one in the first round as it's possible to receive great value at the position later in the draft though.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's definitely possible the Packers add another running back this offseason. I don't see any reason to draft one in the first round as it's possible to receive great value at the position later in the draft though.

It's more likely we hope we get an equivalent player to Jamaal Williams with a later round pick. David Johnson was a second round pick, same with Leveon Bell, Kamara a 3rd. I can't see us using a day 3 pick and hoping to get anybody who will make a difference.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yikes. Really hope that doesn't happen. I don't want him on the Packers but I'd rather he be in GB than in Chicago.
It could blow up in their face, but then again it might not. Mack has worked out for them.
As things stand now, the Bears don't scare me. But I don't want to see them adding weapons.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could blow up in their face, but then again it might not. Mack has worked out for them.
As things stand now, the Bears don't scare me. But I don't want to see them adding weapons.

and Hunt stands to earn a significant suspension. Likely, they're expressing interest - as are probably a lot of teams, the Eagles at one point were mentioned IIRC. The looming suspension is what will determine if anybody takes him on.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take him here (assuming we needed him).

The expectation of players to be saints is unrealistic and doesn't make sense.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's more likely we hope we get an equivalent player to Jamaal Williams with a later round pick. David Johnson was a second round pick, same with Leveon Bell, Kamara a 3rd. I can't see us using a day 3 pick and hoping to get anybody who will make a difference.

This season six of the top 20 running backs were either drafted on day 3 or went undrafted. I don't see the need to spend an early rounder on the position with Jones and Williams on the roster.

FWIW Johnson was a third round pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, as long as you fertilize that Tree with a Todd Gurley, a CJ Anderson and the Rams OL.

CJ Anderson isn't tought to duplicate. The key is the Rams oline and some creativity. Also, and perhaps most importantly, the team needs to actually be in position to run the ball, which means they need to actually score enough on offense to keep the game close and not abandon the run.

H

HardRightEdge

...which means they need to actually score enough on offense to keep the game close and not abandon the run.
Right. There's theory and then there's the practice that the situation dictates. Score early and often while fielding a sold defense and you are bound to run the ball more.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Davante Adams is highly impressed with LaFleur after their first meeting:

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...rs-offense-will-be-new-school-under-new-coach

Good read. Here's some highlights:
"It was a great first impression," Adams told ESPN. "Great guy, young cat, which is great. You can be personable with him. He’s a good guy. I like his philosophy. He wants to bring in a new kind of innovative style -- an illusion of complexity. I like the idea of that. He kind of explained that to me. A great first impression so we’ll see how it goes."
"A little more innovative, some more ‘new-school’ stuff, not necessarily trick plays," Adams said. "I think the RPO stuff will still stay alive, some of his crossing patterns, a lot of different things that maybe we didn’t do as much of in the past, he’ll bring that in.
"And moving me around, to get me different ways to get touches too is going to be big -- moving me inside, outside, just different opportunities, putting me in spots where I can really maximize my potential."

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moving Adams (or any top WR) to the slot helps so much.

Such a simple thing that makes things easier. Hence the illusion of complexity...I love it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts