Tactics under Matt LeFleur

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Makes sense. The threat of a running game will help any quarterback in the NFL, especially against the league's best defense. He may not need it in some other games this year, but if nothing else I'm glad that we have a head coach that's implementing the run, and emphasizing taking advantage of action off of run fakes.

When everything comes together, it's going to be difficult to stop. And really fun to watch.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of this offense. We need to get AR involved in more...as in deep throws. The moving the chains is well and good, but it needs to be balanced with long penetration.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In fairness the o-line didn't give him much time. My only complaint would be better timed play action

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In fairness the o-line didn't give him much time. My only complaint would be better timed play action
It's surprising as play action was supposed to be MLF favorite, but we aren't doing good. O-libe was awesome in 1Q, but regressed badly there after. Must be good tape watching this week.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The one 3rd quarter drive where we were running it down their throats, and the first pass play after that sequence was a 5 wide, empty backfield look. The play predictably went no where.

Why spend all of that time running the football for chunk plays when you aren’t going to benefit from what play action opportunities it provides?

I’m not panicking yet, but there doesn’t seem to be much of a fluidity with MLF’s play calling.

Reaction score
I also still think it’s a bit premature to holler “Wolf”.
We’re 2 weeks into regular season with a new HC/OC and staff trying to get their bearings. We also just played arguably 2 of the best 10 Defenses in the league back to back. The MN Defense group as a whole is just really talented. The Bears Defense is easily a top 5.

I think we’ll get a much better feel of what we’ve got Offensively during these next 2 weeks. We just need to keep piling up Wins in the meantime.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one 3rd quarter drive where we were running it down their throats, and the first pass play after that sequence was a 5 wide, empty backfield look. The play predictably went no where.

Why spend all of that time running the football for chunk plays when you aren’t going to benefit from what play action opportunities it provides?

I’m not panicking yet, but there doesn’t seem to be much of a fluidity with MLF’s play calling.
it's definitely a work in progress, even brilliants kids have a few things to learn once they get on the job, it's no different in the NFL. and I haven't rewatched the game and only watching live, my memory is a bit fuzzy for some reason LOL, but didn't Jones go out with an injury for a bit? was that the same time?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and on a side note, where the heck is the Captain? Football is finally here and I don't think i've seen him around for 2 weeks? Did I miss something?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
and on a side note, where the heck is the Captain? Football is finally here and I don't think i've seen him around for 2 weeks? Did I miss something?

PFF finally got to his application.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
it's definitely a work in progress, even brilliants kids have a few things to learn once they get on the job, it's no different in the NFL. and I haven't rewatched the game and only watching live, my memory is a bit fuzzy for some reason LOL, but didn't Jones go out with an injury for a bit? was that the same time?
If my memory serves correctly, on the drive I'm referencing, he was the one wreaking havoc.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Under the new regime, the Pack went after Billy Turner and drafted Elgton Jenkins....Two big, physical interior lineman. I believe the intent here is to place an emphasis on running the ball and relying less on finesse and more on physicality. I think I like that.

That doesn't mean they're taking the ball out of Rodgers hands, however, it just means they're giving him a legitimate run option. In the Vikings game in week two Aaron Jones had twenty-something carries - Something the previous regime never let happen. Jones runs were mostly efficient and productive against a defense that had a reputation for being stout run-stoppers. Jamal Williams provided a nice change-of-pace dynamic as well.

It's early, and the new offense is a work in progress, but I like where this is headed: The days of our quarterback having to carry the team on his back becoming a thing pf the past. Rodgers will still have his moments, but perhaps he will not have to have them every week in order for his team to have a chance. I believe this is the way to go.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we ran the ball easily as much under the "old regime" people have short memories. Our averages by season

06- 27 per
07-24.25
2008 27.3 rushes per game
09-27.3
10- 26.3 i started figuring QB rushes (scrambles) 4 per game
11-24.6 and 3.75
12- 27 and 3.4
13 28.6 and 1.8
14- 27.2 and 2.7
15 27.25 and 3.6
16-23.4 and 4.2
'17- 24.1 and 1.5 this was the Hundley season
'18 coach was fired lots wrong and 20 attempts with 2.3 from the QB we threw 70% or the time I think, but that was the anomaly not the norm.

2019 in 2 games 27.5 per game and 2 by the QB averages. Lots more season to go to get a real representation but point being, the old regime ran the ball more than you remember

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Under the new regime, the Pack went after Billy Turner and drafted Elgton Jenkins....Two big, physical interior lineman. I believe the intent here is to place an emphasis on running the ball and relying less on finesse and more on physicality. I think I like that.

I'm hoping for good things, but I don't think these players are that much of a change.

Jenkins looked poor run blocking this pre-season. Pretty good, save for some holds, in pass protection.

Turner is more of G/T tweener. I don't have an opinion on his effectiveness yet.

Reaction score
we ran the ball easily as much under the "old regime" people have short memories. Our averages by season

06- 27 per
07-24.25
2008 27.3 rushes per game
09-27.3
10- 26.3 i started figuring QB rushes (scrambles) 4 per game
11-24.6 and 3.75
12- 27 and 3.4
13 28.6 and 1.8
14- 27.2 and 2.7
15 27.25 and 3.6
16-23.4 and 4.2
'17- 24.1 and 1.5 this was the Hundley season
'18 coach was fired lots wrong and 20 attempts with 2.3 from the QB we threw 70% or the time I think, but that was the anomaly not the norm.

2019 in 2 games 27.5 per game and 2 by the QB averages. Lots more season to go to get a real representation but point being, the old regime ran the ball more than you remember
I’m not currently looking at stats, but the total # of plays involving RB’s seemed to have spiked. We’re using the RBs much more overall (passing game etc.)

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not currently looking at stats, but the total # of plays involving RB’s seemed to have spiked. We’re using the RBs much more overall.
if comparing to the past 2 seasons, I'd agree, if comparing to the entirety of the "old regime" i'm going to disagree all day long.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We run quite a bit when we had Lacy/Starks iirc. 2017 and 18 were obviously duds for our rushing.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He comes across as not adaptive. If a strategy doesn't work, he takes too long to change.

Also Jones seems to have regressed once Davante came back.

Couldn't get best of both.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He comes across as not adaptive. If a strategy doesn't work, he takes too long to change.

Also Jones seems to have regressed once Davante came back.

Couldn't get best of both.
LOL, he's 1 game removed from 93 yards and 3 TD's.

What do you think they didn't run last night they should have? TE screen? WR screen? Run the ball more? Try a couple deep balls to loosen them up? We got whipped up front, how do you call a cohesive game plan when you're getting whipped on the line so bad nothing works?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Oline seems to be a regular and reoccurring theme for this teams woes.
While the Oline deserves its share of blame for last night, I would still say that the Packers biggest issue on offense is that they don't have enough weapons at skilled positions. WR and TE are going to be 2 positions that need to be improved in the next year or we will just see a lot of this same thing, shut down Adams, rush 4 and try to minimize Jones.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me in what ways MLF is better than MM? I can't come up with much right now.

Play clock management? Still the same crap with MLF.

Receivers can't get open? We blamed MM's outdated scheme for that. I guess MLF's scheme sucks too.

Fourth down calls? Either last year or the year before MM had a bad play call on 4th down that failed, and the following week he made the exact same call that failed again! I thought MLF was supposed to be more creative than that, but he did the exact same thing last game against Carolina and last night against the 9ers!

Usage of Aaron Jones? There is the perception that MLF is using Jones a lot more than MM did. But looking at Jones game log this season, he's had one game with 19 carries, one game with 23 carries, and all the remaining games he's had 13 carries or less. So not really that much different from MM.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I haven't seen a big difference in the offense (yet) under MLF, I do see a change in attitude with the players. Now winning might have something to do with that and I guess we will find out in the next 5+ games if that is the case. I still don't think MM was a bad coach, I just think a change was needed and a new energy brought in. Every coach, every team has games like we have seen against the Chargers and now the 49'ers, I wouldn't panic too much and use those 2 games to conclude that MLF isn't the answer to what appeared to be a Packer team that had totally lost its energy under Mike McCarthy and was depleted of talent by a GM that fell asleep behind the wheel before Gute was hired.

This is going to take a few drafts and good FA signings to fix, we may be 8-3, but the Packers still have a ways to go before they have enough talent to be a top 5 team and enough talent to fully evaluate Matt LeFleur.

P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E

Latest posts