Tactics under Matt LeFleur

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me in what ways MLF is better than MM? I can't come up with much right now.

Play clock management? Still the same crap with MLF.

Receivers can't get open? We blamed MM's outdated scheme for that. I guess MLF's scheme sucks too.

Fourth down calls? Either last year or the year before MM had a bad play call on 4th down that failed, and the following week he made the exact same call that failed again! I thought MLF was supposed to be more creative than that, but he did the exact same thing last game against Carolina and last night against the 9ers!

Usage of Aaron Jones? There is the perception that MLF is using Jones a lot more than MM did. But looking at Jones game log this season, he's had one game with 19 carries, one game with 23 carries, and all the remaining games he's had 13 carries or less. So not really that much different from MM.
16 and 3

What were you saying?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
16-3 under MLF as of now. Better start than any of the coaches we've had before including Lombardi and Lambeau. And 2 games without Davante and Clark plus other injuries and still get 122 points in 3 games. AR12 looks rejuvenated!

Go Matt Go!

Actually more than two games without Adams, didn't he miss 4 last year or so with that toe?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Solid breakdown for those that recognize the "mesh" term and those that don't a like!!
I watched the video. Almost surprised we haven’t been flagged for the picks. I didn’t see it used last night when I thought about looking for it. Anyone else see it employed against New Orleans?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched the video. Almost surprised we haven’t been flagged for the picks. I didn’t see it used last night when I thought about looking for it. Anyone else see it employed against New Orleans?

I wanna say the dropped crosser pass by Lazard maybe? Otherwise I don't have one popping out in my memory.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Still to soon on MLF evaluation, he’s no McCarthy yet, let’s give him a chance and see how he does.
Agree but the early returns are certainly more positive than Pettine.

Edit: I did see that LaFleur did get blasted at least once in last nights shoutbox.
Shocking, I know, eh?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So when is the cut off for not "too soon"?
he had a good year and sees to be off to a really good start this year. But we've all been around long enough to have seen teams peak and decline, come and go, flash and disappear. MLF seems to be getting better as he gets more experienced, i'd expect that and i have no complaints really so far.

But so far he hasn't really done anything or taken this team anywhere they haven't been already and he has a long tim to sustain that level of play for. a season and 3 games isn't a career. Teams will adjust to what we've been doing, injuries will happen and he'll have to adjust too, that's going to separate him from the rest if he does well.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he had a good year and sees to be off to a really good start this year. But we've all been around long enough to have seen teams peak and decline, come and go, flash and disappear. MLF seems to be getting better as he gets more experienced, i'd expect that and i have no complaints really so far.

But so far he hasn't really done anything or taken this team anywhere they haven't been already and he has a long tim to sustain that level of play for. a season and 3 games isn't a career. Teams will adjust to what we've been doing, injuries will happen and he'll have to adjust too, that's going to separate him from the rest if he does well.

We don't usually wait till end of career before evaluating players/staff. People had certain expectations when he took over and he has fulfilled most of them imo. Our game plan is more inspired and difficult to guess than MM's final years, we are less reliant of AR12 arm to power that offence. Whole O is more balanced between run, long and short passing, we are able to lose top playmakers to injury and still be competitive. I think his appointment has been a success till date.

Still work to be done on defensive side, but I'd put that under Pettine for now.

Whether we maintain consistency is a year by year debate, but I believe we have a decent enough sample size to have a informed opinion on his appointment now.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Still to soon on MLF evaluation, he’s no McCarthy yet, let’s give him a chance and see how he does.

You can't compare their career production as head coaches by any means.

However, Petals has coached his offense to 122 points through three weeks with personnel that would have McCarthy's offense imploding disastrously.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm really just so glad we don't have Mike. Nice guy but we were going nowhere fast with him. Now I like what I'm seeing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't usually wait till end of career before evaluating players/staff. People had certain expectations when he took over and he has fulfilled most of them imo. Our game plan is more inspired and difficult to guess than MM's final years, we are less reliant of AR12 arm to power that offence. Whole O is more balanced between run, long and short passing, we are able to lose top playmakers to injury and still be competitive. I think his appointment has been a success till date.

Still work to be done on defensive side, but I'd put that under Pettine for now.

Whether we maintain consistency is a year by year debate, but I believe we have a decent enough sample size to have a informed opinion on his appointment now.
I think he's doing fine too. But I think fans lose perspective because it's a what have you done for me lately league. MLF is doing a good job IMO, i like our chances. But at the same time, he hasn't taken us anywhere MM didn't take us a few times. I think perspective is important and success is difficult in this league and even more so longevity with success.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
16 and 3

What were you saying?

Man, you got a lot of time to be digging deep thru old posts. MLF is looking better now, but who cares if his regular season record is better than MM's. If MLF wins a Super Bowl, then maybe we can say he's better than MM.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Man, you got a lot of time to be digging deep thru old posts. MLF is looking better now, but who cares if his regular season record is better than MM's. If MLF wins a Super Bowl, then maybe we can say he's better than MM.
I didnt dig it up..

Someone else brought this thread back from February

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF is doing better now than MM was doing at the end of his GB career.

We all hope that he does as well as MM did during his peak here.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF is doing better now than MM was doing at the end of his GB career.

We all hope that he does as well as MM did during his peak here.

We see things from this packer offense we've never seen before: Motion, reverses, drag routes and crossing patterns, the ball being spread around to almost anyone, etc.

Last week all three tight ends were involved, and Lazard had a big game. The previous week it was Aaron Jones, both running and receiving, and MVS was more involved. Next week, who knows? MLF is keeping DC's around the league off-balance. They will likely catch up to him at some point, but for right now, at least, this Packer O is fun to watch.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We see things from this packer offense we've never seen before: Motion, reverses, drag routes and crossing patterns, the ball being spread around to almost anyone, etc.

Last week all three tight ends were involved, and Lazard had a big game. The previous week it was Aaron Jones, both running and receiving, and MVBS was more involved. Next week, who knows? MLF is keeping DC's around the league off-balance. They will likely catch up to him at some point, but for right now, at least, this Packer O is fun to watch.
Totally agree. I hope they add a couple of unseen wrinkles every week to further keep defenses guessing.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Some perspective on this offense so far, here's their points per drive against so far other recent great offenses:

-Packers, 2020: 3.73

-Patriots, 2007: 3.19
-Chiefs, 2018: 3.12
-Saints, 2011: 2.96
-Packers, 2011: 2.85
-Broncos, 2013: 2.83

Now three games and sixteen games are not the same. But this is just to say that, so far, LaFleur's offense is *significantly* better than the best offenses that we've ever seen.

It will be exciting to see how it holds up over the long haul.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Maintaining drives so far has been nearly perfect. I don’t see how the current rate can possibly continue at this high of a pace. Shocking in that they had so little time together and the injuries to the o-line has required shuffling within. It can only be graded as A+ performance by the offense so far imo.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts