1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tactics under Matt LeFleur

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by XPack, Jan 8, 2019.

1. PackAttack12

PackAttack12 R-E-L-A-X

Packer Fan Since:
    Makes sense. The threat of a running game will help any quarterback in the NFL, especially against the league's best defense. He may not need it in some other games this year, but if nothing else I'm glad that we have a head coach that's implementing the run, and emphasizing taking advantage of action off of run fakes.

When everything comes together, it's going to be difficult to stop. And really fun to watch.

2. XPack

XPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I'm not a big fan of this offense. We need to get AR involved in more...as in deep throws. The moving the chains is well and good, but it needs to be balanced with long penetration.

3. gatorpack

gatorpack Cheesehead

In fairness the o-line didn't give him much time. My only complaint would be better timed play action

4. XPack

XPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    It's surprising as play action was supposed to be MLF favorite, but we aren't doing good. O-libe was awesome in 1Q, but regressed badly there after. Must be good tape watching this week.

5. PackAttack12

PackAttack12 R-E-L-A-X

Packer Fan Since:
    The one 3rd quarter drive where we were running it down their throats, and the first pass play after that sequence was a 5 wide, empty backfield look. The play predictably went no where.

Why spend all of that time running the football for chunk plays when you aren’t going to benefit from what play action opportunities it provides?

I’m not panicking yet, but there doesn’t seem to be much of a fluidity with MLF’s play calling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OldSchool101

OldSchool101 Peerless Beer, Lacrosse WI

Packer Fan Since:
    I also still think it’s a bit premature to holler “Wolf”.
    We’re 2 weeks into regular season with a new HC/OC and staff trying to get their bearings. We also just played arguably 2 of the best 10 Defenses in the league back to back. The MN Defense group as a whole is just really talented. The Bears Defense is easily a top 5.

I think we’ll get a much better feel of what we’ve got Offensively during these next 2 weeks. We just need to keep piling up Wins in the meantime.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    it's definitely a work in progress, even brilliants kids have a few things to learn once they get on the job, it's no different in the NFL. and I haven't rewatched the game and only watching live, my memory is a bit fuzzy for some reason LOL, but didn't Jones go out with an injury for a bit? was that the same time?

8. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    and on a side note, where the heck is the Captain? Football is finally here and I don't think i've seen him around for 2 weeks? Did I miss something?

9. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Packer Fan Since:
    PFF finally got to his application.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. PackAttack12

PackAttack12 R-E-L-A-X

Packer Fan Since:
    If my memory serves correctly, on the drive I'm referencing, he was the one wreaking havoc.

11. PackAttack12

PackAttack12 R-E-L-A-X

Packer Fan Since:
    You owe me a new monitor. :D

We love ya, cap!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Under the new regime, the Pack went after Billy Turner and drafted Elgton Jenkins....Two big, physical interior lineman. I believe the intent here is to place an emphasis on running the ball and relying less on finesse and more on physicality. I think I like that.

That doesn't mean they're taking the ball out of Rodgers hands, however, it just means they're giving him a legitimate run option. In the Vikings game in week two Aaron Jones had twenty-something carries - Something the previous regime never let happen. Jones runs were mostly efficient and productive against a defense that had a reputation for being stout run-stoppers. Jamal Williams provided a nice change-of-pace dynamic as well.

It's early, and the new offense is a work in progress, but I like where this is headed: The days of our quarterback having to carry the team on his back becoming a thing pf the past. Rodgers will still have his moments, but perhaps he will not have to have them every week in order for his team to have a chance. I believe this is the way to go.

13. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    we ran the ball easily as much under the "old regime" people have short memories. Our averages by season

06- 27 per
    07-24.25
    2008 27.3 rushes per game
    09-27.3
    10- 26.3 i started figuring QB rushes (scrambles) 4 per game
    11-24.6 and 3.75
    12- 27 and 3.4
    13 28.6 and 1.8
    14- 27.2 and 2.7
    15 27.25 and 3.6
    16-23.4 and 4.2
    '17- 24.1 and 1.5 this was the Hundley season
    '18 coach was fired lots wrong and 20 attempts with 2.3 from the QB we threw 70% or the time I think, but that was the anomaly not the norm.

2019 in 2 games 27.5 per game and 2 by the QB averages. Lots more season to go to get a real representation but point being, the old regime ran the ball more than you remember

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. mradtke66

mradtke66 Cheesehead

I'm hoping for good things, but I don't think these players are that much of a change.

Jenkins looked poor run blocking this pre-season. Pretty good, save for some holds, in pass protection.

Turner is more of G/T tweener. I don't have an opinion on his effectiveness yet.

15. OldSchool101

Packer Fan Since:
    I’m not currently looking at stats, but the total # of plays involving RB’s seemed to have spiked. We’re using the RBs much more overall (passing game etc.)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  16. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    if comparing to the past 2 seasons, I'd agree, if comparing to the entirety of the "old regime" i'm going to disagree all day long.

17. XPack

XPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    We run quite a bit when we had Lacy/Starks iirc. 2017 and 18 were obviously duds for our rushing.

18. OldSchool101

Packer Fan Since: