Super Bowl unlikely, but don't be surprised by a 4th MVP

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre probably won't be riding into the sunset with a Super Bowl trophy in hand like Elway because of the defense, but don't be surprised if he'll be hitching a 4th MVP to his saddle instead when he rides off into the sunset.

Part of the reason I feel Favre has his best chance of winning another MVP in years is because he has rededicated himself to be the best player he can be. And Favre at his best is pretty good.

The bigger reason I feel Favre has a chance to win another MVP this year is because most of the media has written off the Packers. A lot of the publications have the Packers going around 8-8. Some publications even predict a losing season for the Packers. If the Packers can win 12 games, Favre would get a lot of credit for winning games with a team that was supposed to be bad after losing 2 of its guards and a former ProBowler in Sharper. People would be jumping on the bandwagon on how Favre rededicated himself, saying how Favre carried the team on his back to get 12 wins. If Peyton Manning has another monster year and gets 12 wins, people will say he is supposed to win that many games with that team. But if Favre wins 12 games on that pathetic Packer team, he deserves an MVP to be able to win that many games.

If this Packer team can prove the national media wrong and have a solid winning season, it wouldn't surprise me if Favre got the credit and won an MVP because of it. The odds might be against it, but I think it's his best chance in years of winning another MVP. Defense wins championships, but Brett still wins games. You can always bet against him if you don't believe in him. :)

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Arizona,

I have news for you....Favre has been taking an 8-8 team (or less) and getting them to 11 or 12 wins for 5 years now....(only someone else has been getting the credit)

Unfortunately, some of you will only really know how good Favre was when he's gone..!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack 66....I would bet that NO ONE on this forum thinks Favre is not one of the top 5 QB's of all time. I'm sure I'm one of the guys you are accusing of giving someone else the credit. I think favre is hands down the best QB of all time......I just think there is enough credit to spread it around.

'Zona....I would enjoy watching Favre get #4 almost as much as another ring.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Pack 66....I would bet that NO ONE on this forum thinks Favre is not one of the top 5 QB's of all time. I'm sure I'm one of the guys you are accusing of giving someone else the credit. I think favre is hands down the best QB of all time......I just think there is enough credit to spread it around.

'Zona....I would enjoy watching Favre get #4 almost as much as another ring.
I think that Favre is number 5 of all time.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget this is still basicalliy the same team as we had last year. We may be better at saftey than we've been. We should be at least as good at defensive back and I think we are upgraded at linebacker and our defensive line may be better because of coaching. I expect that we'll be better at the end of the year than we are now. I think our biggest weakness may be lack of depth. I sure wish some of those young linemen would come around, but I suspect it's more lack of ability than it is lack of effort

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This got me wondering. If we were to win the SB this year you know Brett would most likely announce his retirement. What a way to go out. However, given the state of our D, and yes I'm optimistic that these guys can get even better, if weren't able to get Brett that last ring, do you think that a 4th MVP would be the high note on which Brett would retire? I think he has at least this year and next still in him.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cali - You just said a mouthful....

Will Brett win a 4th MVP? Highly unlikely...
Will the Packers win the SuperBowl? Pending the gods allow it and the Tarot cards fall properly... It's a slim possibility.

While it's true that Favre would retire instantly the minute the Packers do win the SuperBowl.... pending they won't, he'll be back for at least one more Season.

Does Favre deserve to win another MVP Honor? I have no doubt he'll work entirely on winning the SuperBowl and let all other chips fall where they may - it's not even a consideration or a goal as far as Brett sees it - that much I do know, it's just not his style... (Heck, aren't the media - in retrospect - acting as if they jumped the wrong bandwagon giving him that third one anyway? No one else has three.... )
Defense is definitely better this year - in fact, they are "at least" back to their 2003 Season form already... Only thing missing is Gilbert Brown. But, now, we have Colin Cole!

Favre's only focus will be getting to the SuperBowl.
If the rest of the Team doesn't have his focus, he'll probably mouth off about it.
Now, he won't be "in their faces" shouting down at them, but just the same, we all know Brett's style.

JMHO.... But, I would rather be pragmatiic and say Brett will be here into the 2006/7 Season.

packman31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett is not intrested in another MVP he is only wanting a superbowl victroy. He would not be playiing if he did not think that a superbowl victory was possible. And Im sick and tired of people saying because of the defense we can't win a superbowl.

Reaction score
The thing with Brett is simple, he is the GB PACKERS! I mean can anyone really imagine the Pack without Brett? And thats the thing, our D may not be the best in the leauge, but they won't be the worse either (hopefully). With that said, The D can only do so much, and the fact is at times they will have their moments, and at other times they will struggle. When they do struggle, it will be upto Bret to take the team on his back and carry them. To those who say that is impossible, they all need to look back to the 1-4 start to last season, and the way Farve led them to wins, even though the D wasn't respectible at all. As long as Brett is at the helm (may that continue many more years), you can never count the Pack out of the game. These Journalists will just learn the hard way.

As for how many years Brett will play, I believe if this year goes off without any problems for him, (if anyone has deserved a year of no off field distractions, its Brett), then we will see Brett probably return next year also. But one thing is for sure, if anyone has earned the right to rid eoff in the sunset, its Brett. :mrgreen:

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of what the media (or anyone else for that matter) thinks, Favre defines the term MVP. No one in this league, past or present, elevates his team the way Brett does. Over the course of Brett's career, which receivers (besides Sharpe and Walker) would have come close to doing what they did somewhere else? Antonio Freeman would have been a possession guy on any other team, and Favre made him a superstar. Same goes for a dozen other guys that have come through GB. Most (if not all) of the other "elite" quarterbacks in this league have prime talent around them. McNabb didn't do squat until TO came along, Manning has had a top 3 WR and top 3 RB his whole career. Brady, IMO, is more of a "piece of the puzzle" in NE - and I give NE all the credit in the world for defining T-E-A-M, but Brady doesn't mean nearly as much to his team as Favre does. In fact, no one does. That's why I don't think the MVP award is handled properly. It usually goes to the guy with the best numbers - that doesn't define MVP in my book. Imagine how the Packers would do if Nall or Rodgers started 16 games this year ... ... <shudder>

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packman31 said:
Brett is not intrested in another MVP he is only wanting a superbowl victroy. He would not be playiing if he did not think that a superbowl victory was possible. And Im sick and tired of people saying because of the defense we can't win a superbowl.

Ok....the Packers will win the Super Bowl even though they have a really bad defense. You know, it just sounds like B.S. when I say it but it is so much more convincing when it comes from you. Can you name even one team in NFL history that has ever played in the championship game with a defense as bad as this one?
At some point you have to stop thinking that there is a magic Packer God that makes them the exception to the rule on every issue and will over come all odds because of positive wishing.

Skoalvikes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
Favre probably won't be riding into the sunset with a Super Bowl trophy in hand like Elway because of the defense, but don't be surprised if he'll be hitching a 4th MVP to his saddle instead when he rides off into the sunset.

Part of the reason I feel Favre has his best chance of winning another MVP in years is because he has rededicated himself to be the best player he can be. And Favre at his best is pretty good.

The bigger reason I feel Favre has a chance to win another MVP this year is because most of the media has written off the Packers. A lot of the publications have the Packers going around 8-8. Some publications even predict a losing season for the Packers. If the Packers can win 12 games, Favre would get a lot of credit for winning games with a team that was supposed to be bad after losing 2 of its guards and a former ProBowler in Sharper. People would be jumping on the bandwagon on how Favre rededicated himself, saying how Favre carried the team on his back to get 12 wins. If Peyton Manning has another monster year and gets 12 wins, people will say he is supposed to win that many games with that team. But if Favre wins 12 games on that pathetic Packer team, he deserves an MVP to be able to win that many games.

If this Packer team can prove the national media wrong and have a solid winning season, it wouldn't surprise me if Favre got the credit and won an MVP because of it. The odds might be against it, but I think it's his best chance in years of winning another MVP. Defense wins championships, but Brett still wins games. You can always bet against him if you don't believe in him. :)

No the Pack are going to suck. 3 int a game does not make an MVP.

Members online

Latest posts