Tactics under Matt LeFleur

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does a decision like "if you get X yards on 3rd, we go for it on 4th; if you get less, we kick" have to be done in a split second?

I can get why MLF decided to kick it there. We needed to get into the end zone twice in that possession just to tie the damn game (and why I still bristle at his decision to go for 2 in the 3rd). Our D was playing pretty well in the 4th. If we got the 6 without the 2 point conversion there we still need to stop Tampa and get the ball back. I will admit I was skeptical that we could have gotten into the end zone twice there.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No problem with fans questioning the call, either way. What I was addressing was the contention that the call had to be made on the spur of the moment.

Badass Badger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

Glad you don't parse the replies to ensure they support your position. Might have run, would have run - the point is still that he should have known.

It should be pretty easy to understand there's a difference between Rodgers saying he might have called a different play or declaring he would have.

Why does a decision like "if you get X yards on 3rd, we go for it on 4th; if you get less, we kick" have to be done in a split second?

The Packers drove 60 yards to the Bucs 8-yard line in 2:11 minutes without having a timeout. Do you think MLF and Rodgers had time to talk about various contingencies in those situations??? With a maximum of only 25 seconds between plays to talk about the next one I prefer them to communicate about the play selection instead of what happens next if they get X yards on a play.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It should be pretty easy to understand there's a difference between Rodgers saying he might have called a different play or declaring he would have.

The difference is probably him wanting to soften his criticism/blame of MLF. Also, the point is that Rodgers should have known what they'd do on 4th down.

With a maximum of only 25 seconds between plays to talk about the next one I prefer them to communicate about the play selection instead of what happens next if they get X yards on a play.

Even MLF wishes that he had communicated the 4th down decision to Rodgers.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers drove 60 yards to the Bucs 8-yard line in 2:11 minutes without having a timeout. Do you think MLF and Rodgers had time to talk about various contingencies in those situations??? With a maximum of only 25 seconds between plays to talk about the next one I prefer them to communicate about the play selection instead of what happens next if they get X yards on a play.

I would think that someone with the experience that AR has would be able to (and, apparently, want to) digest "(play call), and if we get (this much), we're going for it" - took me 2-3 seconds to get that out. More to the point, the bold seems to be the basis for a lot of your evaluation.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sure. Now, does that change the contention that AR would have liked to know?

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, the point is that Rodgers should have known what they'd do on 4th down.

We will have to agree to disagree on the topic.

More to the point, the bold seems to be the basis for a lot of your evaluation.

It's sad that someone being able to form an opinion is such a strange concept for that many people.

Sure. Now, does that change the contention that AR would have liked to know?

It's fine that Rodgers would have liked to know but in my opinion there's no need to communicate it with him.

What are they going to do if he doesn't like the decision??? Argue about it while they should concentrate on the next play ahead.

I would be fine with them discussing about it during a timeout but there's no time to waste in that situation.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think MLF is flexible or a quick fixer once a problem is known. He seems to be a good planner but if the plan doesn't work, seems a bit stuck in.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think MLF is flexible or a quick fixer once a problem is known. He seems to be a good planner but if the plan doesn't work, seems a bit stuck in.

I do sense he despises knee jerk or overreactions...the cost of never doing those is not being quick in responses, he almost needs multiple points of confirmation on something isn't working before adjusting.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do sense he despises knee jerk or overreactions...the cost of never doing those is not being quick in responses, he almost needs multiple points of confirmation on something isn't working before adjusting.
If those multiple points take half a season or more to get..... The flaws were obvious to everyone watching.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reminds me of Mike McCarthy, who won a playoff game last night. Congratulations, Mike. His philosophy was always Next Man Up, and he expected the next guy to fill in those shoes, even if he wasn't on the same talent level of the man he was replacing. He wanted the players to adjust to the scheme, rather than the scheme adjust to the players.